Installed Insane Audio JL3001 Head Unit today

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Well, I was able to get the JL3001 head unit installed today but had a couple of issues that I hope that IA's tech support can help me figure out. I was never able to get the reverse cam (OEM backup cam) to be recognized by the radio. I connected the wiring as instructed but it is not getting a signal. Previously I had installed the Alpine PSS-23WRA subwoofer/amplifier and used their harness to connect to the radio's harness....there is not another way to connect so that must be correct.

Everything else on the radio works just fine, (i.e. GPS, USB drive with music, Apple Car Play ...even works wirelessly, etc.). I haven't tried out the Jeep diagnostics yet because I haven't figured out how to open that up yet..

The install wasn't incredibly difficult but it wasn't a piece of cake either. I accidentally broke one of the top plastic tabs from the radio housing that holds the radio clip that secures the radio at the top. So the radio is secured with the left tab on the top and the two bottom screws. It doesn't rattle or make any noise that I can tell. I was surprised that the plastic tab snapped so easily while I was pushing it into the hole that holds it. I can't wait to learn more about using the radio...it is definitely cool as shit with lots of functionality. I'm looking forward to getting the reverse cam up and running properly. Great radio!

Update: I just received a reply from the support team at Insane Audio. This is what they told me regarding the reverse cam issue that I encountered:

We're sorry about the issues that you're facing with it. Just so you know, it just came to our notice that our latest software update did introduce a bug that is effecting the OEM backup camera integration. We'd expect to have a fix for this in a few days and we apologize for the inconvenience.

I am relieved to find out that it may be that I had not installed the radio incorrectly. I hope that they come up with a fix very soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have played with the radio more and am impressed with the app download speed off of my phone's hot spot. It is incredibly fast. I was able to pair my OBD2 with the head unit so now the torque check app works and engine diagnostics are in place. I don't know if I can enter/alter my tire size yet...still looking into that. All in all I am very pleased with this head unit upgrade and would recommend the Insane Audio JL3001 to anyone considering an upgrade from their 5" OEM radio.

Last edited:
OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
UPDATE: I received another response from Insane Audio's support team and now my reverse cam works just fine:

We are pleased to report that the solution to this is actually quite simple and you just need to connect one additional wire. On your OEM camera box (XSYBOX), there should be an extra yellow cable. Simply connect that to RockCam + and you are good to go. So the red AND yellow cable from XSYBOX goes to RockCam +. The black cable goes to RockCam -. Please see the attached picture.

JL3001_SWC_Box_Wiring_Instructions.jpg

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
This is a short video of the Insane Audio JL3001 that I installed playing a music stream from the Radio Paradise app that I downloaded onto my head unit from Google Play. I am loving this upgrade!

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
Do you have the AUX switches installed? If so, is the functionality retained?

Sponsored

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
No....I did not have a need (yet) for auxiliary switches so I didn't install. I'm not sure about how well the AUX switch integration performs.

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
No....I did not have a need (yet) for auxiliary switches so I didn't install. I'm not sure about how well the AUX switch integration performs.
Ah, thanks for responding anyway. I ended up with a rental recently and it had Android Auto, and I've been missing it.

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ah, thanks for responding anyway. I ended up with a rental recently and it had Android Auto, and I've been missing it.
The JL3001 works very well with Android phones. I have an iPhone and have had some connectivity issues but I believe that I just have to end up depending on Apple's CarPlay to get the best and most reliant connection. That seems to be the best way to connect for my purposes. The Android platform would be much better at using the apps that are available within the Insane Audio's networking with Google and I would highly recommend it for your needs.

First Name
wesley baughman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sport unlimited
The JL3001 works very well with Android phones. I have an iPhone and have had some connectivity issues but I believe that I just have to end up depending on Apple's CarPlay to get the best and most reliant connection. That seems to be the best way to connect for my purposes. The Android platform would be much better at using the apps that are available within the Insane Audio's networking with Google and I would highly recommend it for your needs.

I have to say, I enjoy the radio, but this thing has an Advanced DSP which should allow you to isolate to each speaker front and rear and isolate certain freqs to the front without the bass and send full range to the rears. Cant seem to do it? Any thoughts

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I don't know about the frequency adjustments per speaker....that would be something you should e-mail Insane Audio about. On the equalizer setting you can click on the left side, bottom icon and you will be able to move the sound around to the various speakers.

Sponsored

First Name
wesley baughman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sport unlimited
I don't know about the frequency adjustments per speaker....that would be something you should e-mail Insane Audio about. On the equalizer setting you can click on the left side, bottom icon and you will be able to move the sound around to the various speakers.

Yes you can move the speakers around with the eq but cant seem to isolate the base freqs out of the front speakers without it affecting the rear speakers

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Yes you can move the speakers around with the eq but cant seem to isolate the base freqs out of the front speakers without it affecting the rear speakers
That's what I understood from your question and doubt that there is a built in way that this head unit would have to make that adjustment. I have a call scheduled with IA in about twenty minutes. I'll ask them if there is a way to do that.

I'm guessing that there is an active crossover component that could be installed and used to perform the tasks that you wish to do. I'm going to research that in the event that I am not able to get rid of my current issue with speaker buzzing at high bass volume. I saw a video on how a guy used weather stripping all around the soundbar (from above with the top down) and it got rid of the buzz sound that he described as a sound that sounded just like a blown speaker. That is exactly my problem. I'm going to try the weather stripping first before moving forward.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I have played with the radio more and am impressed with the app download speed off of my phone's hot spot. It is incredibly fast. I was able to pair my OBD2 with the head unit so now the torque check app works and engine diagnostics are in place. I don't know if I can enter/alter my tire size yet...still looking into that. All in all I am very pleased with this head unit upgrade and would recommend the Insane Audio JL3001 to anyone considering an upgrade from their 5" OEM radio.
Were you able to retain the steering wheel radio functions?

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Were you able to retain the steering wheel radio functions?
Yes, the steering wheel controls all work fine. I am still having issues connecting and holding my iPhone hot spot when not using CaqrPlay. I may have to use CarPlay in order to get the radio to keep and hold the connection to the iPhone but I would prefer to use the built in radio apps so that I can use all of the great things that you can do with the radio. Was on the phone with an engineer from IA today and we were able to get the radio to hold the hot spot connection with the iPhone but when I get away from the Jeep and start over, the connectivity still falls out after about a minute or so. I hope that I can figure this out...the radio is too good to not be able to use it the way that I want because the Apple software refuses to work with the Android platform or vice versa.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yes, the steering wheel controls all work fine. I am still having issues connecting and holding my iPhone hot spot when not using CaqrPlay. I may have to use CarPlay in order to get the radio to keep and hold the connection to the iPhone but I would prefer to use the built in radio apps so that I can use all of the great things that you can do with the radio. Was on the phone with an engineer from IA today and we were able to get the radio to hold the hot spot connection with the iPhone but when I get away from the Jeep and start over, the connectivity still falls out after about a minute or so. I hope that I can figure this out...the radio is too good to not be able to use because the Apple software refuses to work with the Android platform or vice. versa.
Thanks! I really love the flush look of yours:like:
Sponsored