Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I have had several Jeeps over the past years, including JK's and TJ's. Sufficient lighting was always lacking so inevitably I added the A pillar lights by the windshield. Most were always the cube type and I aimed the lights off to the side of the Jeep so I could see the dark areas that were dark. I wanted these same "side" lights on my JL but was searching for something new, different and maybe even better.

I came across D and C lighting and they had just the light I was looking for. https://dandcdesigns.net/

They make a fantastic product that is 100% made in America. The quality is top notch and their customer service is fantastic. Each cowl is custom painted to an exact match to your vehicle. The install is amazingly easy.

Shipping was fast. I ordered the lights on January 4 and they arrived on January 12. They were shipped from California to Pensacola, FL and I did not pay for any type of express shipping.

The Hella Yella was in stock, but not the Sarge Green. I simply gave him the paint code from my door jam decal, they were painted and in the mail on January 8.

The light output is much better than I thought it would and the light is pointed downward to the sides of the vehicle where is needed most.

The lights also have the option of tapping into the wiring harness and also functions as an orange turn signal. I opted to not yet use the turn signal function.

The yellow set in the background is for my wifes Rubicon.

Details on installation are just before each set of pictures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (3)

First remove the 4 Torx bolts (T40) from each of the OEM cowl covers. Raise the hood, slightly lift the long plastic piece under the wipers and simply slide the covers off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (4)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (7)

Cover removed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (5)

Each of the new lights have 3 wires; white, green and black. White is power, green is for turn signal and black is ground. Wiring instructions were also included.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (13)

I simply connected the white wires to my auxiliary switch 2 and grounded each light to the body of the Jeep close to the A pillar. This eliminated the need to run an additional ground wire across the engine bay. I ran one wire from the light on the drivers side and ran it behind the clamps on the rear of the engine bay, and zip tied each for security. I then soldered the connections and covered them with shrink wrap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (14)

Here are the lights installed. I really like the clean look and the paint matched perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (8)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (9)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (10)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (11)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (12)

Here are some pictures with the lights on, in my garage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (15)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (16)

The next 3 pictures are in my 3 car garage after dark. There are no lights on in the garage and it was completely dark. The ONLY lights that are on are both cowl lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (17)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (18)

This is from the front of the Jeep with both cowl lights on and NO other lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (19)

The next 3 pictures show how the light is slightly angled down. Again, no other lights on but the cowl lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (20)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (21)

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (22)

Here is the light on a dark road. The lights that on are the Jeep headlights and tail lights.
These were taken from the drivers seat.

Passenger side, lights off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (23)

Passenger side, lights on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (25)

Drivers side, lights off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (24)

Drivers side, lights on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed D and C Cowl Lights on 2020 Rubicon Cowl Light (26)

These are fantastic lights and give light where I need it. They fit so well into the design of the JL.

At $475.00 a pair, they are not cheap, but considering the work, custom matching paint and quality of work, they were worth the price to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buffalomtn

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Thanks for sharing this. I’m definitely going to look into this. Much appreciated!

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I have had several Jeeps over the past years, including JK's and TJ's. Sufficient lighting was always lacking so inevitably I added the A pillar lights by the windshield. Most were always the cube type and I aimed the lights off to the side of the Jeep so I could see the dark areas that were dark. I wanted these same "side" lights on my JL but was searching for something new, different and maybe even better.

I came across D and C lighting and they had just the light I was looking for. https://dandcdesigns.net/

They make a fantastic product that is 100% made in America. The quality is top notch and their customer service is fantastic. Each cowl is custom painted to an exact match to your vehicle. The install is amazingly easy.

Shipping was fast. I ordered the lights on January 4 and they arrived on January 12. They were shipped from California to Pensacola, FL and I did not pay for any type of express shipping.

The Hella Yella was in stock, but not the Sarge Green. I simply gave him the paint code from my door jam decal, they were painted and in the mail on January 8.

The light output is much better than I thought it would and the light is pointed downward to the sides of the vehicle where is needed most.

The lights also have the option of tapping into the wiring harness and also functions as an orange turn signal. I opted to not yet use the turn signal function.

The yellow set in the background is for my wifes Rubicon.

Details on installation are just before each set of pictures.

Cowl Light (1).jpg

Cowl Light (2).jpg

Cowl Light (3).jpg

First remove the 4 Torx bolts (T40) from each of the OEM cowl covers. Raise the hood, slightly lift the long plastic piece under the wipers and simply slide the covers off.

Cowl Light (4).jpg

Cowl Light (7).jpg

Cover removed.

Cowl Light (5).jpg

Each of the new lights have 3 wires; white, green and black. White is power, green is for turn signal and black is ground. Wiring instructions were also included.

Cowl Light (13).jpg

I simply connected the white wires to my auxiliary switch 2 and grounded each light to the body of the Jeep close to the A pillar. This eliminated the need to run an additional ground wire across the engine bay. I ran one wire from the light on the drivers side and ran it behind the clamps on the rear of the engine bay, and zip tied each for security. I then soldered the connections and covered them with shrink wrap.

Cowl Light (14).jpg

Here are the lights installed. I really like the clean look and the paint matched perfectly.

Cowl Light (8).jpg

Cowl Light (9).jpg

Cowl Light (10).jpg

Cowl Light (11).jpg

Cowl Light (12).jpg

Here are some pictures with the lights on, in my garage.

Cowl Light (15).jpg

Cowl Light (16).jpg

The next 3 pictures are in my 3 car garage after dark. There are no lights on in the garage and it was completely dark. The ONLY lights that are on are both cowl lights.

Cowl Light (17).jpg

Cowl Light (18).jpg

This is from the front of the Jeep with both cowl lights on and NO other lights.

Cowl Light (19).jpg

The next 3 pictures show how the light is slightly angled down. Again, no other lights on but the cowl lights.

Cowl Light (20).jpg

Cowl Light (21).jpg

Cowl Light (22).jpg

Here is the light on a dark road. The lights that on are the Jeep headlights and tail lights.
These were taken from the drivers seat.

Passenger side, lights off.

Cowl Light (23).jpg

Passenger side, lights on.

Cowl Light (25).jpg

Drivers side, lights off.

Cowl Light (24).jpg

Drivers side, lights on.

Cowl Light (26).jpg

These are fantastic lights and give light where I need it. They fit so well into the design of the JL.

At $475.00 a pair, they are not cheap, but considering the work, custom matching paint and quality of work, they were worth the price to me.
I have a pair on mine and I love them!

Also my paint is Granite Crystal and the D&C Designs ones were a noticeable BETTER COLOR MATCH THAN FACTORY.

I saw another user on YouTube with his Jeep Bromance that’s sting grey I believe. His were also color matches to the rest of the Jeep noticeably BETTER than the factory ones.

Mine were so off from the factory I pointed it out to may salesman the day I took delivery. He pulled out every trick in the book saying it was fine with things like... “Oh it’s the angle of the part, curvature of the part, the time of day right now, the way the sun is hitting it, they all look like that, it’s because the part is plastic, they look fine to me.”

I just took the Jeep knowing I’d probably mod that part anyway LOL.

And here we are the D&C ones actually match. The salesman was full of shit and the factory parts didn’t match for shit

:swear:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
This is a great idea, thanks!
Sponsored