RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I haven't; I can't say much on this Chad.

What I do find interesting...and maybe I missed it, was Artec Industries, its manufacture/distributor seemingly did not including it with the JL product offerings.

https://www.artecindustries.com/jeep_jl_jlu

It's not that I don't expressly trust the people at Extreme Terrain--in fact I'd think most of the time their fitment data I'd suspect is accurate--and it does say JL fit is confirmed on their website.

Funny, I can't find a product description for this under the JK at the Artec Industries site: hoping to get some dimensions. Maybe it's somewhere else on the website that I missed.

==

At the risk of sharing things you know, otherwise well documented here, batteries and the steps we take to mitigate the risk that they won't crank our JLs is still a work in progress. To this point, if your small second battery for the ESS system, tucked below the PCM (power control module) in the upper left portion of the hood as you face the rig head on dies, short of some workarounds, you won't be turning over your rig no matter how big your main battery.

There is much more to be said on this, like Dual battery kits for the JL that bypass this small battery, and workarounds if the small battery dies. Rather than rehash, why don't you discuss your goals and I and others can talk about that.

I realize, right now all you may be looking for is fitment and feasibily.;)

OP
OP

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

What I do find interesting...and maybe I missed it, was Artec Industries, its manufacture/distributor seemingly did not including it with the JL product offerings.

It's not that I don't expressly trust the people at Extreme Terrain--in fact I'd think most of the time their fitment data I'd suspect is accurate--and it does say JL fit is confirmed on their website.

Funny, I can't find a product description for this under the JK at the Artec Industries site: hoping to get some dimensions. Maybe it's somewhere else on the website that I missed.

==

At the risk of sharing things you know, otherwise well documented here, batteries and the steps we take to mitigate the risk that they won't crank our JLs is still a work in progress. To this point, if your small second battery for the ESS system, tucked below the PCM (power control module) in the upper left portion of the hood as you face the rig head on dies, short of some workarounds, you won't be turning over your rig no matter how big your main battery.

There is much more to be said on this, like Dual battery kits for the JL that bypass this small battery, and workarounds if the small battery dies. Rather than rehash, why don't you discuss your goals and I and others can talk about that.

Powering a fridge for 3-4 days without running is the goal. The larger alternator with the tow package will be a big help too.

OP
OP

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

==

I like the Genesis dual battery setup but that'll be about a $1000 upgrade.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Powering a fridge for 3-4 days without running is the goal. The larger alternator with the tow package will be a big help too.
Funny...if you were to isolate (the key operative task here) the two batteries temporarily while overlanding and run your main one, large or small down, as the long as the ESS battery is not connected and discharged until just before crank, at least in theory, you will have enough juice to crank the rig, where after the alternator can charge everything. I'd turn the ESS off for the charging trip home, although this may not be necessary. Once you get to your destination, 110VAC based charging could continue need be.

Yeah, the Genesis kit is uber expensive, and that's before the two additional battery purchase it requires; I completely agree.

;)I'm waiting for the ESS batteries to, with time, categorically fail (I hope they won't) in rigs left and right, and being the "Achilles Heel" they are in getting the rig to crank, thereafter filing a class action law suit against FCA, whose settlement terms involve the free installation of the Genesis, or Genesis like kit, and its outfit on all rigs produced thereafter.

When @lodoffroad gets their JL rack out, I'm going to be eager to devise a solar panel that encompasses the entire roof space while the unloaded (of if tent based, unoccupied) rack is cantilevered out of the way. This was the JK one.

...not that ground based RV solar kits or days without sunshine aren't also a consideration.

LOD.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
waiting for extrremeterrain.com to post an install video under the hood, but i won't hold my breath!
To me it looks like a generic battery box hence why it shows so many different models. I would venture to guess it’s designed to be mounted anywhere from the rear cargo area to frame to under the hood on the earlier jeeps.

Brett

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
As I wrote on another thread, why can't anyone devise a regular size battery holder to fit someplace under the hood, even if closer to the ground, with cables to bypass the ESS battery and connect to a new larger battery that goes in this holder?

The 2 batteries are in parallel except upon start or ESS event, yes? Might that not leave enough power in the new larger ESS battery to crank, even if the aforementioned refrigerator draw works against both batteries as described above?

Or how's about this. While my home backup generator is on a trickle charger as long as their is house hold current, charging the unit's crank battery, the unit is designed to crank, and once it's cranked charge this battery, even if utilty power is available, if the battery's voltage drops below a threshold.

Particular for JLs with remote start, how hard would it be, with the proper security checks in place, for hardware/software (CANbus) to be devised that would crank the rig to charge its batteries if they drop below a voltage threshold as might occur on such an overland trip?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
waiting for extrremeterrain.com to post an install video under the hood, but i won't hold my breath!
Great point, especially in light of the fact that the Genesis install video struck me as, while not really hard, somewhat involved and certainly not trivial.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
If you stick another battery in the cargo area for camping and trickle charge it off the cigarette lighter adapter back there (equipped for owners with the subwoofer back there) consider moving the fuse associated with this outlet, as per the manual, so it doesn't trickle charge when the rig's off.

That cigarette lighter outlet is, from the factory, by default, always on: rig on or off.

Moving the fuse, you can change the outlet to behave like an accessory outlet, like the cigarette lighter outlet in the dash: only on when the rig's starter is in the on position (vehicle cranked or not.)

OP
OP

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
As I wrote on another thread, why can't anyone devise a regular size battery holder to fit someplace under the hood, even if closer to the ground, with cables to bypass the ESS battery and connect to a new larger battery that goes in this holder?

The 2 batteries are in parallel except upon start or ESS event, yes? Might that not leave enough power in the new larger ESS battery to crank, even if the aforementioned refrigerator draw works against both batteries as described above?

Or how's about this. While my home backup generator is on a trickle charger as long as their is house hold current, charging the unit's crank battery, the unit is designed to crank, and once it's cranked charge this battery, even if utilty power is available, if the battery's voltage drops below a threshold.

Particular for JLs with remote start, how hard would it be, with the proper security checks in place, for hardware/software (CANbus) to be devised that would crank the rig to charge its batteries if they drop below a voltage threshold as might occur on such an overland trip?
Love the auto start threshold idea!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The idea of a auto start when the battery drops below a threshold has hazards that need to be addressed.

For a second battery to run camp gear, fridges, lights, etc., a separate circuit to accessory outlets, tied to a dedicated camp accessory battery is a way. I ran a battery isolator charge system on a truck I had to do this. That battery had only one function: accessory power. It would charge along with the main battery, but it was isolated for discharge.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The idea of a auto start when the battery drops below a threshold has hazards that need to be addressed.

For a second battery to run camp gear, fridges, lights, etc., a separate circuit to accessory outlets, tied to a dedicated camp accessory battery is a way. I ran a battery isolator charge system on a truck I had to do this. That battery had only one function: accessory power. It would charge along with the main battery, but it was isolated for discharge.
Having originally suggested the idea here I concur with your thoughts @roaniecowpony on, unlike say a house generator (always outside and vented) with a declining power crank battery starting up for the sole purposes of charging this battery, there being perhaps notification to the owner, if the rig need to crank to charge its batteries.

With wifi, these days, vehicle notification to owner is entirely doable. By default, the rig should not crank without express owner okay, unless, perhaps, the owner expressly configures things that way--as sure as the lawyers representing such product will put the kabash on such features short of numerous owner liability waivers.

By way of just one of a hundred reasons, we don't want a rig in a closed garage and attached house cranking on a cold night, say, because the battery dipped below a threshold.

Good point sir or madam. Perhaps in its best implementation said product is nothing more than a voltage monitoring wi-fi owner communicating device, for the owner to then take engine crank action upon at their own discretion.
Sponsored

Last edited: