Increased Mileage after purchase

NMRego80

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Hi guys! Need your help. Purchased my JL 2 weeks ago and only picking it up today. (Had to wait for the title to come in.) The dealership kindly lended me a car while waiting. I ran a quick car fax last night and noticed it has an additional 500 miles from the date I put a down payment on it! They were going to adjust my brakes but no way that many miles should have been driven in a two week span! Should I get some time of comp?
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
IMHO there is not much you can really do. It is 500 miles which seems like a lot today, but in the grand scheme, it is nothing. Did you personally see and remember the odometer reading from when you first saw it? Did you see 500 additional miles on it when you last saw it? It may well be a simple mistake. Either way, it is no big deal. How many total miles are on it?

OP
OP
NMRego80

NMRego80

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
IMHO there is not much you can really do. It is 500 miles which seems like a lot today, but in the grand scheme, it is nothing. Did you personally see and remember the odometer reading from when you first saw it? Did you see 500 additional miles on it when you last saw it? It may well be a simple mistake. Either way, it is no big deal. How many total miles are on it?
Yes, I took a picture of it the day I bought it so it’s def off. Has little less than 31k in total

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I took a picture of it the day I bought it so it’s def off. Has little less than 31k in total
You could show it to the General Manager (the GM only, however you may have to raise it to the sales or service manger fist to get traction) let them know you are very unhappy about the apparent "joy ride". He may do nothing OR he may give you some free service or something. I would not expect any sort of discount unless you are prepared to walk away all together over this.

The bottom line is this, they WANT you to be happy and they need to make money. If it takes a few freebies to make you happy you may well get them, but I would not expect miracles - in fact I would expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised if you get anything. They added .01% to your mileage total and really it is not yours until you take delivery.

Don't let this ruin your experience, it is not worth it. This is a FUN vehicle and should be a fun time....

Sponsored

OP
OP
NMRego80

NMRego80

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
The good news is the dealer gave you a loaner for the 2 weeks. The bad news is they also loaned yours out during that time.
Ha true story

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

I’d probably raise a stink if it were a brand new vehicle. But 500 miles doesn’t really mean much on a vehicle with 31,000 miles.

Still, it doesn’t justify the dealer to drive around in your vehicle; one that it already sold.

If you need to get it out of your chest, I’d let the dealer know that you know that they drove your Jeep 500 miles during the 2 weeks, and you don’t appreciate it. Perhaps show them the photo of the odometer, and leave it at that.

If they feel any remorse, you may get a free hat out of it. If not, you will know to take your Jeep elsewhere for service.

Good luck.

OP
OP
NMRego80

NMRego80

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Damn! Reading the title I thought this post was going to tell me about a new product you installed that increased your (gas) mileage... lol!

Disappointed! But welcome to the forum!
Lol sorry to disappoint!

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
The carfax isnt live, it would have been listing the day the dealer traded for it and checked it in. its nothing to stress, just test drive or service loaner miles. We have brand new vehicles on the lot with 500 miles on them. :jk: just enjoy the new jeep, have fun, its your turn to rack up the miles now!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
So, you had not taken delivery of the Jeep yet? You put a down payment on it, but did not own it when those miles were put on? I don't think you have any recourse but to ask for your down payment back and walk away from the deal if it doesn't feel right.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You could show it to the General Manager (the GM only, however you may have to raise it to the sales or service manger fist to get traction) let them know you are very unhappy about the apparent "joy ride". He may do nothing OR he may give you some free service or something. I would not expect any sort of discount unless you are prepared to walk away all together over this.

The bottom line is this, they WANT you to be happy and they need to make money. If it takes a few freebies to make you happy you may well get them, but I would not expect miracles - in fact I would expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised if you get anything. They added .01% to your mileage total and really it is not yours until you take delivery.

Don't let this ruin your experience, it is not worth it. This is a FUN vehicle and should be a fun time....
Robert, just a slight correction. 500 miles is not .01% of 31,000 miles. It is 1.6%.

With that said, I still agree with your advice, FWIW.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Robert, just a slight correction. 500 miles is not .01% of 31,000 miles. It is 1.6%.

With that said, I still agree with your advice, FWIW.
Sorry.. yes I was not being literal.. :LOL:

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Did you actually see the odometer with the additional miles on it or just the current carfax that showed the increase?
Sponsored