Sponsored

Installed Insane Audio JL3001 Head Unit today

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you're willing to prepay and Sprint works in your area, you can get an unlimited data mobile hotspot for $500/year. Steep for some, but as someone who has lived in hotels and worked in coffee shops for months on end, it can be a lifesaver.

The Calyx Institute is a non-profit that uses an old contract that Mobile Citizen has with Sprint allowing educational and non-profit unlimited hotspots. You donate money, and for your donation, you get unlimited data through MC's contract.
An unlimited hotspot on your mobile plan is about half that. I am just curious if the OEM Mopar hotspot works with third party head units like insane audio.
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
An unlimited hotspot on your mobile plan is about half that. I am just curious if the OEM Mopar hotspot works with third party head units like insane audio.
By unlimited, this is actually unlimited without speed capping or throttling. It's 4G speeds for however much data you can throw at it. Plus, for me it gives two completely different network options incase one has signal and the other doesn't.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
By unlimited, this is actually unlimited without speed capping or throttling. It's 4G speeds for however much data you can throw at it. Plus, for me it gives two completely different network options incase one has signal and the other doesn't.
Again, thanks but that isn’t what I am looking for. I just want to know if the OEM Mopar hotspot works with third party head units.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Again, thanks but that isn’t what I am looking for. I just want to know if the OEM Mopar hotspot works with third party head units.
Yep. Loud and clear :like:. Just sharing an on-topic alternative to their phone for other interested parties.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Anyway buddy, my understanding is that the 8.4 has an LTE _antenna_ that is on the soundbar next to the GPS antenna. Any _hotspot_ functionality is built in to the 8.4 radio itself. I could be completely wrong about this, but it normally takes a little more hardware than what's on the soundbar to work as a hotspot.

I don't know where the SIM is located -- at the antenna or an eSim built into the 8.4. If it's in the antenna, the IA headunit would have to accept this connection, which as far as I know it doesn't. So to answer your question, to the best of my knowledge the IA headunit will not work with any OEM hotspot or LTE antenna.

Sponsored

MC3311

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
anyone know of any sales going on? Also I heard that most vendors dont have them in stock or lead time is very long. any info appreciated

hildji01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Has anyone installed this with the factory premium sound system? amp and sub?
The alpine unit doesn't work with it and want to make sure this unit does.

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
What is the speaker for that connects to the JL3001, is it needed?
I wouldn't call it a hiss, but I had an initial crackling coming through the speakers when I first installed the unit.

I removed the speaker for parking radar (didn't have that option and should have never installed it) and then tapped every connector. The crackling went away after the 2nd install.
Found this on the other insane audio feed on this forum. looks like it has to do with one of the safety groups or parking radar?

MC3311

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this on the other insane audio feed on this forum. looks like it has to do with one of the safety groups or parking radar?
Thanks, I just found it also. I think I wont bother connecting it, the radio already has plenty of wires to figure out where to hide

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2012 JKU previously
Has anyone installed this with the factory premium sound system? amp and sub?
The alpine unit doesn't work with it and want to make sure this unit does.
I would like to know this too.

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Anyone know if the Insane Audio's backup camera guidelines are active?(guidelines move with the steering wheel like they do from the factory)
Sorry if it’s been answered but there are multiple guideline settings. I beleive 3-4 of them in your settings menu that 3 I beleive shows 2 measurements and one of which a blue styled ruler will move when wheel is turnt. I have that one currently and can post it tommorow and how to change it if needed.

MC3311

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone figure out how to get text msg on the jl3001? one of few things I'm not happy with

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
anyone figure out how to get text msg on the jl3001? one of few things I'm not happy with
What do you mean by text message? If your an android user there’s an app called shouter that’ll read your messages for you. If your an Apple user zlink works perfectly and will read your messages for you as well

MC3311

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by text message? If your an android user there’s an app called shouter that’ll read your messages for you. If your an Apple user zlink works perfectly and will read your messages for you as well
That app does not seem to work on radio. I want to see text msg when they come on the radio, same as phone calls, phone calls work fine on radio.
almost all radios can display text msg now days, my little 5inch jeep did that. why cant a $1400 radio do it. Maybe I'm missing something?
Sponsored

Last edited: