Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Safari
Occupation
Retired Navy
Hi,
I gave my 18' JLU Sahara a couple of Christmas presents: A cold air intake & a cat-back exhaust. Now I've lost 2mpg and I was told I need a Tuner. Any suggestions? Yes, it sounds great but I really didn't want to lose gas mileage.
Sponsored

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
Well you increased performance which inversely crashed your MPG. You don’t buy a Jeep to worry about MPG. Enjoy the few gains you’ve added, and don’t stress about to 2 MPG.

Have you pulled any fuses to reset the computer? I’m also thinking the computer hasn’t recognized the changes. I could and am probably wrong, but it's worth considering.

OP
OP
bcupton

bcupton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Safari
Occupation
Retired Navy
Good point! What fuses? How would I reset the computer? I use a Tazer JL Mini to tweak a few things...but it has no effect on the internal workings of the engine. Thanks again!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Not sure about the Pentastar, but in the past I've noticed freer-flowing aftermarket intakes (whether drop-in, open-air, etc) tend to drop your fuel economy slightly at first, but after a few months of getting dirty and letting the ECU adjust, my mpg always seems to go back to normal and eventually does a few mpg better than before installing.

Not sure how accurate it is, but I remember reading K&N posting something about the minor dirt/dust accumulation somehow better funneling the air into the intake. I'm also guessing that an initial drop in fuel economy is partly due to lead-foot (listening for added 'swoosh' noises or checking for any minor performance gains) and partly due to the ECU adjusting for any air flow differences (disconnecting/reconnecting the battery might speed this process up). An immediate ECU tune would probably correct this, but is likely unnecessary if keeping the stock MAF housing diameter the same.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I'm pretty sure the Livernois tune is focused on power, not fuel economy.

I think if you disconnect the battery overnight the ECU will reset and begin to relearn.
I have had their tune for about a year. You get a power and mpg benefit. I personally gained 2 mpg. Their trans tune is great as well, makes 8th a more usable gear. It's expensive but any good tune is.

Resetting the system wont do anything.
Sponsored