Installed Insane Audio JL3001 Head Unit today

Fellows941

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL sport
Question for ya’ll who have the IA head unit. I currently have the stock 5 inch touch screen and want to upgrade. But if I upgrade to the IA unit I’ll lose the volume knob. Is there a volume control in the IA head unit? Or do you have to rely on the steering wheel controls to change the volume?
Sponsored

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Question for ya’ll who have the IA head unit. I currently have the stock 5 inch touch screen and want to upgrade. But if I upgrade to the IA unit I’ll lose the volume knob. Is there a volume control in the IA head unit? Or do you have to rely on the steering wheel controls to change the volume?
The IA JL3001 unit does not have volume control knobs.

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
i don't own it, but have watched a bunch of the install videos and could have sworn i've seen a volume button on the face of the IA head unit. The head unit does fit in the place where the stock volume control knob should be.

might have been a swipe up or down on the screen that pulls up the volume control. been a while since i watched those install videos

Last edited:

Fellows941

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL sport
I get that it doesn’t have volume control knobs. I was more so asking if it had a button on the touchscreen or built in the interface. Sorry if I wasn’t more clear

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
I get that it doesn’t have volume control knobs. I was more so asking if it had a button on the touchscreen or built in the interface. Sorry if I wasn’t more clear
algoo31 said:
How do the volume controls work? Can you only operate it from the steering controls?
Steering wheel controls, or swiping down on the screen brings up an option for a volume slide.

This is from the thread that is titled : "What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?".

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I have it and thats the one downfall. In order to get volume knobs your stack would need to be replaced, then you would need to reflash the hvac system to register the new stack. I. Total your looking at about 400 depending on the stack purchase and tuner you choose. Its only steering wheel and on the touch screen otherwise but its a great radio. Alot of features. And extremely great customer service which makes up for it. They really stand behind there stuff.

12hefft

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle JL 2020
All,

I am having a few issues with my unit and am hoping yall might be able to help.

• Bluetooth / Premium Audio
    • When I play music via the bluetooth music app the radio works fine. However, when I receive a phone call, the units phone app pops up but there is no sound. I asked IA about this and they think that I installed the unit incorrectly for the premium sound package on the jeep
      • " More specifically, if you have the factory premium sound system (with subwoofer), you will need to make one additional change on your main wiring harness. There are quick connects on the speaker wires labeled F1/F2 and R1/R2. Connect F1 to R2 and F2 to R1. If you do not have the factory premium sound system with subwoofer, just leve F1 to F2 and R1 to R2. "
    • My issue is I do not see a F1,2 and R1,2 on the cord I have, I have AUX L IN, AUX R IN, Subwoofer, AUX V In, Rear Out L, Rear Out R, Front Out L, Front Out R, etc. These are all female cord supplied by insane audio. The only male cords I have from the jeep are CD Audio R and CD Audio L and AUX R and AUX L. So I am not sure what is meant by the R2-F1 and R1-F2.
  • GPS Nav.
    • The GPS app will not pick up the satellite signals. I installed the antenna as shown in the install video at the back of the head unit housing and in the right direction.
    • I am wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so where you moved the antenna to acquire signal (I am thinking maybe on the windshield but am curios best way to run the wire and want to make sure there is not something I am over-looking before moving)
I am wondering if anyone else has run into these issues. If so I would love some advice.

Even with the above problems, overall the unit is outstanding.

20201106_121323.jpg

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
All,

• When I play music via the bluetooth music app the radio works fine. However, when I receive a phone call, the units phone app pops up but there is no sound. I asked IA about this and they think that I installed the unit incorrectly for the premium sound package on the jeep
      • " More specifically, if you have the factory premium sound system (with subwoofer), you will need to make one additional change on your main wiring harness. There are quick connects on the speaker wires labeled F1/F2 and R1/R2. Connect F1 to R2 and F2 to R1. If you do not have the factory premium sound system with subwoofer, just leve F1 to F2 and R1 to R2. "
    • My issue is I do not see a F1,2 and R1,2 on the cord I have, I have AUX L IN, AUX R IN, Subwoofer, AUX V In, Rear Out L, Rear Out R, Front Out L, Front Out R, etc. These are all female cord supplied by insane audio. The only male cords I have from the jeep are CD Audio R and CD Audio L and AUX R and AUX L. So I am not sure what is meant by the R2-F1 and R1-F2.
  • GPS Nav.
    • The GPS app will not pick up the satellite signals. I installed the antenna as shown in the install video at the back of the head unit housing and in the right direction.
    • I am wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so where you moved the antenna to acquire signal (I am thinking maybe on the windshield but am curios best way to run the wire and want to make sure there is not something I am over-looking before moving)
I am wondering if anyone else has run into these issues. If so I would love some advice.

20201106_121323.jpg
I did not have any issues with installs. I do not have premium sound. I would say run the wire under the dash piece that has one bolt holding it once you have the radio out it just pulls out. Then run it across the dash and up the a pillar and thats where i mounted mine. Also the wires your speaking about i do not believe are the main harness wires at all. I just remived my radio and those are aux wires for pre amp outputs. Not main harness with the bug plug for the radio. They have a forum where you could possibly find installs of this switch over.

Gunsmith

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR Recon, 2000 BMW R1000RT
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
All,

• GPS Nav.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Insane Audio JL3001 Head Unit today 20201106_121323
I installed the GPS antenna where they suggested and it wouldn't work either. I then put it on top of the dash by the left speaker and now it works great and picks up the satellites in a minute or so. Also very pleased with IA customer service!

12hefft

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle JL 2020
I installed the GPS antenna where they suggested and it wouldn't work either. I then put it on top of the dash by the left speaker and now it works great and picks up the satellites in a minute or so. Also very pleased with IA customer service!
I ended up running mine through behind the glove box, up the passenger side (between door and dash) and mounted on bottom right windshield. Works great now and is out of sight.

Sponsored

12hefft

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle JL 2020
All,

• GPS Nav.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Insane Audio JL3001 Head Unit today 20201106_121323
Ended up figuring this out with the premium audio, I was looking in the wrong spot in the above picture. If you look at the actual connection port (Not sure on technical name) there are labels on wires there, that is where you make the switch for the premium audio. Let me add that it is worth it! You are not getting any of the sub / bass where you are supposed to without making the switch.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
If yourmounting your GPS antenna you could run it up the a pillar, across the dash, and down to the radio with the removal of 3-4 screws. The topdash panel just pulls out and is easy to maneuver after

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-door willys
Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted the gps in an external location? Going to try that soon to see if it fixes my problem.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted the gps in an external location? Going to try that soon to see if it fixes my problem.
I tried changing my location. And i ended up with no signal. The recommended location by insane doesnt work. It never stops searching. Ill reroute mine and post pictures later today or tommorow.

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-door willys
I tried changing my location. And i ended up with no signal. The recommended location by insane doesnt work. It never stops searching. Ill reroute mine and post pictures later today or tommorow.
I didn’t know how to do it where it looked pretty but I put it on my dash and at first it didn’t work but the second day after driving on the highway it finally picked up and now it’s working.

C77C5724-AC36-4C5F-83BB-0150AE6DBF7F.jpeg
Sponsored