Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
We bought our 2022 Willys last summer. There's a small garage about a block from where I work. I've been taking my vehicles there for inspection and oil changes for the past few years because it's handy (wouldn't go there for anything other than that though). I've always run synthetic oil in all my vehicles for the past 20 years or so. The Will;ys is a 2.0 turbo, and the first time I took it to him for an oil change, he told me that they come from the factory with "standard" (not synthetic) oil, and that he recomended putting non-synthetic in when he changed it. Should I insist that he put synthetic in in next time we have it changed?
thanks
Many new vehicles come with a "standard" instead of a Syn. WHY? Break in. The Syn has more lubricity vs the standard break in oil that some vehicles come with.

At your first oil change, you make the jump to Syn.

If money is no object I recommend Shell T6 or you could step down to T5 That said if you are NOT towing, off-roading or stressing you engine much the most Syn will meet you needs just ensure they meet the spec.

Oil: Oil never wears out! What does wear out? The additives, they wear out and that is the basis for changing oil.

Don't fall into the trap of changing oil more often then the book says or the dashboard. So changing oil every 3k miles is throwing a lot of money away. Also show a lack of understanding what oil actually does. Back in the 50s/60s SOP was change oil evey 3k mi. WHY? The lack of sophtiscated additives we have today. In addition engines were built just not built to spec.

There sits a box of pistions, box of cranks, stack of engine blocks and you grabbed one of each and shoved into the engine block, bolted it down and shouted NEXT...

It was NOT rare to drive off the lot and be buring oil. What was the accepted standard oil consumption rate in a 60s engine? 1000 mi per quart.

For that reason a lot of folks did not change oil, they added a quart every 1000 miles or when ever you were a quart low, which could be every 500 mi or even less.

Today we have better additives and engines are built to specs which provides closer tolerances and thus less piston blow-by which is where the oil is burned.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I don't know what world you're living in, but on my EcoDiesel the dealership oil change is about $200 in my area. I can do it myself for $80. If I change my oil twice a year I just saved $240. If I have the my Wrangler for 300,000 miles, and minus the first three free oil changes, I plan on doing oil changes every 7,000 mi. That's 39 oil changes over the life of the engine. In that instance I will save $4,782 if I do it myself. Total cost to do my own oil changes 39 times would be $3,120. Versus the dealership who would charge me $7,800. So yeah not going to save a crap ton of money there. :LOL:

To apply the same idea to a 2.0 Turbo, we'll just say synthetic oil and 7,000 mi oil change interval over 300,000 mi of engine life, also minus the first three free oil changes. I was able to find six quarts of Pennzoil full synthetic on Amazon plus the black Mopar 2.0 Turbo oil filter for $46. Free shipping if you're a prime member.

So, 39 oil changes, do it yourself for $1,794. Versus the dealership (who seems to have the low end around $130 according to Google) for $5,070. So over the life of your engine you will save $3,276. That's a 4-in lift kit for your Wrangler!
I mean, if we're going to base price comparisons off stealership rates, then yeah. Also if you're paying $200 for an oil change, you're already getting hosed.

I don't mind changing my own oil. Quite enjoy it actually. I do mind the pain in the rear disposal process though.
Disposal is the easiest part - any AutoZone or O'Reilly will have a disposal tank. Walk in, drop it off, job done. Nowadays they won't even let you pour it in yourself, so it's even easier.

OP
OP
Jiggs1960

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
Many new vehicles come with a "standard" instead of a Syn. WHY? Break in. The Syn has more lubricity vs the standard break in oil that some vehicles come with.

At your first oil change, you make the jump to Syn.

If money is no object I recommend Shell T6 or you could step down to T5 That said if you are NOT towing, off-roading or stressing you engine much the most Syn will meet you needs just ensure they meet the spec.

Oil: Oil never wears out! What does wear out? The additives, they wear out and that is the basis for changing oil.

Don't fall into the trap of changing oil more often then the book says or the dashboard. So changing oil every 3k miles is throwing a lot of money away. Also show a lack of understanding what oil actually does. Back in the 50s/60s SOP was change oil evey 3k mi. WHY? The lack of sophtiscated additives we have today. In addition engines were built just not built to spec.

There sits a box of pistions, box of cranks, stack of engine blocks and you grabbed one of each and shoved into the engine block, bolted it down and shouted NEXT...

It was NOT rare to drive off the lot and be buring oil. What was the accepted standard oil consumption rate in a 60s engine? 1000 mi per quart.

For that reason a lot of folks did not change oil, they added a quart every 1000 miles or when ever you were a quart low, which could be every 500 mi or even less.

Today we have better additives and engines are built to specs which provides closer tolerances and thus less piston blow-by which is where the oil is burned.
thanks, very well put.

Sponsored

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Yeah, the older I get, the more I'm willing to pay for someone else to hassle with it.

HOWEVER

If you're spending a whole weekend changing your oil, you're absolutely doing it wrong. Hell, if you're spending more than half an hour, I'd say you're doing it wrong.
You’ve obviously never owned a 2018 Chevy Equinox like my wife…. I want to total that thing and collect the insurance money and get something easier to work on.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Also if you're paying $200 for an oil change, you're already getting hosed.
I agree, that's why I change my own oil. :LOL:;)

Damn dealerships, bunch of thieves! :angry:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
when you’re talking about your diesel that needs 9qts of synthetic that meets MS-12991 and a filter that isn’t cheap, $200 for an oil change isn’t one of their bigger crimes.

I agree, that's why I change my own oil. :LOL:;)

Damn dealerships, bunch of thieves! :angry:

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
when you’re talking about your diesel that needs 9qts of synthetic that meets MS-12991 and a filter that isn’t cheap, $200 for an oil change isn’t one of their bigger crimes.
It really is though...
Jeep Wrangler JL Insist on synthetic oil? Screenshot_20230313-183103
Jeep Wrangler JL Insist on synthetic oil? Screenshot_20230313-183150

When I can get all the materials for under $80 and it takes about 30 minutes to do an oil change.

Even more so when you realize that the second gen EcoDiesel oil filters (The ones that had the separate cap and filter) and the third gen EcoDiesel oil filters, are both backwards and forwards compatible. So they went from a oil filter cap that came with the vehicle and a $6 filter. And made it all one piece, and decided to charge people $80 if you buy the OEM one from the dealership. That's a crime if I ever heard one!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
except that oil doesn’t meet the specs.

go through Mobil 1s ‘oil finder’, and even they don’t have a single motor oil they recommend for our diesels.

It really is though...

When I can get all the materials for under $80 and it takes about 30 minutes to do an oil change.

Even more so when you realize that the second gen EcoDiesel oil filters (The ones that had the separate cap and filter) and the third gen EcoDiesel oil filters, are both backwards and forwards compatible. So they went from a oil filter cap that came with the vehicle and a $6 filter. And made it all one piece, and decided to charge people $80 if you buy the OEM one from the dealership. That's a crime if I ever heard one!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Name one in the past 10 years--this is an old wives tale that refuses to die. None of the JL engines come with conventional oil, they all come with synthetic. At this point in time even conventional oils are more synthetic than not.

Every oil viscosity that starts with "0" is synthetic, every European car on the market comes with synthetic, every turbocharged car on the market comes with synthetic, all of the major performance cars come with synthetic, and none of them have issues with break-in.

Last edited:

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
So your mechanic just proved he either can't speak the truth or is just a retard. Do you really want this person working on your vehical?

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
except that oil doesn’t meet the specs.

go through Mobil 1s ‘oil finder’, and even they don’t have a single motor oil they recommend for our diesels.
Picture may be wrong but the price is right, Walmart sells 5 quart motor oil bottles that work for under $30. If you go to the 3.0 section of the forum there's a pinned topic about oil that works with the EcoDiesel.

Honestly I just grabbed the first picture I could find of European blend 5W40 from Walmart's website. I already bought my first two bottles of the correct stuff at Walmart a while back, was under $60 for both bottles. I believe I got them for $25 each.

Jeep Wrangler JL Insist on synthetic oil? Screenshot_20230314-043356

This is the one I actually bought, though not that price.

I believe @Casey250 had a video about it. But I could be wrong. All I know is if you shop around, you can find sales that make it worthwhile to change your own oil.
Sponsored

Last edited: