303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I was experiencing bump steer(death wobble but only over bumps in the road). 2018 JLUR with Mopar 2” and 37s.
I installed the Fox steering stabilizer and the bump steer went away. The steering actually felt great.
BUT the big issue which is a huge issue for me is that the steering wheel locks up and won’t move when 4wheeling some very technical sections that I absolutely cannot afford the wheels to lock up.
I was in Moab this past weekend and the steering wheel would just lock and not more the wheels at almost zero speed while I am trying to reposition my tires for the correct line. I am 99% sure it is the shock preventing me from moving the wheels.

I need help.
Is the only answer to buy an adjustable SS?
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I’ve been running the Fox SS for several months now and I have never experienced this. I’d recommend you take a look at all the components in the steering system, if for nothing else, just to make sure something else isn’t the issue.

I recommend you switch back to the factory stabilizer and see if the issue continues, simple process of elimination. If it is the Fox SS, contact Fox they’ll replace it if it’s still under the warranty period. Best of luck, keep us posted.

OP
OP
303rider

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been running the Fox SS for several months now and I have never experienced this. I’d recommend you take a look at all the components in the steering system, if for nothing else, just to make sure something else isn’t the issue.

I recommend you switch back to the factory stabilizer and see if the issue continues, simple process of elimination. If it is the Fox SS, contact Fox they’ll replace it if it’s still under the warranty period. Best of luck, keep us posted.
Thanks for the input. I am confident that it is the SS because it is stiff resistance when I am trying to quickly re-position the tires and if I move the wheel back the other direction and slowly turn the wheels it feels more soft.
Hard to explain.

K9driver

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR & Toyota 4Runner
My Fox SS was causing a pull to the right. Fox customer service is a joke and they basically told me to break it in. I put the factory one back on and the pulling to the right went away. Good luck with dealing with them; complete waste of my time and money.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I was experiencing bump steer(death wobble but only over bumps in the road).
I don't have any advice for your stabilizer issue, but I would like to point out that bump steer ≠ death wobble.

Bump steer refers to the vehicle steering angle changing when the suspension cycling over bumps. Death wobble is violent uncontrollable oscillation that won't stop until you slow down.

Sponsored

ERAUGrad04

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1956 Oval VW, Model X
Was your front axle locked? What tire pressure? What you are describing sounds normal if you were either locked or running low tire pressure offroad (or both!).

OP
OP
303rider

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was your front axle locked? What tire pressure? What you are describing sounds normal if you were either locked or running low tire pressure offroad (or both!).
I think I was locked with low tire pressure. It is very possible this is normal and has nothing to do with the SS.

Do you experience the same thing under those conditions?

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you have your front locked in high traction off-road terrain, you will not be able to steer. You need to unlock your front axle.
Sponsored