Sponsored

Installed Genesis Dual Battery Kit and Results Are looking Good!

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I’ve been running the Genesis system for about 8 months and no issues. Prior to that my auxiliary battery failed twice, leaving me stuck and needing a tow to the dealer. Both times they replaced the battery and fuse array. After the second time I went with the Genesis system.
Sponsored

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine a few months now and loving it. No issues at this point. It's good to just have clear access to both batteries. Not sure why Jeep didn't make both batteries easily accessible from the factory.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I've had mine a few months now and loving it. No issues at this point. It's good to just have clear access to both batteries. Not sure why Jeep didn't make both batteries easily accessible from the factory.
Given how little information is in the manual, it almost feels like Jeep doesn’t even want owners to know the second one is in there. It’s a critical part of the electrical system but it doesn’t show up in the index, the first mention is buried under ESS, and in the battery section it shows up as a note after Jeep sings the praises of a maintenance-free battery (as if they haven’t all been that way for decades).

Sure, let’s promote the feature everyone knows about and isn’t in any way to your credit before we tell people the critical information about a feature few vehicles ever sold have had.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Given how little information is in the manual, it almost feels like Jeep doesn’t even want owners to know the second one is in there. It’s a critical part of the electrical system but it doesn’t show up in the index, the first mention is buried under ESS, and in the battery section it shows up as a note after Jeep sings the praises of a maintenance-free battery (as if they haven’t all been that way for decades).

Sure, let’s promote the feature everyone knows about and isn’t in any way to your credit before we tell people the critical information about a feature few vehicles ever sold have had.
Exactly! And I only found out about it as I stumbled on it watching Youtube.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
About the OEM batteries. So I've let both of them sit for about 2 days now and checked the voltages on them. Both have about 12.5V. I don't have a load tester so I'm not sure how bad the little auxiliary battery is. I think the cranking battery is fine and I'll sell it.

I am toying with the idea of connecting the smaller battery to my riding mower and see how it cranks my mower and then retest. I'm not going to attempt to continue using it or selling it. To me it's garbage so if my mower kills it off it's no real loss.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am toying with the idea of connecting the smaller battery to my riding mower and see how it cranks my mower and then retest. To me it's garbage so if my mower kills it off it's no real loss.
I'd be curious to know how that works out. My riding mower, a 25 hp Simplicity ZTR, requires 350CCAs for proper cranking. The largest motorcycle battery in my inventory, presently a YTX20L, is only rated for 270CCAs. The Jeep's ESS battery has the approx. equivalent rating of a YTX14-BS bike battery, which might provide 230CCAs on a good day. If your ESS battery isn't new and/or healthy, it may struggle to start your mower's engine, or even turn the crank at all. Maybe it will work out, though. Keep us posted. 👍

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been in since Oct 2020 and no real issues, there are some what I call design glitches and the major one is the parasite draw of the Cole Hersey solenoid, it’s really high when closed and batteries are connected but once the main crank gets down to 12.7 +/- .1 it opens and that draw goes to zero, my personal preference would be to have it open when the ignition is switched off.

The other and it’s debatable is where the IBS is connected to the aux battery rather than the main crank battery, by original JL design the aux is not monitored using the IBS so charging is determined by what SOC/SOH the main is in and not the aux battery and the Genesis monitors the aux charge as the IBS is connected to it so if the aux charge stays high and solenoid open the main crank battery could possibly get low and not get charged.

About a month or so back I received a battery protection mode EVIC message but all worked normally and the SOC on both batteries were normal and load test was normal, I proceeded to check all connections and fuses and then did a full recondition charge on both batteries and both passed testing and charge and message has never came back so not sure what happened.

I have considered moving the IBS to the main crank battery and that would be a fairly easy swap of moving the Genesis cable around but have yet to find time to do it.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine has been in since Oct 2020 and no real issues, there are some what I call design glitches and the major one is the parasite draw of the Cole Hersey solenoid, it’s really high when closed and batteries are connected but once the main crank gets down to 12.7 +/- .1 it opens and that draw goes to zero, my personal preference would be to have it open when the ignition is switched off.

The other and it’s debatable is where the IBS is connected to the aux battery rather than the main crank battery, by original JL design the aux is not monitored using the IBS so charging is determined by what SOC/SOH the main is in and not the aux battery and the Genesis monitors the aux charge as the IBS is connected to it so if the aux charge stays high and solenoid open the main crank battery could possibly get low and not get charged.

About a month or so back I received a battery protection mode EVIC message but all worked normally and the SOC on both batteries were normal and load test was normal, I proceeded to check all connections and fuses and then did a full recondition charge on both batteries and both passed testing and charge and message has never came back so not sure what happened.

I have considered moving the IBS to the main crank battery and that would be a fairly easy swap of moving the Genesis cable around but have yet to find time to do it.
Good points made here.

I was thinking the same about the IBS being connected to the auxiliary battery with this system instead of the main battery. It's odd why Genesis didn't bother moving the factory IBS to the the new main battery. Easy enough to fix though.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The negative posts are cross connected on both batteries. The isolator only splits out the positive posts. Shouldn't matter which negative post the IBS is attached to.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The negative posts are cross connected on both batteries. The isolator only splits out the positive posts. Shouldn't matter which negative post the IBS is attached to.
The IBS only monitors the current flow into and out of the battery it's directly connected to. And it is the only thing connected to that battery's negative terminal, the cables connect directly to the IBS, not the negative battery terminal.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good points made here.

I was thinking the same about the IBS being connected to the auxiliary battery with this system instead of the main battery. It's odd why Genesis didn't bother moving the factory IBS to the the new main battery. Easy enough to fix though.
I spoke to Shane about this and he advised Genesis wanted to make this install as simple as possible and the IBS cable is wrapped to the same cable as the factory negative with that electrical wrap all makers use so kind of a hassle to unwrap it but not impossible, mine is already unwrapped so I honestly have no excuse not to do it but I’m not honestly having any issues so I keep putting it on the back burner.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I spoke to Shane about this and he advised Genesis wanted to make this install as simple as possible and the IBS cable is wrapped to the same cable as the factory negative with that electrical wrap all makers use so kind of a hassle to unwrap it but not impossible, mine is already unwrapped so I honestly have no excuse not to do it but I’m not honestly having any issues so I keep putting it on the back burner.
That's understandable. I dont think Genesis noted this deviation from the factory connection anywhere I've looked before. If given that information we can then decide which direction to move in during installation.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of the voltage range I'm witnessing while driving now. Driving today with only the radio and headlights on and I see it vary from 13.1V to 14.5V. It never did that before I installed this system. Might need to go ahead and swap the IBS to the cranking battery.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hello all

I know nothing about this topic except that there is 2 batteries in my jeep. Why do I need a genesis battery system?

I did read a post on here months back about completely doing away with the Aux battery. So would this be a better solution, just get rid of the Aux. battery all together and I assume disable the ESS at the same time. Zero future issues, yes? (Unless of course you want ESS, I shut mine off every time I start my jeep because I do not want a turbocharged engine shutting off ever)

Thanks

Reactions: J0E

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all

I know nothing about this topic except that there is 2 batteries in my jeep. Why do I need a genesis battery system?

I did read a post on here months back about completely doing away with the Aux battery. So would this be a better solution, just get rid of the Aux. battery all together and I assume disable the ESS at the same time. Zero future issues, yes? (Unless of course you want ESS, I shut mine off every time I start my jeep because I do not want a turbocharged engine shutting off ever)

Thanks
Jeep JL & Gladiator Dual Battery Kit Installation Guide - YouTube

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Thanks for the link. I did some research yesterday also. Nice system, although a little pricy. Not sure if it is priced right or not as I don't know that much about the cost on these types of items.

That said, it looks like you are going to be at around the $1,200 mark all said and done.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E