Sponsored

Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I read about one other person doing this, but could not find a write up of any kind. If you want the topliner, keep in mind they take 30 days to make and ship for some reason. The first one that I purchased through Morris took 5 weeks to get to my house, only to find out the box was destroyed during delivery! Morris promised to fix it, but over a month later (now nearly 3 months into this) I still did not have the parts to install it. Anyway, returned it and found a guy on Craigslist that had one for sale near me.

The difference in sound noise is night and day! The radio sounds better, people can hear me on the hands free phone, and the black really looks better than the white in my opinion. Seems to have reduced the cold inside the JL as well. Certainly cooler to the touch. Will be interested in seeing what it is like in the summer. This should be offered by the factory. The fit and finish looks OEM. There is Zero smell from the Kilmat or Topliner.

The topliner itself is not much more than some carpet that you would see on a high end speaker box. However, it is perfectly form fit and fairly easy to install. I wanted a bit more heat and noise reduction so I chose to line almost the entire top with Kilmat. The 50 sqft box from Amazon was enough for the entire top. This significantly increases the time that it takes for installation. I would say it took at least 10 hours for me to do this on my own.

There are a couple of videos already out there on how to install the topliner itself. A few tips if you are going to use the Kilmat:
  • Carefully check all points that will contact the body of the Jeep before putting the Kilmat on those spots. I did not do this and found that it actually raised the freedom panels enough to increase air noise. After I pulled back the topliner and cut the Kilmat out, they sat down nicely. Fortunately, I did that before the rear part of the hard top so I did not make the same mistake twice
  • If it is cold - pre heat the Kilmat with a space heater, I was working in a garage with a few heaters on as it was 23 degrees out. Goes on much easier this way.
  • Buy a cheap roller set to roll the Kilmat on once you have it all laid out
  • Regardless of whether it is cold or not, heat the Kilmat as you are rolling it down
  • Buy additional double sided tape for topliner
  • Leave a patch of the Kilmat off above the GPS/XM antenna. I tested this before by placing a few Kilmat layers directly on top of the antenna with the top off and it worked fine. So I thought I could line the entire top. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the single cut out when I did this. I had to lift the top up and pull back the liner to cut away the Kilmat above the antenna. I only cut about a 6"x6" patch away and it worked perfectly.
I have included a few pics below, I forgot to take a picture of the topliner installed with the top laying on the ground as a neighbor was walking by right when I finished so I grabbed him to help me lift the top back on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2046.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2241.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2242.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2246.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2247.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2239.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2281.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2282.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2284.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat IMG_2285.JPG
Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Quick question about the the sound mat? Why did you do 100% coverage where as 25% is about the same in regards to sound deading? I mean it looks like you did a great job but you may have used more than you needed to.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Sorry about the wait times on that. This would show you why it takes a bit + shipping hubs having massive delays.

https://www.coverking.com/leadtimes
Was not the wait time, it was the lack of urgency around fixing the problem of the box shipped with missing parts. I was not going to bring the details up on this thread, but since your replied... Your customer service team dropped the ball. I called, they told me they would order me the replacement parts. Waited for the parts to show up, never did, so I called again. At that point the rep told me that I never called before! I had to ask for a manager (never pulled a Karen move like that before, but also not used to being called a liar) and then showed him the email transactions from the first time I called. Turns out the first rep never put in any notes or ordered the missing parts. Manager said he would take care of it. Waited another 3 weeks and was sent the wrong parts! 3 months into it and all I was offered was a refund and you would order me another one at full price that would take another month to receive.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Quick question about the the sound mat? Why did you do 100% coverage where as 25% is about the same in regards to sound deading? I mean it looks like you did a great job but you may have used more than you needed to.
I was also looking for some help with regulating the inside temperature. It would certainly have been easier to do 25%. Most high end audio shops run nearly 100% mat when they can... Especially on the floor and ceiling.

Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I was also looking for some help with regulating the inside temperature. It would certainly have been easier to do 25%. Most high end audio shops run nearly 100% mat when they can... Especially on the floor and ceiling.
I was in car audio for a while and the 100% coverage was dispelled a while ago after sound deadener showdown showed test before and after with 100% vs 25% and showed that a de-coupling layer that was pretty dense actually played a large part in actually sound deadening.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I was in car audio for a while and the 100% coverage was dispelled a while ago after sound deadener showdown showed test before and after with 100% vs 25% and showed that a de-coupling layer that was pretty dense actually played a large part in actually sound deadening.

There are still varying opinions on that. Not going to argue with you though. My college roommate and I worked on high end cars at the very start of the audio craze in the 80's, he ended up starting his own business https://www.benchmarkmotoring.com/about-us We always run 100% coverage where possible. For me, it added extra time and the material cost difference was minimal.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
There are still varying opinions on that. Not going to argue with you though. My college roommate and I worked on high end cars at the very start of the audio craze in the 80's, he ended up starting his own business https://www.benchmarkmotoring.com/about-us We always run 100% coverage where possible. For me, it added extra time and the material cost difference was minimal.
gotcha sorry wasn’t trying to seem argumentative was just trying to learn, either way you did a phenomenal job, thinking about doing this myself.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

gotcha sorry wasn’t trying to seem argumentative was just trying to learn, either way you did a phenomenal job, thinking about doing this myself.
I did not take it as argumentative at all. Just did not want to go back and forth as I see on so many other threads. Lol.

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That’s a very nice looking liner. Looks to be more involved install wise than the others.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

If you just install the headliner it probably is not too much more work than the other ones on the market. However, a few can go on without removing the top and have more density to them. To my knowledge this is the only one out there that covers the entire inside of the hardtop. Completely changes the look inside in my opinion.

The other thing I failed to mention is that I did not have any fitment issues. I read a few people had problems around the windows. Maybe they have updated their pattern or something. Really happy with the fit!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you just install the headliner it probably is not too much more work than the other ones on the market. However, a few can go on without removing the top and have more density to them. To my knowledge this is the only one out there that covers the entire inside of the hardtop. Completely changes the look inside in my opinion.

The other thing I failed to mention is that I did not have any fitment issues. I read a few people had problems around the windows. Maybe they have updated their pattern or something. Really happy with the fit!
Looks great!

I'm interested, since I'm in the process of lining the tub with Kilmat currently. Did you do any tub or door sound suppression?

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Looks great!

I'm interested, since I'm in the process of lining the tub with Kilmat currently. Did you do any tub or door sound suppression?
Not yet. If I end up adding in another subwoofer, I might lay some down then. With the top lined, the road noise was greatly reduced. So much better than my TJ. It is almost in line with my Grand Cherokee SRT. However, with the lift coming soon and 37 or 39"s, I am not sure that there will be much that will keep the tire noise out. I am OK with it at that point as I will not be daily driving it as much.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Can you describe the Coverking material? Is it a multilayer accoustic laminate? I'm still trying to decide if I want full coverage of the roof.

Do you think the Kilmat was the big swinger in the noise reduction?

I'm going to finish installing Kilmat in the tub today, then I'll line it with Dynaliner foam and start putting it back together.

Once that's done, I'll move on to the doors. I completed one door in the spring. It made that door sound like a Lexus door when you close it. But the effect on the overall noise level at 75 mph was negligible, since its such small percentage of the affected area.

I would not write off doing sound suppresion just because your tires will be noisy. In that regard, I would expect the perceived effect may even be greater.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My progress. Slow, but I'm finally almost finished with the kilmat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat 20210112_085905
Sponsored