Sponsored

Installed Mopar Rubicon Steel Bumper on a Sahara. Here's what we learned

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I was hoping you could confirm this too? I read that there is a bracket that needs to be added to move the Sahara JL led fog lights to the steel rubi bumper?
So I bought the brackets, but ended up not needing them. I think (not sure) that they’re needed for Saharas to use steel bumpers, but maybe not Rubicon’s (and I have a Rubicon).

Long story short, if you want a set of the brackets, let me know. I’ll let them go for less than I paid, let’s say 10% discount if your interested. I’ll take a bit of a loss but I’d rather recoup a bit and help a fellow forum member out if possible.
Sponsored

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
So I bought the brackets, but ended up not needing them. I think (not sure) that they’re needed for Saharas to use steel bumpers, but maybe not Rubicon’s (and I have a Rubicon).

Long story short, if you want a set of the brackets, let me know. I’ll let them go for less than I paid, let’s say 10% discount if your interested. I’ll take a bit of a loss but I’d rather recoup a bit and help a fellow forum member out if possible.
That’s the weird thing- this original post says they didnt need anything to add that steel bumper with the stock led fog lights. ‍♀ I guess I’ll find out when I go to install it for sure. Another thread said the Sahara does need the brackets. Which brackets did you buy?

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
That’s the weird thing- this original post says they didnt need anything to add that steel bumper with the stock led fog lights. ‍♀ I guess I’ll find out when I go to install it for sure. Another thread said the Sahara does need the brackets. Which brackets did you buy?
Yep, you’ll need brackets if going from a Sahara plastic bumper. I know, I did this. There’s nothing to say that FCA didn’t change something along the way, though. My SAhara was a 4/18 build. The Maximus-3 brackets will work.

My replacement steel bumper came with LEDs, so I ended up not needing the brackets, but I would have needed them for a swap. I sold the brackets but confirmed they would have done the trick. You mount the fog light to the bracket using the mounting holes on the light that originally mounted the light to the plastic bumper. You the mount the assembly to the inner bumper bracket using two M6 hex bolts and u-nuts

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Here are the brackets I bought, they are the Maximus-3 as noted above.

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-acc...pter-bracket?search_query=Fog+light&results=6

I didn’t even unwrap them from the bubble wrap. If you want them for less than what you can get them for on the site after tax and shipping, let me know. I’ll make sure the price from me is cheaper. It’s just easier to sell them here than filling out an RMA form for return authorization. Plus, maybe it’s good karma to pass along a good deal to someone else to save a few bucks off my mistake.

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are the brackets I bought, they are the Maximus-3 as noted above.

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-acc...pter-bracket?search_query=Fog+light&results=6

I didn’t even unwrap them from the bubble wrap. If you want them for less than what you can get them for on the site after tax and shipping, let me know. I’ll make sure the price from me is cheaper. It’s just easier to sell them here than filling out an RMA form for return authorization. Plus, maybe it’s good karma to pass along a good deal to someone else to save a few bucks off my mistake.
Yep, you’ll need brackets if going from a Sahara plastic bumper. I know, I did this. There’s nothing to say that FCA didn’t change something along the way, though. My SAhara was a 4/18 build. The Maximus-3 brackets will work.

My replacement steel bumper came with LEDs, so I ended up not needing the brackets, but I would have needed them for a swap. I sold the brackets but confirmed they would have done the trick. You mount the fog light to the bracket using the mounting holes on the light that originally mounted the light to the plastic bumper. You the mount the assembly to the inner bumper bracket using two M6 hex bolts and u-nuts
Awesome thank you RocketScientist for the insight!!
aug0211 I will let you know about the brackets!! Thank you for the offer!
I’m hoping my local 4x4 shop them So I can do it this week!

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Awesome thank you RocketScientist for the insight!!
aug0211 I will let you know about the brackets!! Thank you for the offer!
I’m hoping my local 4x4 shop them So I can do it this week!
Sounds good! Good luck!

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Oh do you happen to know if I install the bumper with out the fog lights will it be a pain to add them after I get those brackets?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Oh do you happen to know if I install the bumper with out the fog lights will it be a pain to add them after I get those brackets?
My guess is that it would be painful if not impossible, though that’s just a guess.

Actually, let me go look at mine really fast in the garage and see if it seems like it’d be doable. Be right back.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
My guess is that it would be painful if not impossible, though that’s just a guess.

Actually, let me go look at mine really fast in the garage and see if it seems like it’d be doable. Be right back.
Ok, I think you might be able to do it.

It’d probably be a tad tight to get into with tools, and I’m not 100% sure since I honestly haven’t even unwrapped my brackets to really understand where all they need to be screwed in - but looking at my bumper, I would wager a beer that it’d be possible to install the brackets without removing the bumper.

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I think you might be able to do it.

It’d probably be a tad tight to get into with tools, and I’m not 100% sure since I honestly haven’t even unwrapped my brackets to really understand where all they need to be screwed in - but looking at my bumper, I would wager a beer that it’d be possible to install the brackets without removing the bumper.
Okay, thank you for looking! I am just too excited and don’t want to wait haha but I probably should until I get the brackets :(

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Okay, thank you for looking! I am just too excited and don’t want to wait haha but I probably should until I get the brackets :(
One idea - perhaps not the wisest, but it would probably work.... you could put the bumper on and only thread the outer most 4 bolts (2 on each side of the bumper). Those are really easy to get to, and that way, if you need to take it back off, it’s not a huge deal. And if you end up not needing to take it off, then put on the remaining inner four bolts.

I’d just be sure not to go crazy off-road with my bumper, wouldn’t winch, and would be sure you have the outer 4 nuts on tight.

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One idea - perhaps not the wisest, but it would probably work.... you could put the bumper on and only thread the outer most 4 bolts (2 on each side of the bumper). Those are really easy to get to, and that way, if you need to take it back off, it’s not a huge deal. And if you end up not needing to take it off, then put on the remaining inner four bolts.

I’d just be sure not to go crazy off-road with my bumper, wouldn’t winch, and would be sure you have the outer 4 nuts on tight.
Thinking outside the box! Love this!

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
One thought for anyone that is looking for new JLU Sahara with Steel Bumper and Rubicon Hood, the Moab Edition is essentially a loaded Sahara with Rubicon Equipment including Steel Front Bumper and Rubicon Hood. Just sharing that if anyone interested.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I've cruised through the thread and don't quiet understand the need for extra brackets and all the fuss. We have a Sahara with LED fog lights. I took that bumper off (very easy) and put on a Barricade aluminum bumper (even easier). Though it was tedious the factory fog lights came right out of the factory bumper with no special tools and went very easily into the Barricade bumper. That being said the same would be true for a Rubi so mixing and matching seems to be fine. I'd recommend putting the fogs in with the bumper off.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I've cruised through the thread and don't quiet understand the need for extra brackets and all the fuss. We have a Sahara with LED fog lights. I took that bumper off (very easy) and put on a Barricade aluminum bumper (even easier). Though it was tedious the factory fog lights came right out of the factory bumper with no special tools and went very easily into the Barricade bumper. That being said the same would be true for a Rubi so mixing and matching seems to be fine. I'd recommend putting the fogs in with the bumper off.
My understanding is that there are different fogs by trim/bumper style. I believe it’s expected that your fogs work in a 3rd party bumper without issues, though I believe the Mopar steel bumper would have been a different story for you.
Sponsored