Sponsored

Install lift with transmission in neutral?

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Any throughs on park vs neutral for a DIY lift install? Why do the Mopar Instructions show neutral for an automatic?

D25D47A7-1DFC-47E9-BB73-A401DE0D2106.jpeg
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It will be easier to get the axle housing into position with the transmission in neutral. With the transmission in park, you may have to rotate the axles & differential, which could be impossible if the parking brake is set also.

Personally, I would just leave the transmission in park with the parking brake off.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It will be easier to get the axle housing into position with the transmission in neutral. With the transmission in park, you may have to rotate the axles & differential, which could be impossible if the parking brake is set also.

Personally, I would just leave the transmission in park with the parking brake off.
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the axle rotation to connect the new arms and links? Why would locking the wheels from rolling make it harder?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, but this part is not accurate. There should be no issues leaving it in park.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was thinking park is safer to prevent the Jeep from rolling. But, it also occurs to me that lifting one end, lets say the front, rolls the rear axle while the wheels are fixed. Not much, but maybe enough to use neutral to allow the motion without straining the axle or slipping the wheels.

So my current plan is to engage 4H, shift to neutral, jack up and support with jack stands, then shift to park. This should allow the each axles to get into position but also lock the wheels on both axels with the transmission before crawling under.
Sponsored