Sponsored

Install XR fender flares

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What mud flaps do you have? They look like weathertech, but can't tell for sure. How do you like them? Thx!
Hi!

The fronts are Weathertechs. I have an AEV rear bumper and splash guards.

I like the Weathertechs because they look OEM and provide lots of protection. They're also very easy to remove (along with the AEV rear splash guards) when I wheel.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored

Hohertz

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ-7, '22 JLUR XR
Hi!

The fronts are Weathertechs. I have an AEV rear bumper and splash guards.

I like the Weathertechs because they look OEM and provide lots of protection. They're also very easy to remove (along with the AEV rear splash guards) when I wheel.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I was wondering if you can make the front weathertechs work with the XR fender flares or not. Looks like they do fit but I also have the upgraded mopar rock rails so would have to cut/modify them to make them work.

You mentioned they are easy to remove. Did you alter them with thumb bolts to make it easier? Specifically asking about the front weathertechs.

Thanks again! :rock:

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Thanks! I was wondering if you can make the front weathertechs work with the XR fender flares or not. Looks like they do fit but I also have the upgraded mopar rock rails so would have to cut/modify them to make them work.

You mentioned they are easy to remove. Did you alter them with thumb bolts to make it easier? Specifically asking about the front weathertechs.

Thanks again! :rock:
I 'sandwiched' the XR fender flare between the main fender and the Weathertech mud flap. Since you have the upgraded rock rails, you'll probably need to do some surgery for fitment.

Here's the link to the rivets I used--it should make it a little easier to remove the fender flares:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040CYWX0?psc=1ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I regret there are no aftermarket fenders looking like original but more wider....
There is one, I believe it is a canadian company, and they're something like $800.

These work surprisingly well. I'm not sure if someone makes a pocket fender, but that is the only thing I think would work better. A lot less mud/dirt is sprayed onto the doors and handles than I was expecting. I originally did it to see how it was since at that time it was $50ish bucks shipped and if I didn't like them it was a small amount of money invested. I'm very happy with them, I have knocked them against a tree and they did not break off, just scratched and maybe a little play which could be fixed with replacing the rivets (I have tons still).
I'm running a 8.5in wide wheel w/ 4.75 backspace and a 12.5wide tire.

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I already have a rivet gun for steel and aluminum rivets, I would think it would work for plastic rivets also, can anyone confirm this???

Sponsored

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I already have a rivet gun for steel and aluminum rivets, I would think it would work for plastic rivets also, can anyone confirm this???
Most likely not. While I can't say for sure if yours will or not, but it is different. The plastic rivet tool is $20, if that, on amazon. Plus it is super useful if you ever work on your jeep since fender liners are attached with plastic rivets and the one I posted doesn't require you to take a wheel off to use.

Since you need to get plastic rivets anyway, you can always buy them and see if your traditional rivet gun works or not. For me, my rivet gun is straight so I cannot even get it in the space to try. If you have an 90° head then it might work. The force to set the plastic rivets is minuscule compared to a metal one

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Most likely not. While I can't say for sure if yours will or not, but it is different. The plastic rivet tool is $20, if that, on amazon. Plus it is super useful if you ever work on your jeep since fender liners are attached with plastic rivets and the one I posted doesn't require you to take a wheel off to use.
Your right, my reg. rivet gun does NOT have an insert hole big enough to fit the plastic ones, I did order one from Amazon and made it through 3 fenders until it would not release a stem and when I took the top of the riveter off to release it the guts fell out, I cannot get it back together. :mad:

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Looks is in the eye of the beholder. Do they work? Is there less mud on the Jeep, or are they really just for the look?
Reduced, yes
Completely stop mud/dirt from getting on jeep, no

They work better than I expected them to. These definitely reduce the kick up that lands higher on the doors (windows and door handles), but it doesn't stop it all for my set up. They do help a lot and I'm keeping them. The primary offender of getting junk on your doors (for me) is the gap between the fender and the rockslider/step bar. If you have a mudflap there you would stop a lot of kick up.

Sponsored

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
Looks is in the eye of the beholder. Do they work? Is there less mud on the Jeep, or are they really just for the look?
I don't think anyone is putting these on for the look. Personally I think they look ridiculous. But, in PA you need to "know somebody" to get a vehicle to pass yearly inspection with tires sticking out an inch past the fenders. No cops have ever bothered me or anyone I know, I regularly see trucks with tires sticking 6" past the fenders, this seems to be the current fad. But if I try to get state inspection while I am in for the free Jeep Wave oil changes the service managers tell me no way they can pass it. What pisses me off is they almost always have 6+ used Jeeps sitting on their lot for sale with the same issue. Luckily I know someone, or I would have to find a friend to swap stock wheels with just for inspection or get these.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
who's that company you were referring to here when you reponded to
mjaza about
"aftermarket fenders looking like original but more wider...." ?

There is one, I believe it is a canadian company, and they're something like $800.

[snip]

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
who's that company you were referring to here when you reponded to
mjaza about
"aftermarket fenders looking like original but more wider...." ?
I don't remember. But right after the XR kit was announced and before you could get the fender extensions there was a canadian company selling a fender extension that was about an extra inch wider than Jeep's extensions and attached in the same way... but they were $600-$800 IIRC. Its so expensive I didn't pay much attention to it. I just remember British Columbia jeep groups discussing them. Just google and look for them, I don't remember who it was otherwise I would have said yada yada company makes one.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I don't remember. But right after the XR kit was announced and before you could get the fender extensions there was a canadian company selling a fender extension that was about an extra inch wider than Jeep's extensions and attached in the same way... but they were $600-$800 IIRC. Its so expensive I didn't pay much attention to it. I just remember British Columbia jeep groups discussing them. Just google and look for them, I don't remember who it was otherwise I would have said yada yada company makes one.
https://epic-4wd.com/en-us/collecti...an-rubicon-hi-top-2-extended-fender-flare-kit

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

These work surprisingly well. I'm not sure if someone makes a pocket fender, but that is the only thing I think would work better. A lot less mud/dirt is sprayed onto the doors and handles than I was expecting. I originally did it to see how it was since at that time it was $50ish bucks shipped and if I didn't like them it was a small amount of money invested. I'm very happy with them, I have knocked them against a tree and they did not break off, just scratched and maybe a little play which could be fixed with replacing the rivets (I have tons still).
I'm running a 8.5in wide wheel w/ 4.75 backspace and a 12.5wide tire.
That product is actually Australian (Double Black OffRoad), but the folks at Epic Adventure Outfitters are a licensed dealer for their products.
Its too steep a price for what it does. I ended up getting the XR flares from mopar parts and jimmy rigging them on my Sahara.

if you need wider flares, consider the EZ Flares XL version (I think they extend out 1.75"-2"). And instead of relying on their 3M sticky side, rivet them to fender just like you would do the XR flares.. they apparently hold up very well in colder climate belts. (Above 48th parallel maybe :D)
Sponsored