Initial impressions of my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
You could try ordering by part number to be sure…if they can get it. You might try calling MT for a supplier near you.
According to the MT website In the 275/60r20 size I was looking at the Baja Boss AT and SUV are both the same part number. maybe the rim protector is only on the LT sizes.
Sponsored

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Pretty sure I have decided on Baja Boss 35" tires once my stock KO2s wear out. Contemplating between A/T and M/T. Live in NW Florida so snow/ice isn't a consideration; plenty of rain, though. Been reading as much as I can about these tires but haven't found much on specifically the AT vs MT for the 35" Baja Boss. Can anyone weigh in?
Have a 2021 JLUR 2.0 on stock 4.10s. No plans for regearing. Is there a big difference in road noise?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Pretty sure I have decided on Baja Boss 35" tires once my stock KO2s wear out. Contemplating between A/T and M/T. Live in NW Florida so snow/ice isn't a consideration; plenty of rain, though. Been reading as much as I can about these tires but haven't found much on specifically the AT vs MT for the 35" Baja Boss. Can anyone weigh in?
Have a 2021 JLUR 2.0 on stock 4.10s. No plans for regearing. Is there a big difference in road noise?
If you're primarily wanting quieter longer lasting tires that will be easier to live w/ on the road than the AT for sure, keep in mind it's a very aggressive AT tire vs/ others on the market. This should handle just about anything you throw at it. If you want the more aggressive look along w/ better performance over more sever terrain but are willing to put up w/ more noise and less tread life than the MT would get the nod. From what you posted I'd say the AT will check all your boxes, and still look badass on your JL.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
If you're primarily wanting quieter longer lasting tires that will be easier to live w/ on the road than the AT for sure, keep in mind it's a very aggressive AT tire vs/ others on the market. This should handle just about anything you throw at it. If you want the more aggressive look along w/ better performance over more sever terrain but are willing to put up w/ more noise and less tread life than the MT would get the nod. From what you posted I'd say the AT will check all your boxes, and still look badass on your JL.

Thanks, Brad. That was my initial thought. Only thing that keeps coming up in the back of my head is the large majority of trails in my AO of Florida have plenty of mud and clay. Keep wondering if the trade of for a little more noise would be worth the MT. From this thread, though, it seems the BB A/Ts are more of a "hybrid" as mentioned by some and might work well enough. Granted, I'm not into sinking down into mud bogs or anything, just don't want to have that, "damn, wish I would have gotten ___ instead" moment. Pretty sure either would be a good decision and I'm in that endless loop of pre-purchase second guessing everything once I think I've made my mind up. That and I've only got 16k miles on my KO2s.... should probably spend the mental energy on something else, lol.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks, Brad. That was my initial thought. Only thing that keeps coming up in the back of my head is the large majority of trails in my AO of Florida have plenty of mud and clay. Keep wondering if the trade of for a little more noise would be worth the MT. From this thread, though, it seems the BB A/Ts are more of a "hybrid" as mentioned by some and might work well enough. Granted, I'm not into sinking down into mud bogs or anything, just don't want to have that, "damn, wish I would have gotten ___ instead" moment. Pretty sure either would be a good decision and I'm in that endless loop of pre-purchase second guessing everything once I think I've made my mind up. That and I've only got 16k miles on my KO2s.... should probably spend the mental energy on something else, lol.
Only you know how you'll be using your Jeep, and maybe not even know yet, as thing can surely change over time. From your post rain and I assume some beach running w/ the sand would be what you'd be doing a lot of. Deep mud and heavy rock crawling would be a good reason to choose MTs over the ATs. Moderate mud and even pretty heavy rock work those ATs will still perform well. Maybe you can find some newer you tube clips on the AT (since it's a newer tire vs. the MT) and see what you think. Also tire availability is a big issue right now, you might have to choose what you can actually get :(

Reactions: AMT

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
How bad are the BB AT’s at catching and throwing rocks? Hated the KO2 on gravel roads and all my camping spots are hours down gravel roads. My Yoko MT’s rarely toss up rocks in comparison to the KO2.

Reactions: LCW

silverheep

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR4xe
How bad are the BB AT’s at catching and throwing rocks? Hated the KO2 on gravel roads and all my camping spots are hours down gravel roads. My Yoko MT’s rarely toss up rocks in comparison to the KO2.
Mine toss a few, but I’ve had them on for 8,000 miles, and my hinges are no worse than they were after 375 miles of the KO2’s…I hated them too

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Reviving an old thread to see is you ever went with the Baja Bosses, specifically the ATs. I also have a 2.0 Rubi with 4.10s on 35” KO2s that are nearing their end and I’m wondering how severely the extra weight of the Baja Bosses effects the mpg on the 2.0.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Reviving an old thread to see is you ever went with the Baja Bosses, specifically the ATs. I also have a 2.0 Rubi with 4.10s on 35” KO2s that are nearing their end and I’m wondering how severely the extra weight of the Baja Bosses effects the mpg on the 2.0.
Maybe 1mpg. I don’t know for sure though because my gas mileage is always horrible.
Sponsored

Reactions: DHW