Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Matt never discusses cost. There have been videos when Matt didn’t charge the customer once he found out he was a member of the military or a veteran.

Apparently, the kid’s employer made him figure out how to get to the service tower. He used Google Maps and got himself in a bind.

The kid looks worried throughout the entire video. Who knows if his employer will accept responsibility and pay for the recovery, or even let him keep his job...!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Matt and his crew really go all out with their recoveries.

Well done!

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
How much was the bill?
AAA cover it? Too soon?
At least in Nevada, AAA WILL NOT respond to calls that are off pavement. Very few paved roads in Nevada...where I live, if I leave my driveway and head south it is 133 miles to the first pavement. Wife and I both had AAA coverage but dropped it when we found they had the pavement only exclusion in their fine print. Here's a screen shot of a post from an upset AAA member:
Jeep Wrangler JL Insane Jeep recovery on Suicide Road AAA off road

I suspect that the business with Matt's Towing in Hurricane Utah has to do with the same problem...people who have AAA coverage thinking they will help if they get stuck, then finding out that only applies to good hard-surfaced roads.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
He used Google Maps and got himself in a bind.
A couple of months ago we were northwest of Moab doing dispersed camping. In the middle of the night it rained so we were looking for a shorter way out the next day. I use GAIA maps and it showed a network of roads leading to an RV area and better roads so we went that direction, only to find that those roads were an official ATV trail and very steep and narrow. We got partway down and decided we didn't want to risk the steepest narrow section. Fortunately we were able to climb back up, even with everything wet. It helped having better daylight and being able to study the situation before we drove up.

Sponsored

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
At least in Nevada, AAA WILL NOT respond to calls that are off pavement. Very few paved roads in Nevada...where I live, if I leave my driveway and head south it is 133 miles to the first pavement. Wife and I both had AAA coverage but dropped it when we found they had the pavement only exclusion in their fine print. Here's a screen shot of a post from an upset AAA member:
Jeep Wrangler JL Insane Jeep recovery on Suicide Road AAA off road

I suspect that the business with Matt's Towing in Hurricane Utah has to do with the same problem...people who have AAA coverage thinking they will help if they get stuck, then finding out that only applies to good hard-surfaced roads.
I'm gonna assume he was referring to Matt having people sign up for AAA after a recovery if they couldn't pay, falsify dates on paperwork, then submit claims. Articles I read had it in the $15,000 range of fraud which probably is about 15-25 claims if I had to guess. Not the majority of his work but not a great look. I'm still on the side of he's a solid dude that helps where he can

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Crap, talking about the "pucker factor". I would bet you couldn't have drove a flax seed up that drivers butt with a sledge hammer. :)

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Getting onto an ATV trail by mistake is no fun.

A couple years ago I went to an organized trash haul-out event at a local mountain popular with off-roaders. After the lunch break a guy in his YJ led a group of 4 other Jeeps, myself included, down a nearby trail for some fun wheeling.

The trail started off the main logging road. It looked a bit narrow, but having recently relocated to this area I wasn’t going to second guess the leader. We were in a densely forested area, as is typical of the PNW, and it was raining steadily.

The trail continued narrowing and growing in difficult as we went along.

About an hour and a half into it, between the trees, the narrowness, the steepness of the trail and the mud we are struggling to advance. At one point we have to cross this very slanted clearing with a sharp left turn at the other end; it is almost impossible to do it without slamming sideways into the trees below. After another 45 minutes we all get through it with varying degrees of damage.

Every time we made it through a difficult obstacle, another big one would appear ahead. Turning around was impossible; going forward was becoming nearly impossible.

People are starting to despair.

Finally the leader admits what we all have been fearing: that this is not the trail we are supposed to be on; he doesn’t know where we are; we are lost.

After the next clearing the trail continues getting narrower. We struggle forward for another hour or so.

He decides to get on the radio. After several failed attempts he is finally able to radio in to the main group to send a search party.

About thirty minutes later, we hear the rescue group approaching from ahead. We finally connect. They lead us out of the dense forest back to the main logging road.

After hours of becoming stuck, struggling and getting lost, we thought we were deep in the middle of the forest. Turns out we were 50 yards from the main logging road and couldn’t even see it!

From that day forward I am very careful to make sure I’m not entering an ATV trail. ATV trails can look deceptively like Jeep trails, but conditions deteriorate gradually until you are unable to turn around or proceed forward. That’s what appears to be what happened to the fellow on this video.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm gonna assume he was referring to Matt having people sign up for AAA after a recovery if they couldn't pay, falsify dates on paperwork, then submit claims. Articles I read had it in the $15,000 range of fraud which probably is about 15-25 claims if I had to guess. Not the majority of his work but not a great look.

I'm still on the side of he's a solid dude that helps where he can
That's odd if Matt was advising folks to act in such a manner.

There's any number of websites that pegs his net worth in the seven figures (example), with his channel alone generating five figure numbers each month. Why play reindeer games with insurance that could put such income streams in jeopardy, or at the very least, give your public rep a black eye? Not everyone is equally forgiving.

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
That's odd if Matt was advising folks to act in such a manner.

There's any number of websites that pegs his net worth in the seven figures (example), with his channel alone generating five figure numbers each month. Why play reindeer games with insurance that could put such income streams in jeopardy, or at the very least, give your public rep a black eye? Not everyone is equally forgiving.
Yeah I figure his Youtube is at least $75k a month if not more plus his business. Beats me, I would assume he could write off the losses of people not paying but maybe Utah won't let him do that without first sending it to collections or local court jacking up their credit, fees for him idk. So instead of him going after people he does this?

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't this alleged to have occurred before his YouTube took off?

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting the rabbit holes people on online forums find worth getting into.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I almost had this happen to me, In Colorado. I was in my Dodge 4x4 2500 Diesel, and was going over a pass, then the rocks that made up the road turned to jagged knives, I was at a very steep incline, and there was only bout 8 inches of trail on either side. Oh, and several hundred foot drop. I had to back out, with a spotter, for about 60 yards, until I found a turnaround. Not fun, not fun at all. I spoke with locals, and they said it was a popular road, "For Jeeps". That's when I decided I was doing my 4wheeling in a Wranger, and went out to bUy one, shortly after. I still have the truck, for truck things.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I almost had this happen to me, In Colorado. I was in my Dodge 4x4 2500 Diesel, and was going over a pass, then the rocks that made up the road turned to jagged knives, I was at a very steep incline, and there was only bout 8 inches of trail on either side.
We did that many years ago in a rental Wrangler. We were looking for a specific mine north of Silverton, we missed the turnoff and ended up going up the side of one of the red mountains (named something like "Red Mountain #2"). It was narrow and steep, very narrow, and the surface was round smooth rocks like golf balls or tennis balls. We finally found a spot where we could turn around and go back down. Driving on round smooth rocks I eased down as slowly as I could, if we had gotten up any speed we could not have stopped. The trail was narrow enough that I don't think we could have stopped and gotten out of the vehicle.