Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Thanks for the feedback! From what I've read Shrockworks seems like the way to go. The toughest part on this is trying to figure out if the step will be big enough to assist in getting in the JL
yes, but it is only a little bit lower than the opening. So it isn't super smooth using it as a step, but it is helpful. On my JK I didn't have the grate thing on top that they offer now, and my pregnant wife used it frequently to help get in. Otherwise we both just put a foot in the footwell, grabbed a handle and hopped into the seat. My JLU is stock height right now so no need for a step. My JK was 4in lift on 37s. Anything that has a low enough step to be that middle height step to make getting in w/ a step smooth, will not be good for offroading and body protection. The shrock steps are 3-4inches lower height that you have to lift your leg to get into your JL, but they are outward so you aren't having to also stretch your leg into the footwell which helps, but its a big step up with a small shuffle step into the vehicle.
If you get the tread plates on top of the sliders then it is a lot more surface area to step on which is super helpful for roofrack access or folding down/up the softtop if you do that. I use/used my sliders as a step mostly for putting the top down on my JK. I haven't put the top down on my JL yet since I haven't had it in nice weather yet, but expect to be doing the same with the JL.
Sponsored

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
yes, but it is only a little bit lower than the opening. So it isn't super smooth using it as a step, but it is helpful. On my JK I didn't have the grate thing on top that they offer now, and my pregnant wife used it frequently to help get in. Otherwise we both just put a foot in the footwell, grabbed a handle and hopped into the seat. My JLU is stock height right now so no need for a step. My JK was 4in lift on 37s. Anything that has a low enough step to be that middle height step to make getting in w/ a step smooth, will not be good for offroading and body protection. The shrock steps are 3-4inches lower height that you have to lift your leg to get into your JL, but they are outward so you aren't having to also stretch your leg into the footwell which helps, but its a big step up with a small shuffle step into the vehicle.
If you get the tread plates on top of the sliders then it is a lot more surface area to step on which is super helpful for roofrack access or folding down/up the softtop if you do that. I use/used my sliders as a step mostly for putting the top down on my JK. I haven't put the top down on my JL yet since I haven't had it in nice weather yet, but expect to be doing the same with the JL.
The issue that Im having is in a few weeks my JL is going from stock to 37's with a 3.5" lift on top of the minor lift that comes with the Rubicon. We have no issues getting in and out stock but I figured with the additional 7" Im about to add to the height (tires plus lift), it would be nice to have a little something to assist if need be. Plus I figured I can put my daughter on the rail and have her hop in

With not wanting to touch the body bolts or mess too much with the clearance, the choices are on the limited side... I think Im down to these, LOD and White Knuckle. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has any of these local so cant test before purchase. Going off of pictures on the interwebs, they all have pluses and minuses. On the install side, these seem to be the simplest and from what I've read and you've confirmed, they can take one hell of a beating.

Im really leaning towards these. I really appreciate you taking the time to go over them with me!

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for the feedback! From what I've read Shrockworks seems like the way to go. The toughest part on this is trying to figure out if the step will be big enough to assist in getting in the JL
Yes. I use them as a step all the time.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The issue that Im having is in a few weeks my JL is going from stock to 37's with a 3.5" lift on top of the minor lift that comes with the Rubicon. We have no issues getting in and out stock but I figured with the additional 7" Im about to add to the height (tires plus lift), it would be nice to have a little something to assist if need be. Plus I figured I can put my daughter on the rail and have her hop in

With not wanting to touch the body bolts or mess too much with the clearance, the choices are on the limited side... I think Im down to these, LOD and White Knuckle. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has any of these local so cant test before purchase. Going off of pictures on the interwebs, they all have pluses and minuses. On the install side, these seem to be the simplest and from what I've read and you've confirmed, they can take one hell of a beating.

Im really leaning towards these. I really appreciate you taking the time to go over them with me!
After my wife's surgery I got the steps with the legs that fold up and they tuck away under the passenger seat. https://www.amazon.com/Ollieroo-Portable-Lightweight-Platform-330-Pound/dp/B072KDDS51

Last edited:

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I was just telling my wife that we might need something like this to get the little one in!

This will be my first lifted vehicle so I am probably overthinking the crap out of this
Yes you’re overthinking it. I have 3 young kids and been camping with them since they were infants (5mo for my 1st and 2mo for my 2nd/3rd). With 3 it is harder to get kids in because of reaching over a seat to get to the middle one. With 1 or 2 it is fine because they’re on the side and there isn’t any reaching over. I put them in no problem w/o using the rock sliders as a step (even the middle kid) when I was using infant seats. When I went to convertible I have to use the slider as a step to get the belts tightened and buckled, but not to put the kid into the seat. This was the case on my JK with 4in lift and 37s. I’m only 5’10”, my wife who is 5’6”-5’7” can get the outer infant seat in no problem but couldn’t do the middle without using the sliders as a step. But this she could do no problem. I often did it because I didn’t need the step to get them in so it was easier. My 4yo (current age) was able to climb into my JK using the sliders and get himself into his car seat. This is a picture of when he was 2ish wanting to go on our trip.
With kids new parents often get wrapped up in the mentality of needing this and that, when in reality you don’t need nearly as much as the consumer market will make you think. For camping I highly recommend getting kids toys that are for camping and that they can play with in dirt. Also a small shovel and they’ll be happy for longer than you will be.
Another couple pieces of advice for camping with kids: when traveling long distances to get to an overland location make your lunch stops at playgrounds. It makes it fun for them and you’ll see some really cool playgrounds throughout the nation. Morrison Outdoors makes an excellent infant and toddler sleeping bag. I highly recommend them. We use them backpacking too. And remember you’re the one who doesn’t want to your kids to get dirty, they don’t care. If you get over that and let them have fun you’ll find it’s quite relaxing going camping with them; it’s the packing up and trying to keep them clean that gets challenging.

for infant seat I’d recommend the Chicco KeyFit 30

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD 61EAB489-5E25-4D4A-AE69-2E2DACCCF7FE

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD AD3BDDB6-4AD7-4AFA-A3A4-75093001EE90

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD 9D1C8DB6-6068-48C7-97F3-64C92750015B

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD 68043C57-555B-436A-AF3F-D0C6C6362CCD

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD C6180F93-DAE2-417A-B7EA-C9BCB112EE4B

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes you’re overthinking it. I have 3 young kids and been camping with them since they were infants (5mo for my 1st and 2mo for my 2nd/3rd). With 3 it is harder to get kids in because of reaching over a seat to get to the middle one. With 1 or 2 it is fine because they’re on the side and there isn’t any reaching over. I put them in no problem w/o using the rock sliders as a step (even the middle kid) when I was using infant seats. When I went to convertible I have to use the slider as a step to get the belts tightened and buckled, but not to put the kid into the seat. This was the case on my JK with 4in lift and 37s. I’m only 5’10”, my wife who is 5’6”-5’7” can get the outer infant seat in no problem but couldn’t do the middle without using the sliders as a step. But this she could do no problem. I often did it because I didn’t need the step to get them in so it was easier. My 4yo (current age) was able to climb into my JK using the sliders and get himself into his car seat. This is a picture of when he was 2ish wanting to go on our trip.
With kids new parents often get wrapped up in the mentality of needing this and that, when in reality you don’t need nearly as much as the consumer market will make you think. For camping I highly recommend getting kids toys that are for camping and that they can play with in dirt. Also a small shovel and they’ll be happy for longer than you will be.
Another couple pieces of advice for camping with kids: when traveling long distances to get to an overland location make your lunch stops at playgrounds. It makes it fun for them and you’ll see some really cool playgrounds throughout the nation. Morrison Outdoors makes an excellent infant and toddler sleeping bag. I highly recommend them. We use them backpacking too. And remember you’re the one who doesn’t want to your kids to get dirty, they don’t care. If you get over that and let them have fun you’ll find it’s quite relaxing going camping with them; it’s the packing up and trying to keep them clean that gets challenging.

for infant seat I’d recommend the Chicco KeyFit 30
It looks like you guys have some real fun!!! The picture of your son trying to climb in, made me lol. I think you convinced me to pull the trigger on the Shrockworks. Do they have a refer a friend like car dealers or home services? You definitely need to be a brand ambassador or something for them

I was definitely overthinking the crap out of this one! Thank you for talking sense into a complete stranger! I really do appreciate all the time today!!

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
It looks like you guys have some real fun!!! The picture of your son trying to climb in, made me lol. I think you convinced me to pull the trigger on the Shrockworks. Do they have a refer a friend like car dealers or home services? You definitely need to be a brand ambassador or something for them

I was definitely overthinking the crap out of this one! Thank you for talking sense into a complete stranger! I really do appreciate all the time today!!
I don't think they have any referral or anything. I'm someone who likes quality products and I see a lot of flaws in some of the options out there. Some people care about that and some don't. I have no skin in the game if people get shrockworks or not, but over the 15y of being a customer of theirs I have seen many people swear by them once they use their products.

As far as stranger helping a stranger. I'm all about people getting out there with their kids and enjoying life. I really try to help motivate people and make them realize they are creating hurdles that aren't there. Camping with kids is a lot of extra little things you need to do, but it is also easier in some aspects. I often see all these people say they have to get rid of their jeep because they're having kids, etc and I try to help them see it from my prospective. My first my wife and I were worried about taking him camping too soon and the cold, etc. He was a September baby and the cold made us not camp with him until he was 5months old. And we were so overly worried about him staying warm, etc. By his first birthday he had spent 4week of his life in a tent and been to most of the states Colorado and west, BC Canada and backpacking. Our 2nd liter was twins which is quite a lot of extra... We have not been able to get out as much with them because of the all the extra they take and a lot of trips being canceled due to covid, but since they have been 2m old we have camped with them a few times and gotten them out. Most kids love the outdoors and I hope my kids will grow up loving nature; and I'm going to do what I can to make sure they get that exposure so if they dont like it, its a choice and not a fear of the unknown. If you look at the posts I've made on this forum you will see I've posted similar posts of trying to help motivate parents to get out and camp with their kids. Not sure you know of Mark Doiron or not, but he and I travel together frequently and I found it a real honor when he spoke highly of my wife and I in one of his videos on how we work to get our kids out there with us and not have them be an excuse to not do something.

If you ever need some help or opinions of life with babies and camping/wheeling/carseats, etc PM me and I'm happy to share my views. Take them or leave them, its up to you and won't offend me if you do differently. But hopefully it gives you ideas or confidence in your parenting to share your hobbies with your kid(s).

SoCalDawg

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
More photos:

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my JLURD C6180F93-DAE2-417A-B7EA-C9BCB112EE4B

Looks fantastic. Where did you get the decal under the Jeep lettering? I’m down to these or LOD Armor Lite.......Like these better, just concerned about the step being adequate and rust risk. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks fantastic. Where did you get the decal under the Jeep lettering? I’m down to these or LOD Armor Lite.......Like these better, just concerned about the step being adequate and rust risk. Thanks for the info.
The Willys decals came from doityourselflettering.com. You have to send them the art work which I did in PhotoShop. I do not have any concerns about Rust or corrosion because rock rails use existing holes in the frame and the frame is steel and the rock rails are steel so I think I'm OK . I did not have to drill any holes. Also the rock rails are powder coated.

SoCalDawg

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
The Willys decals came from doityourselflettering.com. You have to send them the art work which I did in PhotoShop. I do not have any concerns about Rust or corrosion because rock rails use existing holes in the frame and the frame is steel and the rock rails are steel so I think I'm OK . I did not have to drill any holes. Also the rock rails are powder coated.
Thanks for the info! Shrockworks it is!

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just finished my install. Outstanding product and looks fantastic, imho
C9C6A001-7120-4BCC-AB79-0940AEDF56E1.jpeg
646AC977-BF89-46E1-823B-D8831008DAD0.jpeg
D4956977-BA49-45ED-90C4-C176B690ECB2.jpeg
C8F82F11-76C2-4660-BFEF-F2500D197FFA.jpeg
5517B3A1-25C2-4415-A15B-2B36BE483931.jpeg
D40CFB16-5210-4325-8A9A-99D0FDBCCC40.jpeg
Very nice. My Shrockworks rock rails got a little use when we were out in Sedona with 4 adults in the Jeep.

Last edited: