Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
@DadJokes " If you need light AT’s, these aren’t... lol."

Ok, sorry to pry, but what do you mean by this? You've described how these tires are more aggressive in the looks department. But how about performance? Are they noticeably worse on road than KO2s, for example? Any comparisons against a "light AT" tire like the KO2s would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
They’re heavy. Considerably more heavy. There is not a 295/70/18 KO2 but there is the KM3 and that’s “only” 73.7 lbs advertised by tiresize.com. A KO2 would be lighter. Mine are 75.
Performance? I’ve only had them since the 7th and I’m in the middle of mods for a big Summer road trip out west. Compared to the stock KO2’s on our Rubicon, they’re more quiet surprisingly. That’s with the windows all down. I’ve not been off road yet. I hope to do that next month.
Sponsored

jkratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Stelvio, Tahoe, '56 Ford
They’re heavy. Considerably more heavy. There is not a 295/70/18 KO2 but there is the KM3 and that’s “only” 73.7 lbs advertised by tiresize.com. A KO2 would be lighter. Mine are 75.
Performance? I’ve only had them since the 7th and I’m in the middle of mods for a big Summer road trip out west. Compared to the stock KO2’s on our Rubicon, they’re more quiet surprisingly. That’s with the windows all down. I’ve not been off road yet. I hope to do that next month.
Thank you. Very helpful.
In another thread, you described how you felt 8th gear was harder to hold on the highway, but that you also thought over time it was starting to adjust. Do you still feel that way? I've heard that the trans will automatically adapt, but not sure if that's true or not.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thank you. Very helpful.
In another thread, you described how you felt 8th gear was harder to hold on the highway, but that you also thought over time it was starting to adjust. Do you still feel that way? I've heard that the trans will automatically adapt, but not sure if that's true or not.
I felt it was adapting but not in a significant way. A regear to regain lost rpms would put 70mph back in the rpm range where there’s more torque to be able to sustain that speed on slight grades. I want to do this sooner but the boss might get upset doing it before Fall like we discussed. lol

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
@DadJokes - Thanks so much for this thread. Would love to get updated impressions along these lines, particularly with regard to on-road ride quality, wet performance and overall on-road performance. I read in another thread that the transmission will "re-learn" new shift points to compensate, but don't know if this is accurate or not.

I have a set of these on order (35x12.5R17) but am starting to question my decision given the extra weight you've observed and its impact.
I think when we talk about noticing the weight while driving we should clarify if it is a rubicon vs a non rubicon. That will make a difference if you will notice the weight. If is a rubicon with 35s and the 4cyl turbo, most likely you won’t feel any difference.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I think when we talk about noticing the weight while driving we should clarify if it is a rubicon vs a non rubicon. That will make a difference if you will notice the weight. If is a rubicon with 35s and the 4cyl turbo, most likely you won’t feel any difference.
I agree. Though not so bad with the 2.0, I’m sure it’s a bit better having 4.10 gears going off past gear swaps of mine.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
@DadJokes what gear ratio are you running right now and what height of tire did you come from? Im curious how much of what you are feeling is a result of added height or the weight. I just ordered a set of these for my Rubicon.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I agree. Though not so bad with the 2.0, I’m sure it’s a bit better having 4.10 gears going off past gear swaps of mine.
I’m still waiting on my tires. I ordered back in April 13 and they say I will get them the first week of June.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
@DadJokes what gear ratio are you running right now and what height of tire did you come from? Im curious how much of what you are feeling is a result of added height or the weight. I just ordered a set of these for my Rubicon.
Stock 3.45 until the boss supported Fall regear is done.

I added 3/4” spacers out back after the tires solely due to random timing. Already had them up front to offset the drop from the earlier winch/bumper install.

Aside from the three-quarter inch spacer install the only change was coming from stock 32 inch 43 lb tires to 34.5” 75 lb tires.

Last edited:

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Stock 3.45 until the boss supported Fall regear is done.

I added 3/4” spacers out back after the tires solely due random timing. Already had them up front to offset the drop from the earlier winch/bumper install.

Aside from the three-quarter inch spacer install the only change was coming from stock 32 inch 43 lb tires to 34.5” 75 lb tires.
Great, thank you for that info. That's reassuring. I think a lot of what you felt on the highway wasn't so much the weight of the new tire as it was the increased height. I went from stock 225/75R16 sport tires to 285/75R16 KM2 on my old JK 2dr 6spd and I lost my top end on the freeway. I would constanly have to drop a gear if I hit an incline or wanted to pass.

BTW You will love the regear!

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Great, thank you for that info. That's reassuring. I think a lot of what you felt on the highway wasn't so much the weight of the new tire as it was the increased height. I went from stock 225/75R16 sport tires to 285/75R16 KM2 on my old JK 2dr 6spd and I lost my top end on the freeway. I would constanly have to drop a gear if I hit an incline or wanted to pass.

BTW You will love the regear!
I hope I choose wisely. The last vehicle I over geared. More than enough was worse than not enough.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I hope I choose wisely. The last vehicle I over geared. More than enough was worse than not enough.
You going w/4:56 gears? I saw that they also have a 4.27 IIRC, think that would be ideal for 35s.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You going w/4:56 gears? I saw that they also have a 4.27 IIRC, think that would be ideal for 35s.
Using calculators that 4.27 would get the rpms about 20 rpms lower at 70 mph than a stock Rubicon. 4.56’s would put me 100 rpm higher than a stock Rubicon. That might be beneficial mainly due to the added torque per the trend in this chart put together by @AnnDee4444. I think that extra 20(?)Lb ft would be useful in holding gear and maintaining hwy speed.

Off the cuff, 4.56 looks to be the sweet spot. Again, 4.27 is 20 rpms lower than stock Rubicon rpms @ 70mph.

Jeep Wrangler JL Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s 1D341F70-E4BC-4EE4-9C7C-14439AF2B1B7

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Using calculators that 4.27 would get the rpms about 20 rpms lower at 70 mph than a stock Rubicon. 4.56’s would put me 100 rpm higher than a stock Rubicon. That might be beneficial mainly due to the added torque per the trend in this chart put together by @AnnDee4444. I think that extra 20(?)Lb ft would be useful in holding gear and maintaining hwy speed.

Off the cuff, 4.56 looks to be the sweet spot. Again, 4.27 is 20 rpms lower than stock Rubicon rpms @ 70mph.

Jeep Wrangler JL Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s 1D341F70-E4BC-4EE4-9C7C-14439AF2B1B7
Agreed. There's more to it than just 8th gear cruising RPM that would sway me towards the 4.56s. The 315/70r17s K02s are about 25% heavier than the OEM Rubicon tires, with the mass increase in the worst possible spot (as far away from the centerline of rotation as possible). The 35s will also increase the Jeep's frontal area (especially if being lifted) which increases wind resistance, and wind resistance is not linear with speed. Plus 4.56s would just be more fun, and 100 RPM increase in 8th gear really isn't much to be concerned with on the 2.0.

I'm guessing the JL is somewhere between the Hummer & Blazer
4Q_jwkEyJ65FILPsFIfpVGfDDNOFqvozDXZwtVaRnzNfFroJcb.png

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Agreed. There's more to it than just 8th gear cruising RPM that would sway me towards the 4.56s. The 315/70r17s K02s are about 25% heavier than the OEM Rubicon tires, with the mass increase in the worst possible spot (as far away from the centerline of rotation as possible). The 35s will also increase the Jeep's frontal area (especially if being lifted) which increases wind resistance, and wind resistance is not linear with speed. Plus 4.56s would just be more fun, and 100 RPM increase in 8th gear really isn't much to be concerned with on the 2.0.

I'm guessing the JL is somewhere between the Hummer & Blazer
Jeep Wrangler JL Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s 4Q_jwkEyJ65FILPsFIfpVGfDDNOFqvozDXZwtVaRnzNfFroJcb
That’s along the lines of what I was thinking. With all of the changes increasing drag and moment of inertia…another 100 rpm might be helpful.

IowaJLUR

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2.0L
Just put on on some 315/17 E rated MT Baja Boss A/T and some Warn rims on my JLUR 2.0 from stock wheels/KO2s. Total package was about 15# heavier per tire. Notice the weight slightly on take-off and highway inclines but nothing major. Still hitting 8th gear when it should. Zero difference in road noise and ride quality. Which surprised me jumping to an E rated tire. Ran both sets 32-34 PSI. Great tire so far!

rudi 1.jpg
Sponsored