Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Maybe it's my location, or that my Rubicon has almost no options, but Carvana offering $39k, with just under 11k miles. Basically what I paid, so I'm definitely not tempted to sell.
Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
The market is beyond crazy. A local dealer has a used 2020 Rubicon for $63,999.

The sticker on this Wrangler was $59,150.

Doing a check it shows the title is branded as a LEMON. Paying above MSRP for a lemon?

Personally I think vehicles classified as lemons and bought back should be disassembled and recycled, not sold so the next buyer can go through the same scenario.

But maybe the manufacture fixes whatever gremlins it previously had and it's now better than new? :LOL:

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered my rubicon because the closest used rubicon with the options I wanted was a ‘20 and only $3k cheaper than building a new one. Also it had 25k miles on it.

Used market is crazy.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Sold my 2018 JLU loaded Sahara to CarMax two weeks ago, got a great deal. Got $9K more than I owed, only 8K less than I paid. It had 36,720 miles on it. Sold it about a week and a half before my JTR diesel arrived. I’m happy. It’s like I paid $2600/year to rent the JL, like $220/month. I had a higher offer from Vroom, but their process was super shady and lengthy. They FedEx’d my offer package to me and sent me an email two hours after I received it saying it expired. I don’t deal with companies like that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yes, the used market is on fire. We just sold our Sahara to Vroom for almost $4k over what we paid. Just ordered a new Wrangler (Gecko!) at 8% under invoice. Almost no reason not to do it - we'll miss the Bikini color but for basically driving the Jeep for free for a year, totally worth it to us to swap to another color.
I am doing the same. Waiting to order a 2022 whenever the order banks open.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Sold my wife's 2019 cherokee for about the same as we paid for it. A lot of used cars are crazy right now, but wranglers are definitely the craziest.

It seems like the whole "lose half its value the moment it drives off the lot" common wisdom has led to a group of people who pathologically shop used or something?

Like I realize that stock is low, but you do have some options besides buying a used car at above its original sticker. I refuse to believe there is a subset of people who needs a car right now and also needs to get this 54k used rubicon.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Yep. Yesterday I bought a 2019 2D Rubicon with 3.9k miles on it. Was driven for 7 months in North Carolina before being repossessed. Got it all checked out, independent mechanic, Carfax etc. No previous incidents or problems. Basically brand new. Has the Y07 recall on it, but understand the update is coming soon. KBB is 39-42k, I paid 45k at CarMax. I figure it was actually a good deal, considering how difficult it is to find a 2D around here, but I'd be interested to know what others think. I'm new to Jeeps, this is my first, and I'm psyched!
I have a 2dr Rubicon! It’s just soooo cool to own and drive a real Jeep Jeep!

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Did the devil start this forum, tempting me to sell my 2019 JLU and order a 2022, 392?
Along with buying a 392, would also go, a divorce too!

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler islander
I also look at used jeeps the way I look at used sports cars.. just buy the new one lol

Sponsored

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
Yep, it's crazy. Some of the listings for Carvana, will recreate the original window sticker, and they are selling a lot of their new jeeps for over original selling price. Nuts.

Tells me it's an unprecedented market bubble, or inflation is here for real. We will see if 2022 manufacturers start significantly increasing car pricing. If so, it will be the first time ever that a new car is a good investment from a short term perspective! HA!

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
it’s not a bad idea. Sold mine to Vroom for more than I paid, and it’s now listed on their website for more than it’s MSRP!

while the base price of new wranglers has gone up over time, seems a smart idea if you can sell what you have for more than you paid, and get a new one with new warranty for 7-8% below invoice still

whole thread on this here …

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-resale-values-are-insane.71088/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/carvana-or-vroom.71119/
good luck getting it that much below invoice in 95% of places

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR , 2017 Ram 2500, 1990 YJ
Used market is INSANE. I'm at a dealer and luckily we have a conscious about it. All of our used cars are priced BELOW current book, and we won't raise them up to book. If we did it would be an awkward conversation in 3 years when that person wants to trade that used car in and they're $4K+ upside down because the market levelled out.

Both my truck and Jeep book for more than what I paid for them, but won't get rid of either. Great time to sell or trade if you want to upgrade, bad time to buy used.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
good luck getting it that much below invoice in 95% of places
its not too hard to get affiliate pricing at 1% under invoice, and a handful of dealers are still doing good deals - that’s why I posted that link - it’s all in there. On ordered units.