Sponsored

Installed Genesis Dual Battery Kit and Results Are looking Good!

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have had this kit sitting in my garage for a while and just hadn't had time to install or couldn't take my Jeep out if Service. I even got the Full River AGM batteries.

Anyway had time today and I took way longer to install since I inspected all that hard to see/reach stuff while I had the opportunity. Tightened ground strap from firewall to engine. Looked for leaks and found none. Verified those locks are engaged on those plugs that many of us are unaware of. Basically a pretty thorough visual check.

Install was not bad, but removal was a bit more tricky. I have a winch so I had to deal with that wiring during removal and installation.

After install I double checked all connections I touched and even the factory ones including Genesis ones. Very impressed by the Genesis wiring.

Ok here's my personal observations on design and where I think there is just a little room for improvement.

1. There should be some vertical bolts in the bottom that will clamp this tray down better near the front just like the factory tray. I'm going to modify this tray to have these later.

2. One of the two horizontal bolts that bolt the tray in near the front outer edge are too long and should be shortened. (See attached photo). If the battery moves over from vibration and bumps, the bolt is likely to puncture the battery casing. Easy fix, but just a heads up.

My ESS had stopped working back in mid November and is now working again!.

Battery voltage is 14.5V at idle and no faults or any signs of oddities.

That's all I have on it right now.

Edit: So to be clear, the shorter bolts that are described and shown in the install video were missing from my kit. Of course I didn't think much of it and just wanted to point out that if anyone else has the same issue to be aware and correct this by trimming off the factory bolts or use some shorter bolts if you already have some.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Genesis Dual Battery Kit and Results Are looking Good! 20211230_222907

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Genesis Dual Battery Kit and Results Are looking Good! 20211230_220541
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the report, I’ve been researching the battery situation tonight and just watched the install video so this is quite timely.
You're welcome!

Yes, this is something that will take some time. Knowing the details before grabbing your wrenches is best. If all you do is remove and install with no time spent on inspecting like I did, it's about a 2 hour job. At least that's my guess if you have experience and the proper tools. With little to no experience you could still do this in about 3 - 4 hours. But I'm guessing some will be watching and re-watching the how to video while doing this.

Do yourself a favor and get a rag or towel and ease the hood back onto the windshield frame using the rag or towel to avoid damaged paint. Gives you more lighting and room to work.

I was careful to route the wires I moved so they aren't against metal edges that could lead to shorts later. Pretty easy to do and looks cleaner too. Batteries can move a little so I put as much of a gap I could between them for some air flow. Not necessary, but I did it anyway.

BTW, the group 25 Full River AGM batteries are pretty heavy. Better eat your Wheaties before trying to set these bad boys in.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
BTW, the group 34 Full River AGM batteries are pretty heavy. Better eat your Wheaties before trying to set these bad boys in.
This is all helpful, thanks, but this part has me confused: the Genesis page specifically refers to group 25.

(This is also all hypothetical: my JLR hasn’t yet been built. But, soon, probably, hopefully.)

Sponsored

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is all helpful, thanks, but this part has me confused: the Genesis page specifically refers to group 25.

(This is also all hypothetical: my JLR hasn’t yet been built. But, soon, probably, hopefully.)
Group 34 and Group 25 are the same size. The difference is Group 25 has the polarity reversed, and is needed by the Genesis dual battery system. Group 34 will not work.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I have had this setup for over a year now and it has been problem free. I also installed the remote monitor above my windshield. And the Genesis supplied remote 12V wiring to run my Fridge. That monitor install took me longer than putting the battery kit in. Genesis System gets a thumbs up from me.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Group 34 and Group 25 are the same size. The difference is Group 25 has the polarity reversed, and is needed by the Genesis dual battery system. Group 34 will not work.
You are correct, I made an error on that battery group in my post. Not sure where I got that number from lol.

Reactions: gbr
OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Tommywear

Thank you for the detailed explanation! All JL owners should read it.

You are right on the money about all of those points. I hadn't been paying attention to my ESS system and never observed any warnings. It simply stopped working. After I realized it had stopped working one day after stopping several times and I hadn't disabled it manually, I looked at the engine status screens. Specifically battery voltage. Looked a bit lower at 14.1V-14.2V compared to 14.4-14.5 I was used to when newer.

Later when I was able to spend time really looking things over I found the ESS status as not ready and battery charging. Before that screen always had shown as just ESS Off when I disabled it or ESS ready when I hadn't. And I had never had to retry starting my Jeep. It's always started with a single try.

Also, it wasn't a loose or corroded battery cable since I verified all of those during removal of the original batteries.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Thanks, Rollie, for the intel on the installation process, esp. the mention of a slightly-too-long fastener. My Dremel cutting wheel would make short work of that fix.

The Genesis dual battery system is on my To Buy list. I'll likely consider moving forward the moment that stupid little factory ESS battery starts acting dodgy.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trivial but Genesis needs to include a cover. Looks like a Star Wars prop :bandit:
A cover could be something they offer. A simple non metallic cover wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. I'm actually ok with the Star Wars prop look since I'm an original fan lol.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
A cover could be something they offer. A simple non metallic cover wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. I'm actually ok with the Star Wars prop look since I'm an original fan lol.
You and me both!!!

But, in all seriousness good job...I bought the 3.6 eTorque to avoid this problem. Otherwise I'd be installing the Genesis no doubt!!!

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, Rollie, for the intel on the installation process, esp. the mention of a slightly-too-long fastener. My Dremel cutting wheel would make short work of that fix.

The Genesis dual battery system is on my To Buy list. I'll likely consider moving forward the moment that stupid little factory ESS battery starts acting dodgy.
You're welcome!
I'm very pleased with this kit and I'm certain you will be too.

One more thing about the install. The six power connections on the fuse box are numbered already. The numbers are stamped into them. Adding larger easier to read numbers with a marker will certainly help. So dont panic if you had forgotten to number them. Taking pictures of things in place before removal is worth the time. It's saved me from a few headaches in the past.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You and me both!!!

But, in all seriousness good job...I bought the 3.6 eTorque to avoid this problem. Otherwise I'd be installing the Genesis no doubt!!!
Thanks! You are right though, they should develop and offer a simple cover for anyone that wants a tidier look.

I'm certain a person with plenty of accessories also wired in there could want the wiring less obvious.
Sponsored

Last edited: