First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone have a link or an idea where I can get the actual specifications on the Alpine speaker upgrade on a JLU? Thanks!
Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
This is what I got from Jeep when I asked about the system in my 2020 model. Assume it's the same in the 2021.

Speaker sizes and power handling capacity
  • IP contains two 3.5" on top, two 4.5" within enclosures (lower part of dash).
  • Overhead sound bar contains the same set of these 4 speakers.
  • all speakers are driven by 46W chip from the amplifier, but rated at 50W (max).

Subwoofer size and power handling capacity
  • 10", 50W per coil. Four coils, so rated 200W total

Subwoofer enclosure volume
  • 16L

Amplifier power output in WRMS
  • 12channels, 46W each = 552W

I've had the sub out and tested it and each voice coil is 2 ohm. I believe all of the other speakers are also 2 ohm.

If you want a cheap small upgrade I added polyfill to the sub enclosure and noticed a differnce (not huge but it is noticable) and I've seen comments from others about adding it to the soundbar and dash enclosures as well.

If you want a decent improvement you're going to have to replace speakers and add an amp as the factory amp isn't powerful enough to drive a 4 ohm speaker well enough.

If you want to fit a different sub into the factory enclosure the JL Audio 10TW3 is basically the perfect depth. I'm going to be fitting a DD SL710 to mine but going to have to make a custom mount for it as it's slightly too deep..

OP
OP

LewbeachBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
So I'm going to break down those numbers into real world figures, thank you for posting that because I was also curious.

Speakers are 2 ohm 50 watt, driven by 46 watts. So, that means 25 watt RMS speakers driven by 23 watts RMS. This would be the equivalent of 11.5 watts rms per channel for aftermarket 4 ohm speakers. That is less watts than an aftermarket head unit with no amp (usually 14 watts rms per channel output at 4 ohms).

Subwoofer enclosure is .5 cubic ft. Roughly the minimum size for most 8" subwoofers on a sealed enclosure. For porting that volume you can't go bigger than a 6.5 inch.

Subwoofer is 200 watts, so 100 watt RMS @ 2 ohm. It is being driven by 184 watts, so 92 watts RMS.

Amp total output 552 watts, so 276 watts RMS total on 2 ohm, or 138 watts total system power at 4 ohms.

This is much lower power than I thought the system had. I'm going to assume the sensitivity on the factory speakers is pretty high to get the volume they produce.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Per Dave at Quart, the sub enclosure is 0.35 cu ft. There really is no drop in that will work if you want to upgrade the sub. Some have had success with the 10TW3 JL audio but I did not. Quart will be releasing a drop in sub soon that will work in that enclosure. In the meantime, I am running a Quart 400.1 amp into the stock sub that I rewired.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Old thread…I know. 😎

Anyone know the frequencies of the Alpine speakers or where I can find this information?
Sponsored