Install XR fender flares

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
I’m so pissed off right now. Yes, it’s totally my fault that I didn’t read the fine print and see that these are for Rubicon fenders. Having said that, why the hell don’t they put rubicon only in the damn title?! Does anyone have a picture of what it looked like when they trimmed the rear flares to make them fit a standard fender? If you don’t have the skill to cut and shape this piece I can’t imagine it would even look right. :mad:
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
because they are not for Rubicon only?

for example, if you had ordered a Willys with the XR package, it would have come with the hi-Line fenders that the spats are made for.

I’m so pissed off right now. Yes, it’s totally my fault that I didn’t read the fine print and see that these are for Rubicon fenders. Having said that, why the hell don’t they put rubicon only in the damn title?! Does anyone have a picture of what it looked like when they trimmed the rear flares to make them fit a standard fender? If you don’t have the skill to cut and shape this piece I can’t imagine it would even look right. :mad:

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These flares are only for the higher rubicon fenders. Mine is a Willys and has the standard fenders.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
you're close; the spats are for the HiLine Fenders, which are used on the Rubicon, but not *exclusively* on the Rubicon.
a standard Willys will not have the Hi-Line Fenders, but most models (including the Willys) can be ordered in configurations that will include the Hi-Line Fenders.

point being; the Hi-Line fenders are *not* "rubicon only".

These flares are only for the higher rubicon fenders. Mine is a Willys and has the standard fenders.

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you're close; the spats are for the HiLine Fenders, which are used on the Rubicon, but not *exclusively* on the Rubicon.
a standard Willys will not have the Hi-Line Fenders, but most models (including the Willys) can be ordered in configurations that will include the Hi-Line Fenders.

point being; the Hi-Line fenders are *not* "rubicon only".
I appreciate the clarification. :)

Has anyone "modified" the rear flares to fit the standard fender and if so, can you please post pics of the end result?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
For those of you that have installed these, how well does it reduce the amount of debris going on the vehicle?

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
For those of you that have installed these, how well does it reduce the amount of debris going on the vehicle?
Hi,

I would say they help, I live off a dirt road, and for the most part it keeps 1 and a half doors clean, still get some spray on the last half or the rear door and the rear fender. I also have the wider performance sliders and Weather Tech Mud flaps and that also helps.

Regards,
Jim

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I know people are mixed on the flares, but installed a set on my non-XR 392 and love them. I have 37s on -12 offset and the poke was too much for me before. I really like the way these mostly cover the tires now. TBD if they help with the crazy amount of messy splash from the tires.

A3AFD1E7-4FCD-45DD-84E9-1175B2EF1551.jpeg

Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Torn between a set of XR flares vs "EZ Flares", which also look nice and can be cut to run the full length of the flares if desired. Checked the @AllMoparParts.com site for the XR flares, but still shows out of stock with no ETA. Any updates on availability?

Espinosa21

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
Torn between a set of XR flares vs "EZ Flares", which also look nice and can be cut to run the full length of the flares if desired. Checked the @AllMoparParts.com site for the XR flares, but still shows out of stock with no ETA. Any updates on availability?
I order mine on June 1 from AllMoparParts.com and they arrived a few days later. The install took less than an hour and that included having to go buy a rivet gun at a local harbor freight.

2D46E147-6CD6-4DB9-9EBC-E98E9BD4088B.jpeg

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Trimmed back about 1" from the leading edge to eliminate the one bend in the flare that doesn't fit the Willys fender.

It looks great to me and they still work well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Install XR fender flares 20220405_130110

Jeep Wrangler JL Install XR fender flares 20220405_130011

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
We are going to update the site, We ask for about 10 days processing time right now.

Thank you and Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Benny

Paulo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2.0 Turbo Sport S
I ordered the XR fender flares a while ago and they arrived today. Took me about 1hr 20min to do and that was figuring out what is needed and taking all the pics to do this write up. I did it during my lunch break (was working at home). I would guess most people could do this in an hour or less.
One thing I was surprised by is each fender requires drilling 3 additional holes, but this is into plastic so it is easy.

Here is what I did and what I used:

Tools:
- Drill​
- 1/8 & 1/4 inch drill bits (3mm & 6mm)​
- Plastic rivet tool (this is the one I thought looked good and it worked well for me, Amazon)​
- 6 x 30mm plastic rivets (Amazon ones I thought looked good and happy with how they performed)​
- Trim tool, christmas tree tool or small screw driver to remove drilled out rivets​
- Angled cutters or knife. I have a pair of cutters that are straight bladed and they work great for this or zipties when you're snipping up against a surface. Highly recommend a set if you don't have one already.​

Parts: I'd recommend talking to Benny @AllMoparParts.com, for OEM parts. Great prices and customer service.
- XR rubicon fender flares (set of 4 - PN: JLRECONFLAREEXT)
68536652AA (front right)​
68536653AA (front left)​
68536654AA (rear right)​
68536655AA (rear left)​

How they are packaged. My fronts were a little twisted when installing but they worked themselves out ok. If yours are really bad you could soften with a little heat from a heatgun to help form them as needed. Just be careful to not over heat them.

A quick how to use these rivets, yeah its basic, but if someone hasn't before it lets them see what is done before they have parts in hand to figure it out.

Because of the loose fit, I had to put them in the gun. Push the gun firmly against the surface (perpendicular to surface) and then squeeze the handle. I found for this gun, rivets and application I had to reset and squeeze again because the pull wasn't long enough.

Rear Install
I started in the rear. Clean the area you're doing the install and dry.
Drill out the 5 existing rivets that need to be removed with 1/8in drill bit. Red arrows show which.

Pull the rivets out of the fender. I used this tool, but a trim tool or small screw driver will work. Do your best to not scratch the fenders, I didn't scratch mine but I think they look like they would scratch easy.

A note about drilling out the rivets.
The fenders (F & R) are hollow and I think I found all my rivet tips in the driveway with a little shaking of the fender and liner. If I missed any I'm sure they will shake themselves out in a short while. If you're concerned by this, you can pull back the fender liner to pull any that don't immediately fall out, but I wouldn't worry. You remove the rivet and it is just a 1/4in piece of the rivet head that is left which you've mostly drilled away already.​

Loosely install the fender flare. I did this by pulling the rivet until i felt a hair of tension. This makes it tight enough to hold, but not so tight that you can't move it. I put in all rivets of existing holes in. This allowed me to move it around a little to position it exactly where I want. They have quite a bit of play between the fender flare and the rivet size so I will see how this plays out when they get knocked around offroading. But on the fender flare the existing holes are all larger than the 3 new holes are which are a snug fit for the rivets. I think the 3 new holes will really help hold it in position.

Once fender flare is in position tighten the rivets down until the stem snaps off. For me most break with part of the shaft sticking out. I waited to trim these until I was done installing the 3 new holes and rivets.

Drill pilot hole w/ 1/8in drill bit in center of the 3 holes on the fender. Then chase it with a 1/4in drill bit making sure both times you are going in perpendicular to the surface. I have a bit of experience with this stuff and didn't use a center punch, if you are feeling nervous a center punch can be helpful to prevent drill bit walk. With soft plastic like this I just push into it hard and do full speed and don't get walking... I use a center punch with metal.

Trim the stems up to make them look nice. I used straight bladed cutters, but a knife or other such tools would all work fine.

A note about drilling with fender flare installed:
At first I thought of installing the fender flare with a couple sacrificial rivets to be removed and then drilling the holes. I don't think this is a good idea because there is nothing holding the fender and fender liner together to get those holes aligned. Also if the fender flare is installed you're not going to miss your mark. And lastly if the fender flare is tight against the fender, I do see any issue the fender bulging or something causing a fitment issue. I think there are many more fitment issue potentials drilling the holes w/o the fender flare installed.​

Front Fender liners
You'll need to turn your wheel a little to get access to the rear couple rivets.

Drill out and remove the 6 stock rivets (red arrows). The lower most one is left in place.

As I did with the rear I recommend loosely setting the fender flare in place with partial pull on rivets to get the alignment where you like and then tightening rivets until the stems snap off.
Drill the 3 new holes as required like with the rear, 1/8 drill bit for pilot and 1/4in chase. Be precise and don't round out the hole because that will make for a loose rivet fitment.

Repeat on both sides and your done. Here are some before and after pics to show coverage. I'm running 17x8.5 w/ 0 offset, or 4.75in backspace Method 701s for reference and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5-17 which have only about 1000 miles on them so far
Before:

After: Wheel is turned a little to the right (passenger) side here and not perfectly straight.

here is the splash up on the stock fenders. After I drive in some rain I’ll report if I see rooster tails or not and hopefully a reduce splash up. But the shape of the flare is thin so not much surface for dirt to stick to.

Update after some rain driving.
I don’t see the rooster tails coming off the front tires. There may still be some but is small enough that I’m not seeing them while driving. Clearly there is some water coming in front and over the flare on the front and some rear kick up onto the front fender. Rear flare looks like it is doing about the same, clearly an improvement with some kick up front and rear of the fender flare.

Are the 6x30 mm plastic rivets long enough for the added thickness of the extenders? I have a 2020 jl sport s with a 2.5 inch lift and 35 tires so I will probably have to removed the tires to have clearance to install?
Sponsored