Install OEM 850w HD cooling fan into 3.6L JL/JT that didn't come with one

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I wrote this post for Gladiators over on the sister forum, but should apply to 3.6L JLs. I have no clue what e-torque is, 2.0L turbos....only follow my thread if you have the 3.6L the Gladiator has....the non e-torque 3.6L. If this works for other configurations....feel free to reply.

As always mod at your own risk. There are LARGE amperages involved here. You *MUST* ensure your fusing and the wires involved are rated for each other. Fuse protects the wire not the device.

PARTS:

MOPAR 850w Fan for JL and JT:
68272755AD
MOPAR 240a Alternator for JL and JT: 56029803AA
MOPAR Z Case Fuse Array for vehicles with 850w fan: 68368854AA

You can get the fan for a steal here, pulled off trucks doing V8 conversions:

https://www.rubitrux.com/mopar-68272755-radiator-fan-cooling-module-shroud.html

Don't put the fan on a 180a alternator. While it may work, I was thinking that's a huge difference....180a to 240a in the tow package or aux switch package. I was about to buy a 240a but then realized I had a 220a....from the 8.4 Premium Audio package. I installed the fan and it's working fine with the 220a. There is no BCM config or ECU tuning involved. This is all wires and fuses.

Some things to consider:

Z Case Fuse Array:

ALWAYS check your Z case fuse array on the PDC for 100a on Z5. ALWAYS disconnect and separate the battery grounds and fender grounds when checking this. You remove the PDC fusebox cover, remove all 6 cables, and gently lift the fuse array out. If you are uncomfortable doing this do not attempt this mod or ask someone to help you. If you have the 60a, you MUST replace this array with the 100a version. My 2021 had the 100a despite not having the tow package or aux switches. It's possible they all have it now but check anyway. If you have the 60a, you also need to make sure the wiring from Z5 to your fan is capable of 100a. Unknown if Jeep used a different harness here but if they did you need it. ALWAYS check for 300a on Z7. This will ensure you can handle all of the alternators available for the Gladiator. If you have something lower, you need to upgrade that harness too. I haven't seen anything but 300a here. Credit to ShadowsPapa for alerting me to check this. If your fuse array doesn't look like this, you MUST buy MOPAR part # 68368854AA and check your fan and alternator harnesses/cables :

Jeep Wrangler JL Install OEM 850w HD cooling fan into 3.6L JL/JT that didn't come with one 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Install OEM 850w HD cooling fan into 3.6L JL/JT that didn't come with one 2

Alternators:

MOPAR 56029597AB 180a
: comes with Gladiators missing all three of these: 8.4 Premium Audio, Aux Switches, Tow Package. Not good enough for the 850w fan....upgrade to the 240a.

MOPAR 56029765AA 220a: comes with Gladiators with 8.4 Premium Audio but missing Aux Switches and Tow Package. I am using this with the 850w fan right now. No issues yet. If there are I will upgrade to the 240a.

MOPAR 56029803AA 240a: comes with Gladiators with either the Tow Package, Aux Switches, or both. If you have the Tow Package you aren't reading this thread. You have the fan. All a factory Aux Switch truck needs is the fan and *possibly* the 100a Z5 fuse array.

The last character/letter in each part # often increments as revisions happen.

Cliffs:

1. Always check Z Case Fuse Array for 100a Z5 and 300a Z7. If lesser, upgrade fuse array and check wiring to fan and alt...upgrade if necessary.

2. If you have a 180a alt, upgrade to 240a. 220a, try it. 240a, good to go on alternator but for all 3 circle back to 1 above and check your Z Case Fuse Array for 100a Z5 and 300a Z7.

3. Did I mention to check your Z Case Fuse Array for 100a Z5 and 300a Z7, and if lower, check both your Z5 wiring to fan and Z7 wiring to alternator?

Directions:

Tools: 8mm and 10mm socket and some extensions. Trim tool for the top 4 push retainers that mount the cover to the fan shroud.

1. To be super safe, remove cables from main battery negative and separate them. Wrap with rags so they don't touch anything or each other. Remove body ground cables from fender. Wrap with rags so they don't touch anything or each other.

2. Remove two 10mm bolts on top of the radiator cover that secure the air intake tube.

3. Loosen the worm clamps at the air filter box and the throttle body. Pull air intake tube off at both ends and rotate 180 degrees, setting it aside by laying it on top of the PCM. You can leave the wiring and clips attached to it this way, you're just getting it out of the way.

4. Remove air filter box. One 10mm bolt on passenger fender. Then wiggle it upwards. The bottom is just squeezed in with rubber posts. Set it aside.

5. Remove the top plastic cover that hides the radiator and fan shroud. 4 plastic push pins. I pried the plastic up WITH the pin by putting the trim tool under the plastic trim, instead of under the push pin. Pop all 4 loose and out of the fan shroud, then slide the plastic backwards towards the engine and it will come out.

6. Disconnect the fan connector, passenger side top. Press the release tab down ( inwards ) and pull apart.

7. Remove two 8mm bolts that attach fan shroud to vehicle. They are near the top left and right sides. Red circles below.

8. Lift the fan assembly up and out. While doing so, on the left you need to very carefully nudge the A/C lines out of the molded in channel in the fan shroud. I didn't grab them right at the channel, I put my hand on them lower down, where they are braided. They seemed to move easier by manipulating them from there. If there is a lot of resistance, STOP. Don't break your A/C lines. Gentle. Gentle. Gentle. The channel is the green circle in the image below. You also need to bend the upper radiator hose on the right slightly outboard to clear the mounting tab there. Red circle on left of image below.

9. Install is reverse of removal. Make sure the tabs in the yellow circles of the image below slide into the "holders". Deal with the A/C lines carefully as you did on removal and get them back into the molded in channel.

10. Test for operation. My fan didn't turn on till about 160F coolant temp. Don't say "oh shit" when it doesn't spin on startup. Isn't supposed to.

Image below is the 600w fan. I didn't take a good pic of the 850w fan. The physical layout is the same:

Jeep Wrangler JL Install OEM 850w HD cooling fan into 3.6L JL/JT that didn't come with one 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Install OEM 850w HD cooling fan into 3.6L JL/JT that didn't come with one 4
Sponsored

Last edited:

FireAnt21

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited North Edition
Occupation
Lineman
Vehicle Showcase
Not planning on doing this but any info on if you have alternator delete?

MHKK

First Name
Mehdi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUS
Any updates? I’m planning to do the same…

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Here is what I discovered and what I am working on
This is how the cooling system works or not working
The thermostat opens at 190 degrees
The cooling fans comes on at 1/4 speed at 221 and will only go fulls speed at 231 degrees
I have been trying to get control of the cooling system by adding a pusher fan on the condenser put this is what I found
Most cars including the jeep JK the condenser is mounted 1/4 to 1/2 in. from the radiator
On the Jeep JL the condenser is about 1 1/2 in. away from the radiator
I can get the pusher fan to shoot air though the condenser at 150 MPH put as soon as it hit the radiator the air blows out the large gaps between the condenser and radiator and NO air going through the radiator
Next step was to close the caps between the condenser and radiator to force the air through the radiator
So now with the gaps closed off I have about 15% of the air going through the radiator and the rest of the air is blowing back though the condenser and trans cooler
Two things wrong here. The gap between the condenser is to large and the radiator WILL NOT allow free flowing air to pass through it whether you are pushing air at 150 mph with a fan or diving down the road at 60 /70 mph and that is why you see a 30 to 40 degree swing in the coolant temps. You would thing driving down the road you are getting air passing through the radiator put you are getting very little to none until the fan kicks in and sucking the air through the radiator
I ordered a Mishimoto radiator (back ordered) it looks to have a more open core that will allow more free flowing air to pass through
I will install the Mishimoto and see how it goes
And NO. The radiator is not plugged in any way inside or out side. The jeep did this from day one . New in 2020
The Engineers got this one wrong and they know it from what I have read
READ THIS
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

UPDATE
The Mishimoto radiator made no difference in lowering the temperature
Step 2
Just installed the Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER
This is a game changer . Here is how your fan will work with this device

Operation:

When the engine is running the PWM fan will run at a low Idle speed (15%).
When the module reads the engine temp it will command the fan to the desired %.

Fahrenheit

199 degrees = 30%

205 degrees = 50%

212 degrees = 75%

218+ degrees = 100%

Override inputs: These are optional inputs depending on if you ordered them.

These inputs will run the fan as long as the unit is powered up, the engine does not have to be running for these to work. You can use these in various ways.

Example:
When the ( VIOLET ) wire has 12 volts applied the fan will run at MAX speed.

I have only three days of testing put my temps now run 188 to 192 at idle all day long
Normal driving I see 192 to 195 and 199 to 205 under hard acceleration put comes down real fast
Also I notest my oil temps are about 20 degrees lower mainly becouse the the engine is running cooler and now I have constant air movement over the oil cooler
This weekend I will be testing on a long up hill drive put I suspect of 215
I will keep you updated

info
Jon Schaefer RpmExtreme
205-631-8225 6774 Old Hwy 31N
Rpmextreme.com Gardendale, AL 35071

UPDATE
Just got back from a 60 mile round trip with up and down hills
One hill is about a mile long and fairly steep
Max temps on uphill clime WITH PWM module
Coolant 203
oil temp 206
Trans temp 195

Going down hill after 2 minutes
coolant temps 185
Oil temps 188
Trans temps 188 to 190

freeway driving 70 MPH
coolant temps 188 to 192
oil temps 188 to 190
trans temps 190 ( Note / The trans cooler I believe has a 190 degree thermostat so you will always see about 190 )

BEFORE the PWM module I would see going uphill
Coolants temp rise to 221 fans kick in at bout 15% and then if the hill was a long one go to 231 before the fan kicked in at about 75% . I have seen temps as high as 234
Oil temps would get as high as 225
Trans temps would hit 206

The JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER is a keeper
Now I need to add one to my wife's stock Rubicon

Last edited:

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
UPDATE
Just got back from a 60 mile round trip with up and down hills
One hill is about a mile long and fairly steep
Max temps on uphill clime WITH PWM module
Coolant 203
oil temp 206
Trans temp 195

Going down hill after 2 minutes
coolant temps 185
Oil temps 188
Trans temps 188 to 190

freeway driving 70 MPH
coolant temps 188 to 192
oil temps 188 to 190
trans temps 190 ( Note / The trans cooler I believe has a 190 degree thermostat so you will always see about 190 )

BEFORE the PWM module I would see going uphill
Coolants temp rise to 221 fans kick in at bout 15% and then if the hill was a long one go to 231 before the fan kicked in at about 75% . I have seen temps as high as 234
Oil temps would get as high as 225
Trans temps would hit 206

The JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER is a keeper
Now I need to add one to my wife's stock Rubicon

Sponsored

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
UPDATE 9/15/23

Just got back from a trip to Lake Tahoe from the bay aria

Going up high way 80 from Auburn to Truckee at 65-70 mph the coolant topped out at 212 degrees / Trans 206 / oil 221

As soon as I hit the top of any hill the coolant temp would fall to 188 to 192 within 1 minute followed by the oil and trans temps

I also spent about 6 hours on the Rubicon trail and my coolant temp never went over 201
At 199 I could here the sweet sound of the fan kicking to its 30% speed

The last trip to Tahoe about a month ago my coolant temps would hit 221 on any little hill and hit 231 or higher on the larger hills. On the Rubicon trail it would constantly hit 221 and drop to 215 Up and down all day long

Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER has made a big difference in keeping air moving though the radiator and keeping my jeep running cooler

A PWM FAN CONTROLLER is nothing new. these are out there for other cars /trucks and motorcycles

Jon has programed these just for the jeep JK &JL

info
Jon Schaefer RpmExtreme

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
Did you notice the AC working any different after the RPM fan controller?

I live in deep south texas where we see 45+ days of 100+ degree weather. I want one of these controllers.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No.
It works like it should
Fan went to a higher speed when A/C turned on
Was all the Tahoe/Rubicon test results with the Mishi radiator and the OEM 600w fan?

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
UPDATE 9/15/23

Just got back from a trip to Lake Tahoe from the bay aria

Going up high way 80 from Auburn to Truckee at 65-70 mph the coolant topped out at 212 degrees / Trans 206 / oil 221

As soon as I hit the top of any hill the coolant temp would fall to 188 to 192 within 1 minute followed by the oil and trans temps

I also spent about 6 hours on the Rubicon trail and my coolant temp never went over 201
At 199 I could here the sweet sound of the fan kicking to its 30% speed

The last trip to Tahoe about a month ago my coolant temps would hit 221 on any little hill and hit 231 or higher on the larger hills. On the Rubicon trail it would constantly hit 221 and drop to 215 Up and down all day long

Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER has made a big difference in keeping air moving though the radiator and keeping my jeep running cooler

A PWM FAN CONTROLLER is nothing new. these are out there for other cars /trucks and motorcycles

Jon has programed these just for the jeep JK &JL

info
Jon Schaefer RpmExtreme
This is promising! I live in AZ and temps reach 120 in the summer and something like this would be awesome.

can you post some pictures or a short video of the install and how the part works?? I can’t find any videos about it

thanks 🙏

Sponsored

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Yes. PUT
The Mishimoto was the first thing I tried before the fan controller and I found that it made no difference in keeping down the temps
With extensive testing what I came to realize was that the radiator tight core in the factory and Mishimoto would not pass free flowing air. What I mean is when driving at 60 mph you are getting very little air flowing through the radiator. The radiator core just dose not have large enough openings in the core. Air will always seek the path of least resistance and its not through the core
The only way to get air through the radiator is to suck it through with a fan and the fan RPM Extreme controller achieves that put at a much lower temps
If I could do it again I would not had replaced the radiator
On another note. I don't remember if I posted this here
The Maserati 3.0 v6 is the same as the jeep 3.6 and they run at 195 to 200 degrees and us 4w40 oil

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes. PUT
The Mishimoto was the first thing I tried before the fan controller and I found that it made no difference in keeping down the temps
With extensive testing what I came to realize was that the radiator tight core in the factory and Mishimoto would not pass free flowing air. What I mean is when driving at 60 mph you are getting very little air flowing through the radiator. The radiator core just dose not have large enough openings in the core. Air will always seek the path of least resistance and its not through the core
The only way to get air through the radiator is to suck it through with a fan and the fan RPM Extreme controller achieves that put at a much lower temps
If I could do it again I would not had replaced the radiator
On another note. I don't remember if I posted this here
The Maserati 3.0 v6 is the same as the jeep 3.6 and they run at 195 to 200 degrees and us 4w40 oil

Larry,
I have a Mishimoto radiator, 850w fan, and JT grill mesh (as well as a steering pump cooler and boost kit). that is waiting for me to get up the energy to install it. So, I just wanted clarity on the configuration you tested. But given your results, it's my intent to go ahead with the install of the radiator and the Gladiator grill mesh as well as the 850w fan and fan controller mod. Your results make me think the 850w fan will also make a significant difference with the fan controller mod.

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
I ran the 600 watt at first and then switch to the 850 watt and there is a big difference in the amount of air it pulls
I now have a 940 watt put did not see much difference
I will be putting the 850 watt and fan controller on my wife's Rubicon soon

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I ran the 600 watt at first and then switch to the 850 watt and there is a big difference in the amount of air it pulls
I now have a 940 watt put did not see much difference
I will be putting the 850 watt and fan controller on my wife's Rubicon soon
So, what fan configuration were you running with the tests at Tahoe/Rub?
Sponsored