Sponsored

Installed the Mopar fuel filler door on my Sport S!

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Installed on mine too! Only annoying thing I did was when pulling the tail light assembly out, I didn't realize the wiring harness was secured onto to the back of the tail light. Felt something snap and it was a small plastic tab that the harness clicks into, so that piece broke leaving the harness "hanging". No big deal I guess but for those who are thinking of adding this fuel door, take care not to pull the tail light straight out like I did!
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Installed on mine too! Only annoying thing I did was when pulling the tail light assembly out, I didn't realize the wiring harness was secured onto to the back of the tail light. Felt something snap and it was a small plastic tab that the harness clicks into, so that piece broke leaving the harness "hanging". No big deal I guess but for those who are thinking of adding this fuel door, take care not to pull the tail light straight out like I did!
Good info to know.. SO, you are saying the wiring harness itself (you did not break the connector tab on the connector harness plug) is somehow tethered to the JLU light fixture cavity with a small plastic clip? Thanks in advance for your reply.

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good info to know.. SO, you are saying the wiring harness itself (you did not break the connector tab on the connector harness plug) is somehow tethered to the JLU light fixture cavity with a small plastic clip? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Exactly. The part that broke was on the black plastic housing behind the tail light assembly. It's a small, fragile little plastic tab that the wiring harness slides into to keep it secured to the housing. I'll try and get a close pic of it when I get home tonight. I WISH I could order this part to replace it, lol. Might have to rig something up, maybe ziptie the harness to the housing somehow.

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Funny, I broke my tab too :facepalm: But I noticed the locking plastic dowel wasn’t ever installed next to that bracket, otherwise that would’ve prevented any tension pulling on the bracket. Someone got lazy on the install line :swear:

OP
OP
Izzy901

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
I heard something break and fall..little and plastic sounding when I did mine. Guess I know what it was now. :giggle:

Sponsored

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny, I broke my tab too :facepalm: But I noticed the locking plastic dowel wasn’t ever installed next to that bracket, otherwise that would’ve prevented any tension pulling on the bracket. Someone got lazy on the install line :swear:
Are you referring to the little black screw that's tied to the wiring harness? I was wondering about that and how it looked like it should belong somewhere.

Last edited:

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
That's the one! Right next to the bracket is a ~1/4" hole that I popped mine into. I had a very small piece of the bracket that I was able to partly attached the harness to, so I'm hoping with the dowel actually secured it may hold it enough.

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the one! Right next to the bracket is a ~1/4" hole that I popped mine into. I had a very small piece of the bracket that I was able to partly attached the harness to, so I'm hoping with the dowel actually secured it may hold it enough.
Good to know! I'll check it out today.. For now I zip tied the harness to the housing, lol.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where has everyone purchased the door from? I stumbled upon this site and looking to see if it's a credible legitimate website. This is the cheapest I've found.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215123.html
Bought mine from Quadratec for $125. Now I'm a bit upset as this is much less than what I paid. Don't have experience shopping from this website though so I can't speak for them. Seems legit down to the Mopar part no.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Bought mine from Quadratec for $125. Now I'm a bit upset as this is much less than what I paid. Don't have experience shopping from this website though so I can't speak for them. Seems legit down to the Mopar part no.
The vendor at that link may be tacking on shipping. I know that OEM, JL fuel door can be had for $100 on eBAY to include free shipping.

Unfortunately, Quadratec prices can be higher then many and you have to meet $ minimum or pay them shipping.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Bought the one from ebay, jesus I can't believe I actually paid $100 for a little fuel door that should come standard in any vehicle. AND IT DOESN"T EVEN LOCK!!!!!!!!!!

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Bought the one from ebay, jesus I can't believe I actually paid $100 for a little fuel door that should come standard in any vehicle. AND IT DOESN"T EVEN LOCK!!!!!!!!!!
Well, it will look real nice. You can always buy a locking gas cap for the fuel neck..

Curious why so many guy/gas want locking? No body is gonna siphon gas out of that tank.

Jury is still out whether JK aftermarket fuel doors will work on a JL. They can be had for $25+- both locking and not. Hopefully, somebody here will try the aftermarket JK offering and report here how it went. My guess is the JK offering will work on a JL. You can always buy on amazon and if no workey, return for full refund.. With the chance of saving $75 and having a custom fuel door it is well worth the energy. When I get my JL Rubi, I will probably pull off the stock fuel door and sell it. I want a unique aftermarket fuel door.

Hey.... The install is easy by the way. With the JL be very very careful when you go to pull away the tail light from where it is secured. Go easy, creep the fixture out slowly and carefully and look for a small black plastic clip that is holding the wire bundle. Un-clip carefully or you will break the black plastic clip according to reports of installers on this forum. Install will take you less then 15 min.. Look in your owner's manual where it describes how to access rear tail light.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it will look real nice. You can always buy a locking gas cap for the fuel neck..

Curious why so many guy/gas want locking? No body is gonna siphon gas out of that tank.

Jury is still out whether JK aftermarket fuel doors will work on a JL. They can be had for $25+- both locking and not. Hopefully, somebody here will try the aftermarket JK offering and report here how it went. My guess is the JK offering will work on a JL. You can always buy on amazon and if no workey, return for full refund.. With the chance of saving $75 and having a custom fuel door it is well worth the energy. When I get my JL Rubi, I will probably pull off the stock fuel door and sell it. I want a unique aftermarket fuel door.

Hey.... The install is easy by the way. With the JL be very very careful when you go to pull away the tail light from where it is secured. Go easy, creep the fixture out slowly and carefully and look for a small black plastic clip that is holding the wire bundle. Un-clip carefully or you will break the black plastic clip according to reports of installers on this forum. Install will take you less then 15 min.. Look in your owner's manual where it describes how to access rear tail light.
Thanks,

I don't fear that but I feel like people will throw other liquids in there just for fun, people are evil

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Thanks,

I don't fear that but I feel like people will throw other liquids in there just for fun, people are evil
Over the years, I have found that even the scumbags, dirtbags, low-lifes, trailer trash, thugs, (friggin millennials :giggle:) , etc., for the most part, truly appreciate a nice ride whether it be a car or truck/Jeep. They won't dis / damage a vehicle usually. Sure, if you really piss them off they will. Whether you are young or old they will pop you up the side of your head.. but rarely mess with your ride.

Now, your raccoon faced X girlfriend may frigg with your ride if they catch you screwing around put they usually resort to "keying" the vehicle.

In closing, I myself see no need for a locked gas door. Years ago when they would siphon gas from your tank but no more can they do that.

Reminds me.. In 2004 I had a brand new Class A Motor Home. My Harley was on the back on a bike lift and I was toading/pulling a 2004 2dr. Jeep TJ. I was in Daytona Florida for Bike week with the rig. Some trailer trash slug got under the RV and poked a hole in the bottom of the gas tank. He drained about $220 worth of gas out of my tank. Fortunately, I made out on the insurance claim..
Sponsored