DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious how much of a drop in fuel economy others are seeing. I'm thinking of switching from my current Duratracs to these tires but the extra 10lbs per tire makes me wonder how much of a hit I'd take on economy.
I'd bet it has more to do with the rolling resistance, mainly from the tread design, than the weight. I'm getting a little less fuel economy from Grabber X3 mud tires than the KO2's I had before. They both weigh about 64lbs, so the difference is all in the rolling resistance.

But, remember this, without expensive analytic equipment, it is VERY hard to measure a real difference in fuel economy. There are just so many variables, including human variables, that can cause a subconscious difference in the way you drive and also in perception. Even on the same commute route there are thousands of variables that can change without us knowing it.

That's not to discredit the loss of mpg some are noticing. They can be very real. It's just very hard to tell. But there certainly seems to be a pattern developing.

Btw, I like almost everything about this tire and the MT Boss, too. The only drawbacks I see are in the weight, lack of a C load range, and I happen to like white letters, but that's no biggie. And D is better than E for a Wrangler. I think they'll be killer in snow. They have sillica in the tread compound which will add to their winter grip. I absolutely LOVE the side biters, too. And the MT has lots of siping and more biting edges than most MTs, so I'd bet it would be outstanding in snow, as well. That's good because my experience with MT tires is that they leave a lot to be desired in the snow, especially when packed. I haven't tested the Grabber X3's in snow yet. Hopefully that's coming soon.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone having issues with the wear or feathering? I had to return my set of 35s last week and need to either have a new set sent, or swap to a different tire. I was told by discount tire that they are seeing issues with feathering on these (2 of mine were really badly feathered from factory). when I called 4wp, they also confirmed they also heard the same.

I have not heard of anyone having issues with Mickey Thompsons before so was wondering if there was any smoke to this fire?

on a positive note, these can be mounted (35s) on factory wheels for anyone wondering. I did not end up doing it, but could have.
DT would know, as they see so many. But also remember that tires have complex chemistry and the molding and curing process has to be just right, so it is very easy to get a bad batch. Every manufacturerer experiences that. For example, I've had a bunch of KO's and KO2's on different vehicles and never ever had a balancing issue, and I haven't heard many complaints about them. But I knew a couple guys that no matter what, even with road-force balancing on a Hunter machine, couldn't get them even remotely balanced and returned them. Both bought them near the same time, so I always suspected a bad batch.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Y'all talked me into it! I have 10 37X12.5x17 Baja Boss ATs in the garage waiting on Jeeps to get home for Thanksgiving break so we can get them installed.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. Anyone running the 35” on a 4.88 v6 rubicon?

If so how do you like it?

Pics would be appreciated on a 2.5” rubi as well.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Y'all talked me into it! I have 10 37X12.5x17 Baja Boss ATs in the garage waiting on Jeeps to get home for Thanksgiving break so we can get them installed.
By any chance could you measure the 37s mounted on the Jeep?

Thanks

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
18k miles in… The tires have been great in mud, snow, dirt, on the street and in heavy rain. There is no chunking, chips, nor tears in the tires with our mild to moderate trail use.

We didn’t make it to the UP this year but did get a few inches on the roads here. They did great. There was no noticeable loss of traction or steering driving normally.

Noise- I rolled the windows down the other day and you can make out some hum now but I didn’t notice until the windows were down. I then knew what to listen for and with the windows rolled up, no radio on, you can barely make it out. So far, so good rotating the tires every 5-6k miles. I’m extremely happy with their performance and even wear.

On a big side note, Mickey Thompson now has a lighter weight, less robust but still aggressive “Baja Boss AT SUV” line of tires. Between the 17’s and 18’s, of which I have a set of wheels in each size, the only one worth considering is the 48lb 285/70/17. It’s great to see that size appear in the that level of tire. It’s also the largest 17” tire though. Maybe more will come out later & maybe the same for the 18” sizes but I’m more doubtful that will happen.
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-boss-a-t-suv

Last edited:

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I had mine on for about 5,000 miles and used them in snow, sleet, rain, daily driving, and an off-road trip to Ouray and Moab. I got a couple spots the tire got cut up while in Moab but it was nothing compared to previous tires I’ve used. I wouldn’t even call them chunks just because of how minor they were. Sidewalls had no damage. I’ll definitely put them on my next JL. My biggest gripe with them was how heavy they were.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I had a defective set and had to swap to Nitro Ridge Grapplers again as the Mickeys were not in stock anywhere at the time. Im thinking about relocating from Phoenix to Fort Collins, and 3 peak will be a must for me. I will say My Nittos did amazing in the Sleet, ice and snow on the trip up here today so I am not as in a hurry as I thought It would be. My Nittos are pretty new still, and have a pretty much brand new set of factory takeoffs so Ill sell both of those to swap to either the K02 or hopefully the Mickey Thompson baja boss AT when I move.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I had mine on for about 5,000 miles and used them in snow, sleet, rain, daily driving, and an off-road trip to Ouray and Moab. I got a couple spots the tire got cut up while in Moab but it was nothing compared to previous tires I’ve used. I wouldn’t even call them chunks just because of how minor they were. Sidewalls had no damage. I’ll definitely put them on my next JL. My biggest gripe with them was how heavy they were.
That’s the only downside I’ve found but I can’t say I notice anything other than how robust the tires are. I would hope for a D load 17 or 18” tire size that isn’t over 295mm wide and is 34.5-35” tall.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
Anyone having issues with the wear or feathering? I had to return my set of 35s last week and need to either have a new set sent, or swap to a different tire. I was told by discount tire that they are seeing issues with feathering on these (2 of mine were really badly feathered from factory). when I called 4wp, they also confirmed they also heard the same.

I have not heard of anyone having issues with Mickey Thompsons before so was wondering if there was any smoke to this fire?

on a positive note, these can be mounted (35s) on factory wheels for anyone wondering. I did not end up doing it, but could have.
I guess this is why Discount Tire doesn't have them listed. Kind of a bummer. Tire Rack has a limited supply. And there seems to be slight differences between the Baja Boss AT and Baja Boss AT SUV tires on MT's website. The SUV's don't have a rim protector lip, which looks like that's what Tire Rack is listing as the Baja Boss AT. Kinda confusing.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I guess this is why Discount Tire doesn't have them listed. Kind of a bummer. Tire Rack has a limited supply. And there seems to be slight differences between the Baja Boss AT and Baja Boss AT SUV tires on MT's website. The SUV's don't have a rim protector lip, which looks like that's what Tire Rack is listing as the Baja Boss AT. Kinda confusing.
You could try ordering by part number to be sure…if they can get it. You might try calling MT for a supplier near you.
Sponsored