Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Just a few very impromptu pics. This is with the 1” wheel spacers installed unlike the last set of pics. No rubbing at full lock now.

The driver side bumper end cap’s missing because I unwisely trusted some part numbers given on here. I’m using the numbers Benny of Allmoparparts gave me this time. There’s a couple of irregularities that can throw anyone off with these parts diagrams.

I just drove on a short road trip. At hwy speed the extra weight of the tires is more noticeable. It’s much harder to hold 8th, of course, but I’d swear it got just a bit better with some miles. Shrug, maybe wishful thinking. I can imagine telling the wife I need another 4k for gears and I may as well upgrade the axle shafts with some RCV’s. *running away*

95E0DEB5-A22F-4607-A822-2B2E525C21B5.jpeg

847482F1-85D4-47C3-8FAD-0E543989CFF0.jpeg

56E14668-ED31-4DE2-87E7-5C7BC3B81FE5.jpeg

B7A463EE-C659-4446-97B6-E8FEA104E249.jpeg

542B6725-01ED-4CEE-8D56-DB3F6BCBEE63.jpeg
Great looking ride! Did you installed a spacer to the springs to correct rake? It looks level even with your bumper, winch plate and winch. Mine sagged 3/4" after the bumper/winch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Great looking ride! Did you installed a spacer to the springs to correct rake? It looks level even with your bumper, winch plate and winch. Mine sagged 3/4" after the bumper/winch.
Thanks! I like the subtlety. It’s right up my alley.

Same here. Rubicon springs and they sagged 3/4” up front after the winch/bumper. I installed 3/4” Daystar spacers front and back. I knew the back was going to see some weight from our stuff this summer. They are 90/91 springs out back so it probably was a little more level than other Rubi spring sets to start with. It was off a steel bumper, hardtop, tow group Rubi though. I hope it’s enough. I don’t want it nose up at all. I need to load it up.

The custom ordered 1” Bora wheel spacers all around was just enough to stop some rubbing at full steering lock from the 295’s with large side biters.

(Edit: my current setup has changed to 61/62 stock Rubicon springs with 3/4” Daystar spacers up front and Synergy +1” over Rubicon springs out back to keep a very slight rake when fully loaded for a trip and maintain handling and braking characteristics.)

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Just a few very impromptu pics. This is with the 1” wheel spacers installed unlike the last set of pics. No rubbing at full lock now.

The driver side bumper end cap’s missing because I unwisely trusted some part numbers given on here. I’m using the numbers Benny of Allmoparparts gave me this time. There’s a couple of irregularities that can throw anyone off with these parts diagrams.

I just drove on a short road trip. At hwy speed the extra weight of the tires is more noticeable. It’s much harder to hold 8th, of course, but I’d swear it got just a bit better with some miles. Shrug, maybe wishful thinking. I can imagine telling the wife I need another 4k for gears and I may as well upgrade the axle shafts with some RCV’s. *running away*

95E0DEB5-A22F-4607-A822-2B2E525C21B5.jpeg

847482F1-85D4-47C3-8FAD-0E543989CFF0.jpeg

56E14668-ED31-4DE2-87E7-5C7BC3B81FE5.jpeg

B7A463EE-C659-4446-97B6-E8FEA104E249.jpeg

542B6725-01ED-4CEE-8D56-DB3F6BCBEE63.jpeg
Alternatively, you could also add two washers behind the steering stop bolt to fix the rubbing. You’d lose about half a degree of turning radius. Not a huge issue.

I have one thick washer behind mine and I still get 40-40 degree turning radius from lock to lock. As shown on ORP.

OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Alternatively, you could also add two washers behind the steering stop bolt to fix the rubbing. You’d lose about half a degree of turning radius. Not a huge issue.

I have one thick washer behind mine and I still get 40-40 degree turning radius from lock to lock. As shown on ORP.
Absolutely, and I considered it but I also anticipated some inner fender rubbing that these might help alleviate when I bolt in my Autolynx disconnects. Then there’s just a bit more stability.

From my muscle car days, I like when only the sidewall itself sticks past the fenders and these are close to that with the spacers. It’s a strong stance that doesn’t (or not noticeably) poke.

Jeep Wrangler JL Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s 3C490227-AD05-40EE-B555-A9EF137A42CB

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I ordered them in 35x12.50R17. I will post the weight of the tire when I get them.
Still waiting on my tires. I understand that they are new but it has been 10 days since I ordered them and now update status yet. I am more curious to get them in order to measure them and get the actual weight and height. They are listed at MT site at 72 pounds and 34.5" (that's a low 35") but at 4WheelParts where I ordered them are listed as 34.8".

Sponsored

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKUR Hard Rock
I've seen and been told different info on the siping depth of these new ATs. It's hard to tell from your original photos, but can you confirm whether or not the siping goes 15/32 into the tread or if it is something different? In your pics, it looks to only go in a little way at the edges of each tread block, but this may be the view of the photo. I'm on the fence with these and just looking for all the info I can gather before pulling the $2k trigger.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I've seen and been told different info on the siping depth of these new ATs. It's hard to tell from your original photos, but can you confirm whether or not the siping goes 15/32 into the tread or if it is something different? In your pics, it looks to only go in a little way at the edges of each tread block, but this may be the view of the photo. I'm on the fence with these and just looking for all the info I can gather before pulling the $2k trigger.
I've been told that tire siping only goes to about 1/2 of the tread depth. As any deeper would risk ripping chunks out of the tread block.

Also siping does not improve (edit: dry) pavement performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m not near it right now but I should be able to see if I can measure them soon.

I can’t see that they would go full depth because I’d think that would compromise some lug integrity. I’m not a tire engineer though.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also siping does not improve pavement performance.
Siping certainly helps w/ pavement performance, that's really when you want them. The siping provides improved traction in wet & cold weather giving your tread blocks separation. That's why you'll hear reviews of snowflake rated tires (ones w/ plenty of siping) that typically go like this~"These tires were amazing for the first couple years in the snow and rain, but now that they're getting worn the tires are a lot slicker", mainly due to the siping not being as prevalent. I believe the Mickeys are siped deeper than most, as you don't hear reviews about degraded performance as often vs. most others.

OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Siping certainly helps w/ pavement performance, that's really when you want them. The siping provides improved traction in wet & cold weather giving your tread blocks separation. That's why you'll hear reviews of snowflake rated tires (ones w/ plenty of siping) that typically go like this~"These tires were amazing for the first couple years in the snow and rain, but now that they're getting worn the tires are a lot slicker", mainly due to the siping not being as prevalent. I believe the Mickeys are siped deeper than most, as you don't hear reviews about degraded performance as often vs. most others.
Yeah, like with summer performance car tires. Some of the specialty types might not have much in the way of siping and wet road performance due to the desire for rigidity of the tread blocks and resulting quick steering response.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
When I said pavement performance, I meant dry pavement performance, I thought it was a given that siping improves performance on ice and snow.

Also siping on wet performance is debatable, while dedicated drainage channels specifically designed for rain does improve wet performance, but those zig-zag mountain snow-flake sipings that goes to nowhere definitely do not, in fact, they actually help trap water within treads blocks causing hydroplaning.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/should-you-slash-your-tires/index.htm
Jeep Wrangler JL Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s 1619488272541

Last edited:
OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
When I said pavement performance, I meant dry pavement performance, I thought it was a given that siping improves performance on ice and snow.
I had a feeling that’s what you meant being in the snow and ice up north.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ok, a little clarity never hurts :)
Seems like the siping technology is an ongoing process and the actual sipes are getting more complex for the higher-end tires. Those zig zag squiggle sipes provide increased surface area for tread blocks to move so in theory at least, they are a step up from just the angular ones.

Jerry, got a feeling you're gonna need some fancy sipes up in your part of the world :)

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Ok, a little clarity never hurts :)
Seems like the siping technology is an ongoing process and the actual sipes are getting more complex for the higher-end tires. Those zig zag squiggle sipes provide increased surface area for tread blocks to move so in theory at least, they are a step up from just the angular ones.

Jerry, got a feeling you're gonna need some fancy sipes up in your part of the world :)
Yea,

I solely run Duratracs up here because it's a sipe haven. And it's got winter performance to match.
Though, I think when the sipes run out, I either have to re-sipe it or get new rubbers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s 1619490447047
Sponsored