Installed Coverking Topliner with sound deadening mat

RJP

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Jeep Wrangler 392
I read about one other person doing this, but could not find a write up of any kind. If you want the topliner, keep in mind they take 30 days to make and ship for some reason. The first one that I purchased through Morris took 5 weeks to get to my house, only to find out the box was destroyed during delivery! Morris promised to fix it, but over a month later (now nearly 3 months into this) I still did not have the parts to install it. Anyway, returned it and found a guy on Craigslist that had one for sale near me.

The difference in sound noise is night and day! The radio sounds better, people can hear me on the hands free phone, and the black really looks better than the white in my opinion. Seems to have reduced the cold inside the JL as well. Certainly cooler to the touch. Will be interested in seeing what it is like in the summer. This should be offered by the factory. The fit and finish looks OEM. There is Zero smell from the Kilmat or Topliner.

The topliner itself is not much more than some carpet that you would see on a high end speaker box. However, it is perfectly form fit and fairly easy to install. I wanted a bit more heat and noise reduction so I chose to line almost the entire top with Kilmat. The 50 sqft box from Amazon was enough for the entire top. This significantly increases the time that it takes for installation. I would say it took at least 10 hours for me to do this on my own.

There are a couple of videos already out there on how to install the topliner itself. A few tips if you are going to use the Kilmat:
  • Carefully check all points that will contact the body of the Jeep before putting the Kilmat on those spots. I did not do this and found that it actually raised the freedom panels enough to increase air noise. After I pulled back the topliner and cut the Kilmat out, they sat down nicely. Fortunately, I did that before the rear part of the hard top so I did not make the same mistake twice
  • If it is cold - pre heat the Kilmat with a space heater, I was working in a garage with a few heaters on as it was 23 degrees out. Goes on much easier this way.
  • Buy a cheap roller set to roll the Kilmat on once you have it all laid out
  • Regardless of whether it is cold or not, heat the Kilmat as you are rolling it down
  • Buy additional double sided tape for topliner
  • Leave a patch of the Kilmat off above the GPS/XM antenna. I tested this before by placing a few Kilmat layers directly on top of the antenna with the top off and it worked fine. So I thought I could line the entire top. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the single cut out when I did this. I had to lift the top up and pull back the liner to cut away the Kilmat above the antenna. I only cut about a 6"x6" patch away and it worked perfectly.
I have included a few pics below, I forgot to take a picture of the topliner installed with the top laying on the ground as a neighbor was walking by right when I finished so I grabbed him to help me lift the top back on.

IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG
How well has your Topliner held up? Any detachment problems?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

How well has your Topliner held up? Any detachment problems?
Has held up great. Keep in mind that I take it off and store it in my garage for the summer so I don't have much extreme heat experience. I did it more for the sound deadening and look vs the white factory color.

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
Has held up great. Keep in mind that I take it off and store it in my garage for the summer so I don't have much extreme heat experience. I did it more for the sound deadening and look vs the white factory color.
You may of answered this somewhere else, but what thickness Kilmat did you use? 50mil?
Waiting till Fall to install my Topliner.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I used the thinner of the two that were offered. I believe it was the 50.

cycler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 VW Golf GTI Autobahn, 2022 Jeep GC 4Xe
I agree a radiant barrier would be best. I could not find one that was reasonably priced that I could use under the topliner. I liked the Hothead product, but wanted 100% coverage of the inside of the top and could not get it with the Hothead line. With the topliner, you do not even know that this is a fiberglass removable hard top from the inside.
You mentioned that you couldnt find a reasonably priced radiant barrier that could be used under the topliner. I searched online for radiant barriers that could be used on the Jeep Wrangler hardtop and with the Coverking topliner. Nothing came up except Hothead headliners radiant barriers. Those are used already made with their headliner. Lizard Skins came up But I dont want to spray anything. Maybe I googled it wrong. Can you write what you found back in 2021 even if it wasnt reasonably priced?

Sponsored

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting to see that someone did this. I just installed the DEI Boom Mat on the top and the cheap Amazon sound deadener to the floor, Huge difference in sound and relief -somewhat - from the heat radiating down from the top.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

You mentioned that you couldnt find a reasonably priced radiant barrier that could be used under the topliner. I searched online for radiant barriers that could be used on the Jeep Wrangler hardtop and with the Coverking topliner. Nothing came up except Hothead headliners radiant barriers. Those are used already made with their headliner. Lizard Skins came up But I dont want to spray anything. Maybe I googled it wrong. Can you write what you found back in 2021 even if it wasnt reasonably priced?
Search Thermo-Tec... They make a heat barrier, not sure it is any better than the Kilmat for this purpose.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
has anyone installed their Mopar sound pads on top of the cover king topliner?
For more sound deadening And if so. What did you attach it with ?

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

has anyone installed their Mopar sound pads on top of the cover king topliner?
For more sound deadening And if so. What did you attach it with ?
I am not sure it would be of that much benefit. Between the Kilmat and the coverking, there is plenty of sound deadening. If you wanted to quiet the cab further, pulling the carpet and placing kilmat under that would be your best bet. I have the Amorlite on the floor and that is really thick. I may go back and Kilmat the wheel wells at some point.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I am not sure it would be of that much benefit. Between the Kilmat and the coverking, there is plenty of sound deadening. If you wanted to quiet the cab further, pulling the carpet and placing kilmat under that would be your best bet. I have the Amorlite on the floor and that is really thick. I may go back and Kilmat the wheel wells at some point.
so i installed the Mopar rear left and right window surrounds and what i noticed was a tighter more focused sound from the speakers, i have installed killmat under the carpet and inside the quarter panels and all 4 doors , never thought of the fenders though, are you referring installing them behind the fender lines , in between the fender and the liners ? all around ? to cut tire/road noise ?

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Inside the rear of the vehicle behind the plastic areas on top of the metal wheel wells. Lots of road noise comes through there. Armorlite has finally come out with the rear cargo area that covers part of the wheel wells, but not the part that is behind all the plasict...
Sponsored