Sponsored

Inline 6 to debut in the next Trackhawk?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
https://www.thedrive.com/news/41438/new-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-wont-have-hellcat-v8-report

The brand will likely go for more plug-in hybrids, and Mopar Insiders speculates a PHEV drivetrain might be bolted to a future Trackhawk. That would mean a powerful gasoline engine—likely six cylinders and turbocharged—working in concert with one or more electric motors powering the front and or rear axles.
Reading between the lines, that could be the new I-6, or perhaps something already in the Stellantis inventory.

However if you click through to the cited article, it very much implies the I-6.

The cited article also mentions coming PHEV versions of the GW and Wagoneer.

Would it be best to make a big splash to debut the new engine with the performance topping Trackhawk, or the brand topping Wagoneers?
Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
No surprise here. Their marketing is short sighted with practically every vehicle in their fleet available with the big V8. Most recently the Wrangler. One would have to think this wasn't going to last.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
It’s been in the works for years, there is a reason they threw 6.4s in every model, the last big hoorah. I for one am stoked to see another inline 6 enter the market, twin turbo’d even better.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Could be a Pentastar V6, which was developed with forced induction capability from the beginning.

Sponsored

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler

Well in 2024 1st EV Muscle Car. Looks like a 69 Charger spinning all 4 wheels! You know it's going to be fast! I so hope it looks like the Hellaphant Charger Graveyard did.
Screenshot_20210708-114602_Google.jpg

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
That'd be cool. When I was searching on the new inline six, most of the articles were from 2019. There was rumor of it replacing a number of engines with capabilities via tunes to replace both V8 and V6 motors in a number of vehicles. Supposedly, it's based on the current 2.0, just adding a couple more cylinders essentially. It was going to be released first in the Grand Wagoneer but I don't think that is happening. I'd love to see it released as some badass turbo charged version in the Grand. If they put the right tune on it for the Wrangler that provides good HP/Torque numbers while improving gas mileage they could remove a number of engine options and simplify the line (that is if they have any interest in doing that). Finally, yes, the Pentastar has been around a while and I think it needs to be retired. It was much better than the JK 3,8 minivan engine but its days are over. Move on Jeep to something better.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If Stellantis tames those flares a bit, and especially that overbaked wheel/tire size combo, they'll have something good.

Possibly ditch that appurtenance under the fog lights, or at least make it easily removable. I grant that it may serve a practical purpose.

Offer a hood sans that massive air intake (and please make it functional on those hoods that do have the scoop in situ.)

Determine if TnT Express will be one of the factory color options.

Get in line now for the Pixel Decal "01"/Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia custom decal package.

The roll bar is a nice touch, although I doubt we'd see it in the production version.

The Challenger has had it's turn. This is the one that people want.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Could be a Pentastar V6, which was developed with forced induction capability from the beginning.
If this is to be believed:

The development of an entirely new six-cylinder application was said to have been kicked off after direct-injection tests on the Pentastar V6 proved disappointing. Chrysler engineers decided an entirely new six-cylinder engine would need to be developed.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/future-straight-six-engine-is-big-ram-and-jeep-news/

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
When I was searching on the new inline six, most of the articles were from 2019.
Yeah, there's been more smoke in the past few weeks, although most articles seem to be working off of a Mopar Insiders article.

Supposedly, it's based on the current 2.0, just adding a couple more cylinders essentially.
Allegedly it'll be tighter cylinder spacing, without cylinder liners, along with other modifications to jeep the length manageable. Supposedly it would be only 3" longer than the 2.4l Tigershark engine.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
An inline 6 may require significant modifications to the platform in order to accept a longer engine. Admittedly, I don’t know the dimensions on the proposed new inline 6. They are however typically longer than V8s.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
An inline 6 may require significant modifications to the platform in order to accept a longer engine. Admittedly, I don’t know the dimensions on the proposed new inline 6. They are however typically longer than V8s.
As I mentioned in my last post, the new engine would supposedly be just 3" longer than the Tigershark 2.4l. This is because it wouldn't just be the 2.0 with 2 more cylinders.

Allegedly, of course.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
So, an all new design? Interesting. The only way I can see bringing the dimensions down is to use a solid aluminum block with plasma lined cylinders, such a 2018 + Ford 5.0, or to use a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block like many modern diesels use.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
So, an all new design? Interesting. The only way I can see bringing the dimensions down is to use a solid aluminum block with plasma lined cylinders, such a 2018 + Ford 5.0, or to use a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block like many modern diesels use.
Obviously details are scarce, but one of the modifications mentioned was forgoing steel cylinder liners. I've seen articles suggest different alternatives, and iirc, plasma lined was mentioned at least once.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/12/20/fca-inline-six-rumored-jeep-wagoneer/

Engine bay constraints and a long use horizon mean engineers won't simply add two more cylinders to the GME, however. Allpar says the brief is to keep the Tornado GME-T6 — the alphanumeric for "turbocharged six" — no more than three inches longer than the Tigershark 2.4-liter four-cylinder. That means "major design changes" that could include a space-saving head, more closely spaced cylinders, and no cylinder liners. An FCA division called Comau could be called on for its "SmartSpray" plasma lining technology.
Sponsored