Sponsored

Installed the Mopar fuel filler door on my Sport S!

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Over the years, I have found that even the scumbags, dirtbags, low-lifes, trailer trash, thugs, (friggin millennials :giggle:) , etc., for the most part truly appreciate a nice ride whether it be a car or truck/Jeep. They won't dis / damage a vehicle usually. Sure if you really piss them off they will, whether you are young or old pop you up the side of your head but rarely mess with your ride.

Now, your raccoon faced X girlfriend may frigg with your ride if they catch you screwing around put they usuallyl resort to "keying" the vehicle. In closing I myself see no need for a locked gas door. Years ago when they would siphon gas from your tank but no more can they do that.

Reminds me.. In 2004 I had a brand new Class A Motor Home. Harley was on the back on a lift and I was toading/pulling a 2004 2dr. TJ. I was in Daytona Florida for Bike week with the rig. Some trailer trash slug got under the RV and poked a hole in the bottom of the gas tank. He drained about $220 worth of gas out of my tank. Fortunately, I made out on the insurance claim..
Wow that's insane..

What if I told you I don't fear the scumbags, dirtbags, low-lifes, trailer trash, or thugs but my own family? :DD
Jealousy and hate can go along way.
Sponsored

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Well, it will look real nice. You can always buy a locking gas cap for the fuel neck..

Curious why so many guy/gas want locking? No body is gonna siphon gas out of that tank.

Jury is still out whether JK aftermarket fuel doors will work on a JL. They can be had for $25+- both locking and not. Hopefully, somebody here will try the aftermarket JK offering and report here how it went. My guess is the JK offering will work on a JL. You can always buy on amazon and if no workey, return for full refund.. With the chance of saving $75 and having a custom fuel door it is well worth the energy. When I get my JL Rubi, I will probably pull off the stock fuel door and sell it. I want a unique aftermarket fuel door.

Hey.... The install is easy by the way. With the JL be very very careful when you go to pull away the tail light from where it is secured. Go easy, creep the fixture out slowly and carefully and look for a small black plastic clip that is holding the wire bundle. Un-clip carefully or you will break the black plastic clip according to reports of installers on this forum. Install will take you less then 15 min.. Look in your owner's manual where it describes how to access rear tail light.
Wanted to add to FatBoy's warning about being careful when pulling the tail light assembly out. In the bulb replacement section in the user manual, it shows a pretty good illustration of how the wiring harness is secured to the back housing (see attached). The harness clip is secured in place which, based on the part that broke off for me, looks like it's supposed to slide and lock into place to secure it. So when you pull the tail light out, do it real slow and feel for any resistance.

asdf.jpg

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
To add to @iflyimpilot's great explanation, others of use have also had the cable screw not be attached to the back of the taillight, which is why this bracket breaks (otherwise the screw would take the force of the cables). Attach this and have a little more peace of mind if you ever have to pull out the tails in the future.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My issues:

It would have been nice for this to be standard. Most vehicles these days have gas cap doors---sure, the design goes into the rugged styling--but the pragmatic implication of such ruggedness also translates into the need to keep dirt away from the gas cap vis a vis a cover. True, a quick once over of the service station's windshield cleaner wand on same prior to opening should more than do the trick.

(See my frustration about this not happening if Wrangler had more competition.)

Next, it wouldn't have killed FCA to finally make that cover only openable from the inside of the vehicle (off topic tangent--and hood too.) Despite the anti syphoning devices that sit further down the fuel pipe, it's not so much my concern with what people take out of my tank, as what they might put in.

It's not like I think anyone's out to get me individually--or that I live/park in a bad area--just that people do all sorts of dumb and sick things in this world, and often target the easiest vehicle to do it with--whether that's steal stuff under the hood, or pour something into the Wrangler's gas tank that shouldn't be there. There will be "JL jealousy" (trademark ha ha ).

Ironically, the locking gas cap I ordered (which BTW Mopar claims that the JKs fits the JL) may very well serve dual function in not only protecting what goes in the tank, but making removal of such a gas cap cover--should I get one--that much more difficult: a cover that I may very well want to get to keep ice out of the gas cap lock. It's ironic: the gas cap lock protects the gas cap lock cover: and vice versa.

Fellow Wrangler owners, some of which--shall I say--that "don't wave"--privy to the ease with which this cover can be removed, may help themselves to it baring the difficulty of sliding it over a locking gas cap.

:crying:

I cannot begin to tell you how many hitch covers of mine--even plain ones--have been boosted until I looped a small section of a wire hanger on the portion that sits inside the female receptor, and put a hitch pin lock on through the looping of said metal wire.

People move on to the next hitch cover when they can't boost mine in 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I got the eBay one in two days. Packed in original mopar box. Really good service. I will be installing it later today or tomorrow. I asked the dealership how much the piece was and how much they charge for installation just for shits and giggles and they said for the part and installation, it would be $270. I guess I saved myself $170.

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
I am going to guess the JK fuel doors will not fit the JL. On extremeterrain.com they do not have any fuel door listed for the JL. They do have a bunch for the JK. If they worked they would also have them listed for the JL. I have amazon prime so i guess I could be the ginny pig and order one, but I am thinking I would be wasting my time.

iFwzyIV.png
Rf42sKv.png

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
:rock:

8A95E805-161D-4903-89B5-FF5ED0148F05.jpeg

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I am going to guess the JK fuel doors will not fit the JL. On extremeterrain.com they do not have any fuel door listed for the JL. They do have a bunch for the JK. If they worked they would also have them listed for the JL. I have amazon prime so i guess I could be the ginny pig and order one, but I am thinking I would be wasting my time.

iFwzyIV.png
Rf42sKv.png
It's up in the air. I have heard guys say it will work, but as you say no vendor is saying anything. Were I in need of a fuel door, an had Amazon Prime, I'd be trying the JK door on the JL. If it works great, you can spill the beans here. If no worky you send it back. Reality is it only trakes 5 min to try the JK door on the JL.

If it works you save a hundred and have an aftermarket door.

Keep us posted!

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
It's up in the air. I have heard guys say it will work, but as you say no vendor is saying anything. Were I in need of a fuel door, an had Amazon Prime, I'd be trying the JK door on the JL. If it works great, you can spill the beans here. If no worky you send it back. Reality is it only trakes 5 min to try the JK door on the JL.

If it works you save a hundred and have an aftermarket door.

Keep us posted!
JK fuel door is smaller than JL's. I was at an autoshow where JK and JL were side by side. I put my phone against the door and they are different in size. The difference is very oblivious that you can not interchange them.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My issues:

It would have been nice for this to be standard. Most vehicles these days have gas cap doors---sure, the design goes into the rugged styling--but the pragmatic implication of such ruggedness also translates into the need to keep dirt away from the gas cap vis a vis a cover. True, a quick once over of the service station's windshield cleaner wand on same prior to opening should more than do the trick.

(See my frustration about this not happening if Wrangler had more competition.)

Next, it wouldn't have killed FCA to finally make that cover only openable from the inside of the vehicle (off topic tangent--and hood too.) Despite the anti syphoning devices that sit further down the fuel pipe, it's not so much my concern with what people take out of my tank, as what they might put in.

It's not like I think anyone's out to get me individually--or that I live/park in a bad area--just that people do all sorts of dumb and sick things in this world, and often target the easiest vehicle to do it with--whether that's steal stuff under the hood, or pour something into the Wrangler's gas tank that shouldn't be there. There will be "JL jealousy" (trademark ha ha ).

Ironically, the locking gas cap I ordered (which BTW Mopar claims that the JKs fits the JL) may very well serve dual function in not only protecting what goes in the tank, but making removal of such a gas cap cover--should I get one--that much more difficult: a cover that I may very well want to get to keep ice out of the gas cap lock. It's ironic: the gas cap lock protects the gas cap lock cover: and vice versa.

Fellow Wrangler owners, some of which--shall I say--that "don't wave"--privy to the ease with which this cover can be removed, may help themselves to it baring the difficulty of sliding it over a locking gas cap.

:crying:

I cannot begin to tell you how many hitch covers of mine--even plain ones--have been boosted until I looped a small section of a wire hanger on the portion that sits inside the female receptor, and put a hitch pin lock on through the looping of said metal wire.

People move on to the next hitch cover when they can't boost mine in 15 seconds.
I get where you're coming from wanting the fuel door and hood to be openable from inside the vehicle, but when the wrangler is known for having no doors and roof so simply reaching inside the vehicle to pull a lever would render that useless.

Nothing against you, but I like to think Jeep obviously thought of all these things in their decades of designing. Most people seem to forget they bought a Jeep, not a luxury sedan.

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
If anyone was still wondering, I ordered a JK door hoping it may work because they were so much cheaper than the JL, but the JL uses a larger cutout so the JK is about 1/2" too small in diameter and will not work on a JL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If anyone was still wondering, I ordered a JK door hoping it may work because they were so much cheaper than the JL, but the JL uses a larger cutout so the JK is about 1/2" too small in diameter and will not work on a JL.
@424hamst

The JK fuel door not working on a JL has been posted here repeatedly for months now. Do yourself a favor / save $ and come here and research add on's before you buy them. That's one thing about this forum, there is usually someone that knows if an add on will work, if it will, but needs alterations, etc., ... oh, they also can give you install hints..

Speaking of install.. before you install a JL fuel door read here about the locking tab some guys are breaking when they are doing the install:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-fuel-door-install-video.4861/#post-111864

Sponsored