First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'm amazed that a shop would even have non synthetic oil. Synthetic blend, yes (as many manufacturers call for it, for example many Ford products). Where I work I actually needed conventional SAE 30 for a 1964 Beetle that a customer just bought. We had none. Had to order it from our supplier. Same for when I changed the oil in the compressors. They took SAE 30 non detergent oil. That took a day to get.

Also, if your car takes synthetic blend and you request synthetic or a certain brand oil, we could care less. You request it, you get it (unless your request is obviously wrong). We even have people that put in whatever magic juice along with the oil.

On a side note, the 2.0l Jeep has to be the easiest vehicle to change the oil in. Can do it on the ground, the drain plug and filter are next to each other. They looked at Honda and realized that sticking those two items close to each other, makes for a quicker oil change. My Ford V10 RV is similar.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
I'm amazed that a shop would even have non synthetic oil. Synthetic blend, yes (as many manufacturers call for it, for example many Ford products). Where I work I actually needed conventional SAE 30 for a 1964 Beetle that a customer just bought. We had none. Had to order it from our supplier. Same for when I changed the oil in the compressors. They took SAE 30 non detergent oil. That took a day to get.

Also, if your car takes synthetic blend and you request synthetic or a certain brand oil, we could care less. You request it, you get it (unless your request is obviously wrong). We even have people that put in whatever magic juice along with the oil.

On a side note, the 2.0l Jeep has to be the easiest vehicle to change the oil in. Can do it on the ground, the drain plug and filter are next to each other. They looked at Honda and realized that sticking those two items close to each other, makes for a quicker oil change. My Ford V10 RV is similar.
all ready to take that Jeep out into the snow today?..........sounds like you guys aren't going to get much up in Bethlehem, we're going to get even less.....

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
all ready to take that Jeep out into the snow today?..........sounds like you guys aren't going to get much up in Bethlehem, we're going to get even less.....
Nothing here. I guess this mild winter worked out for me as over Christmas I was in Killington, VT skiing and blew out my ACL. Thus, no more skiing until next season (I just had surgery 3 weeks ago). With the lack of snow in the area, I'm not missing out on much at all.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Did he check your brake drums?
On a Jeep it has drums on the rear. For example, I've adjusted mine twice and pulled the drums the second round to find Jeep decided to not install a few parts. Fixed that and readjusted. Now my RR drum works.

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing here. I guess this mild winter worked out for me as over Christmas I was in Killington, VT skiing and blew out my ACL. Thus, no more skiing until next season (I just had surgery 3 weeks ago). With the lack of snow in the area, I'm not missing out on much at all.
sorry to hear that, at least you won't have to worry about sholveling any. we just got our Jeep last summer, was looking forward to taking it out in the snow at least once this winter. so far, nothing even measureable (about 8 miles west of Coatesville, Pa)
have a great day, hope you're recovering well.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
now at least you're talking about an oil that meets the specs. (there are other reasons i would not use Pennzoil, but that's a different topic.)
notice it's not as cheap?

point being; we gotta' pay attention to this stuff. VM Motori is pretty picky about what they want us to run through these things, and FCA would be happy to find any excuse to deny a warranty claim if things were to go badly.
MS-12991 and SN are the magic codes.

Picture may be wrong but the price is right, Walmart sells 5 quart motor oil bottles that work for under $30. If you go to the 3.0 section of the forum there's a pinned topic about oil that works with the EcoDiesel.

Honestly I just grabbed the first picture I could find of European blend 5W40 from Walmart's website. I already bought my first two bottles of the correct stuff at Walmart a while back, was under $60 for both bottles. I believe I got them for $25 each.

Screenshot_20230314-043356.png

This is the one I actually bought, though not that price.

I believe @Casey250 had a video about it. But I could be wrong. All I know is if you shop around, you can find sales that make it worthwhile to change your own oil.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
sorry to hear that, at least you won't have to worry about sholveling any. we just got our Jeep last summer, was looking forward to taking it out in the snow at least once this winter. so far, nothing even measureable (about 8 miles west of Coatesville, Pa)
have a great day, hope you're recovering well.
We got ours almost 2 years ago to tow behind the RV. It's been all over the country. Plus, it's first trip was to Moab and we were the oddballs that were running on trails with a bone stock Jeep. I don't think I ever seen another stock Jeep out there.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
notice it's not as cheap?

...FCA would be happy to find any excuse to deny a warranty claim if things were to go badly.
MS-12991 and SN are the magic codes.
Like I said I got it on sale at Walmart for about $25 for 5 quarts. If you shop around you can find really good deals on EcoDiesel worthy oils.

Clearly you don't know me very well, lol. I've already done FCA the favor voiding a bunch of my warranties already. This summer I'll be avoiding any warranties I have left and also my ability to have free recall fixes.

Do you or anyone else have any idea if EGR and exhaust system is the reason why it needs such specific oil?

I wonder after I complete my process this summer and it's no longer dumping soot into my engine, if I couldn't get away with a lot less special motor oils??

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Name one in the past 10 years--this is an old wives tale that refuses to die. None of the JL engines come with conventional oil, they all come with synthetic. At this point in time even conventional oils are more synthetic than not.

Every oil viscosity that starts with "0" is synthetic, every European car on the market comes with synthetic, every turbocharged car on the market comes with synthetic, all of the major performance cars come with synthetic, and none of them have issues with break-in.
NOT all cars require Syn.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
NOT all cars require Syn.
Which cars today don't come with either a synthetic blend or a full synthetic from the factory? In addition, why would anyone even use a conventional oil instead of a synthetic?

There are ZERO things a conventional oil can do better than a synthetic and more and more conventional oils are disappearing from the shelf. The last time I checked Mobil and Pennzoil (as examples) no longer make a conventional oil, they are all synthetic blends and full synthetic.

Others may still make them, but they are typically in viscosities which are not used in modern engines such as 10W-xx and 20W-xx.

Why? Because as the API specifications increase from SN to SN+ to SP many conventional oils cannot meet the requirements and oil manufacturers drop them in favor of synthetic blends and full synthetic oils. Manufacturers also find it more economical to streamline their operations by removing oils which are no longer in demand.

Conventional motor oils are going the way of the dinosaur...

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
agreed, we don't know each other well, but i am aware of your professed penchant for Deconstruction.

that said, i don't see the point in trying to save a few bucks by risking anything related to the powertrain and the vehicles ability to get itself around, since after all that is its primary purpose. having seen a difference in the way different oils perform in some extreme situations, oil (especially in a Turbo diesel) isn't the place i'll chintz out.

would be a good question for VM Motori as to what makes their oil specifications so odd. but considering the original target for the EcoDiesel was a European Cadillac, they probably didn't spec it because it was inexpensive.

Like I said I got it on sale at Walmart for about $25 for 5 quarts. If you shop around you can find really good deals on EcoDiesel worthy oils.

Clearly you don't know me very well, lol. I've already done FCA the favor voiding a bunch of my warranties already. This summer I'll be avoiding any warranties I have left and also my ability to have free recall fixes.

Do you or anyone else have any idea if EGR and exhaust system is the reason why it needs such specific oil?

I wonder after I complete my process this summer and it's no longer dumping soot into my engine, if I couldn't get away with a lot less special motor oils??
Sponsored