Sponsored

Installed Mopar Rubicon Steel Bumper on a Sahara. Here's what we learned

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Just a heads-up!! I ordered a Rubicon steel bumper for our Sahara. I was "supposed" to bolt right up with no other parts needed. Because it was a new JL aftermarket production part from MoPar, it took forever to get it and I'd kind of lost interest as the original bumper worked fine with my fire department lights......but I gave my word and I honored it with the dealer. The bumper finally came in and the dealer mounted it this morning.

Here's what we learned;
  • a) the bumper bolts right up - no problem at all
  • b) the original Sahara LED fog lights work perfectly in the Rubicon steel bumper (moderator edit: although there are others that say an adapter bracket is needed - see post #33)
  • c) the skid plate and air dam between the bumper and grill (from the Sahara with a plastic bumper) will NOT work, you have to order a new, steel skid plate and air dam for a Rubicon
  • d) The changeover took twice as long as the dealer work sheet said......though it was their first such effort so I assume there will be an improved learning curve.
Benson Jeep (Greenville SC) took very good care of me and we worked out a mutually agreeable deal to get the rest of the parts and finish the job. It's GOOD to do business with a good dealer!

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Thanks for the feedback. It looks really good and tough!

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
Great info for prospective buyers. I bought one on the second hand market and it came with the lower skid plate but not the piece between the grill and bumper. I have a friend at an offroad center keeping an eye out for the gap piece. I too had a learning curve on the install and could do it in half the time, next time. Hope I never need to again.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Great info for prospective buyers. I bought one on the second hand market and it came with the lower skid plate but not the piece between the grill and bumper. I have a friend at an offroad center keeping an eye out for the gap piece. I too had a learning curve on the install and could do it in half the time, next time. Hope I never need to again.
Any Rubi owner that installed a winch should have a filler piece. I'd give you mine but I already trashed it, assuming no one would want it.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Just a heads-up!! I ordered a Rubicon steel bumper for our Sahara. I was "supposed" to bolt right up with no other parts needed. Because it was a new JL aftermarket production part from MoPar, it took forever to get it and I'd kind of lost interest as the original bumper worked fine with my fire department lights......but I gave my word and I honored it with the dealer. The bumper finally came in and the dealer mounted it this morning. Here's what we learned; a) the bumper bolts right up - no problem at all, b) the original Sahara LED fog lights work perfectly in the Rubicon steel bumper, c) the skid plate and air dam between the bumper and grill (from the Sahara with a plastic bumper) will NOT work, you have to order a new, steel skid plate and air dam for a Rubicon, d) The changeover took twice as long as the dealer work sheet said......though it was their first such effort so I assume there will be an improved learning curve. Benson Jeep (Greenville SC) took very good care of me and we worked out a mutually agreeable deal to get the rest of the parts and finish the job. It's GOOD to do business with a good dealer!

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG
I have to come up with a way to mount my strobes....I picked my Rubicon from Big O this weekend..

Strobes.jpg

Sponsored

David K

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl (Mojito)
Just a heads-up!! I ordered a Rubicon steel bumper for our Sahara. I was "supposed" to bolt right up with no other parts needed. Because it was a new JL aftermarket production part from MoPar, it took forever to get it and I'd kind of lost interest as the original bumper worked fine with my fire department lights......but I gave my word and I honored it with the dealer. The bumper finally came in and the dealer mounted it this morning. Here's what we learned; a) the bumper bolts right up - no problem at all, b) the original Sahara LED fog lights work perfectly in the Rubicon steel bumper, c) the skid plate and air dam between the bumper and grill (from the Sahara with a plastic bumper) will NOT work, you have to order a new, steel skid plate and air dam for a Rubicon, d) The changeover took twice as long as the dealer work sheet said......though it was their first such effort so I assume there will be an improved learning curve. Benson Jeep (Greenville SC) took very good care of me and we worked out a mutually agreeable deal to get the rest of the parts and finish the job. It's GOOD to do business with a good dealer!

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG
Looks great , looks like you added a Rubicon Hood , where you able order it from the dealer

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Looks great , looks like you added a Rubicon Hood , where you able order it from the dealer
Seconded...
Curious how much you had to pay for the hood, painted...

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I also like the euro Sahara hood that was in some posts not long ago. I think it may be the euro turbo hood? Looks tough!

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
I have a Rubicon too, but mine has the plastic bumper so yesterday I called a few Morpar sellers online and none of them could tell me if the bumper comes with the skid plate... So in a round about way you answered my question... Thanks for that and it looks real good on yours

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
My dealer told me the steel bumper group did not come with a steel skid plate which is why I did not order it....I still have time to add it on I think...

Does the steel skid plate come stock on the rubicon with the non-steel bumper package?

Sponsored

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
My dealer told me the steel bumper group did not come with a steel skid plate which is why I did not order it....I still have time to add it on I think...

Does the steel skid plate come stock on the rubicon with the non-steel bumper package?
You're correct that you have to order the steel skid plate and spacer if you change to the Rubi steel bumper. Additionally, there is a bracket you need to mount the skid plate.

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
I have a Rubicon too, but mine has the plastic bumper so yesterday I called a few Morpar sellers online and none of them could tell me if the bumper comes with the skid plate... So in a round about way you answered my question... Thanks for that and it looks real good on yours
Many thanks! I went back to the dealers today to get the skid plate installed.........there's a bracket to mount the skid plate and MoPar shipped the wrong part. I'll have to go back again.