Increase Clearance Options

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I'm at 12.5" to the bottom of the front diff. Couldn't accurately measure the rear b/c there's a few layers of cardboard on the floor and only one tire is parked on it, but it was reading 12.25" with the cardboard under it...so it's probably real close to the front...maybe just a hair higher due to the decreased weight bias to the rear of the vehicle affecting how much the tire sidewall squats.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@UNC Rubicon, @Sean K.; another way to get clearance (in both cases) would be portal axels! I’ve seen a couple of jeeps with portals...but no JLs that I can think of. Also...I do realize that portals are probably outside the realm of reality for OP and most people for that matter.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
@UNC Rubicon, @Sean K.; another way to get clearance (in both cases) would be portal axels! I’ve seen a couple of jeeps with portals...but no JLs that I can think of. Also...I do realize that portals are probably outside the realm of reality for OP and most people for that matter.
Portals have some pretty big drawbacks in terms of ride height though....you generally have to move the axles out from underneath the vehicle (especially the engine, be it fore or aft)...and that would also necessitate full hydro steering if you have a front engine configuration.

In short, your CoG is going to go through the roof with portals unless you stretch the already very long wheelbase on an Unlimited to push at the least the front end out from under the vehicle and then you also have to go to a balanced full hydro system with a load reactive orbital (and the accompanying, obligatory upgrades to the axle knuckle and steering arms) if you want any semblance of a normal road driving/handling experience. And that doesn't even take into account the oddities of on-road driving a portal axle and its geared reduction boxes as well as the link geometry issues caused by having the axle tubes located so high in relation to the vehicle's roll axis.

Then there's the price of all of the above. U13/1400 Mogs are the obvious choice (400/406 series aren't really a good choice from a reduction box standpoint) or custom hybrid Volvos or the like....you're talking easily $20K in axles alone...not to mention custom fab, $3K in steering, new wheels, etc.

Might make sense on a buggy....not so much on a full bodied JLUR.

Last edited:

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 12.5" to the bottom of the front diff. Couldn't accurately measure the rear b/c there's a few layers of cardboard on the floor and only one tire is parked on it, but it was reading 12.25" with the cardboard under it...so it's probably real close to the front...maybe just a hair higher due to the decreased weight bias to the rear of the vehicle affecting how much the tire sidewall squats.
Thanks for measuring, that’s 3/8” difference in a true 37, I’m assuming m/t tire?, and a kinda hybrid m/t, / a/t tire. I know it’s not an exact science but I was just curious how much difference there was between the two.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for measuring, that’s 3/8” difference in a true 37, I’m assuming m/t tire?, and a kinda hybrid m/t, / a/t tire. I know it’s not an exact science but I was just curious how much difference there was between the two.
Yeah, 3/8" in loaded radius. Mine are PitBull Radial Rockers...I'd assume they're classified as an m/t.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean K.; I completely agree...those are the reasons I said they probably aren’t in the realm of reality for most people...they are awesome on a purpose built rig...but a daily driven rig would not be a candidate for them.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Sean K.; I completely agree...those are the reasons I said they probably aren’t in the realm of reality for most people...they are awesome on a purpose built rig...but a daily driven rig would not be a candidate for them.
No, I noticed your original caveat.

I was just listing the drawbacks for those that might not know.

I'd disagree that they're all that "awesome" on a purpose built rig either. If they were that great you'd see them on every competition rockcrawler and Ultra4 car and you don't. To each their own though.

Advertisement

Allmoparparts.com

Advertisement