Sponsored

Infrastructure Repair to be funded by " miles driven " Tax

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This idea , while not new, seems to be gaining traction. Because fuel tax revenues are down due to the present Pandemic, and forecast to continue with the increasing number of EVs that don't pay fuel tax, this tax is being proposed to make up the shortfall. In order to tax " miles driven", that number has to be known. Newer vehicles have this information available, it can be read and recorded without permission from the owner/ driver. Of course, numbers are good, locations are better..Your vehicle has far more information on you than your phone ( which shares its info on your Connected vehicle) and all of this is up for grabs, in the name of " saving the planet"
Alarm Bells, anyone ?
Sponsored

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The amazing things are this related to GHG.
the oceans sequester the VAST majority of CO2. A huge reduction in the phytoplankton and other small organisms that sequester the majority of it has been linked to the reduction in large ocean mammals (whales etc). They crap so much and fertilize to feed them that the reduction has been causing a huge impact globally on the ocean. If AOC wants to save the earth she should open her bug eyes and yapper at Japan for killing them en Masse. I’m no eco warrior by any means. Heck I find it useless to recycle half the time but we are looking at the wrong things.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I have mixed feelings about it. Get rid of the fuel tax entirely, make the mileage reporting a manual process (ie report it on your tax return), and it could work without the Orwellian aspects. If you under report, it would catch up to you when you sell your car (odometer report for title transfer would be your final tax return number). But of course it won't work that way, it is just another way to shove government further down our throats.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Oregon has gone to a "reverse gas guzzler" tax on vehicle registrations. The better your gas mileage (per the original EPA numbers), the more you pay for the registration.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

Another tax the middle class boondoggle. For many areas in the US you have to move miles away from jobs to find a decent house that a working family can afford. That means more miles driven. It's an attempt to force people into little boxes close to public transportation at the expense of quality of life.

The liberals want equality, that is everyone equally miserable.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Another tax the middle class boondoggle. For many areas in the US you have to move miles away from jobs to find a decent house that a working family can afford. That means more miles driven. It's an attempt to force people into little boxes close to public transportation at the expense of quality of life.

The liberals want equality, that is everyone equally miserable.
Strong rural Internet (Starlink?) and some pandemic-induced shifts in employer mindsets ("hey, we are more profitable without this huge office space") can make living outside of urban centers practical without a commute.

I'm not disagreeing with you about a mileage tax hitting rural America harder than urban America, just that there is some opportunity to avoid it.... until progressives start taxing the air.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If you honestly think that the money collected from this tax would actually go towards infrastructure, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.
Sponsored