Sponsored

Insight Needed - Clunk when shifting, esp into reverse (video)

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all - I need some insight from current Jeep owners whether the clunk sound I hear when shifting is normal, especially when shifting into reverse. I have just under 1,600 miles. I had the top and doors off this morning, checking a different issue, and it was loud... video attached
Sponsored

Attachments

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Hmmm. All I can tell you, is mine doesnā€™t do that. I have 3.6 auto no e-torque.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Mine does that but only at ā€œcold startsā€ when shifting into R. There are other forums but @JeepCares has not responded yet.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does that but only at ā€œcold startsā€ when shifting into R. There are other forums but @JeepCares has not responded yet.
Yes, mine does this too (sporadically). I also have the 3.6 with auto.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi all - I need some insight from current Jeep owners whether the clunk sound I hear when shifting is normal, especially when shifting into reverse. I have just under 1,600 miles. I had the top and doors off this morning, checking a different issue, and it was loud... video attached
Yes, mine does this too (sporadically). I also have the 3.6 with auto.
Hello everyone, thank you for sharing the concerns you are having with your vehicles. We recommend visiting your dealer for a proper diagnosis of this noise your are experiencing. Please know that our team is always available via private message for additional support during your servicing visit - we are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Yes, Iā€™m not a 16yo new driver, thank you.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Being "old and having a cold clunk" is normal (even though I'm not really certain what we're referencing here ;))

The loud mechanical clunk we're talking about in this thread should not be considered normal.

katacom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
We have a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited with just over 2000 miles on it. It started the clunking when putting into reverse, then would clunk and sort of jerk when coming to a stop. We called the service dept. They said they get many calls about this and unless the check engine light comes on, just drive it. Well, the check engine light came on today and we drove it to the service dept. The code showed that it is stuck in 3rd gear. We have a loaner from them and we'll see what they find out the actual problem is.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Mine does this and pretty much every other JL I drove does this as well at one point or another. 'Apparently' this is normal. The clunk is magnified when you shift on an incline. You can however, somewhat mitigate this issue, by pausing at neutral first, before shifting.

If your JL doesn't do this, it's a unicorn and I'd be very interested to find out why. And possibly even test drive it - because I'm sure I can recreate that clunk one way or another.
Sponsored

Last edited: