Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
That was pretty sketchy.

I wonder if the base Wrangler has the Brake Lock Differential feature. That would have helped some.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Interesting to watch, even if the polished production dilutes the "insane" recovery effort...which only begins at 11:00 or so. Gotta drive those clicks first! ;)

Yes, that trim level includes the Brake Lock Differential feature.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
They occasionally get some really tough ones. Two videos near the radio towers stand out as pretty sketchy. It was hard to understand how the red Jeep got off the road, unless it was so narrow that they couldn't help it. There were spots on those hills that were clearly steeper than they looked. Those guys have more fun at work than I do, and their videos are usually entertaining.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
That was pretty sketchy.

I wonder if the base Wrangler has the Brake Lock Differential feature. That would have helped some.
I have a base and yes, they do have bld, I've used it once so far at it works really well, I was watching this video before work this morning and wishing I was there to tell them to put in 4lo and watch it crawl up that hill, well I'd like to think that it could.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
My 17 year old son has a done up 1999 XJ and loves watching these guys do recoveries. I've watched a couple with him and they are pretty entertaining.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Man Oh Man!! wow thanks for posting, that was pretty great. I love those guys they are pretty cool!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That was pretty sketchy.

They all have BLD. And thats my experience with BLD. Doesnt do much.

On top of that he had street tires. He wasnt gonna make it. And he didnt. Even with lockers it wouldve been rough.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
That’s about 30 mins north of where I used to live. Lots of extremely narrow trails in those foothills.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Haha, just got finished watching this video before I saw your post. Great video. The off camber with a long ways down are always the ones that make you feel the worst.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Matt tries to cheer up the poor kid, but he looks traumatized throughout the entire video.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I like watching Matts Off Road recovery. With that said, I often scratch my head at some of the thing he does. I often just write it off as he did that way to make the video more entertaining to watch and better for the viewer. After all a little adversity makes for a better show.

For instance is this recovery, why did they not air down the tires on the stuck Jeep. If they would have, the red Jeep probably would have drove up and off the trail with out needing to be towed up the hill.

Last edited:

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD; '19 E450 Wagon; '21 R1250RS
Build Thread
Link
I like watching Matts Off Road recovery. With that said, I often scratch my head at some of the thing he does. I often just write it off as he did that way to make the video more entertaining to watch and better the viewer. After all a little adversity makes for a better show.

For instance is this recovery, why did they not air down the tires on the stuck Jeep. If they would have, the red Jeep probably would have drove up and off the trail with out needing to be towed up the hill.

+1
I've been watching MOR for a while now. It's entertaining. I hope the recent charges of insurance fraud are not correct, I like Matt and the crew. i even got a "So, we got this call" window sticker.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I have a base and yes, they do have bld, I've used it once so far at it works really well, I was watching this video before work this morning and wishing I was there to tell them to put in 4lo and watch it crawl up that hill, well I'd like to think that it could.
It did not appear that the Jeep had AT or MS tires just road tires...so that did not help the situation.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I like watching Matts Off Road recovery. With that said, I often scratch my head at some of the thing he does. I often just write it off as he did that way to make the video more entertaining to watch and better the viewer. After all a little adversity makes for a better show.

Matt explained this in a video awhile back: it has to do with liability. He needs to recover these vehicles in “stock” condition, in case any damage were to occur to the vehicle.

For instance, he pulled a BMW 5-Series sedan out of the sand once; he explained that airing down would cause the vehicle to lose ground clearance and increase the chances of damaging something. If the vehicle got any damage, the customer’s insurance would latch onto the fact that he aired down to refuse to pay out.

Liability is also the reason he never lets the owner steer while the vehicle is being recovered. Matt has to put someone of his own staff to steer while the vehicle is being pulled, no matter how easy the job. Matt will only let the owner back in the driver seat after he removed his ropes.
Sponsored

Last edited: