Incandescent to LED: 2021 JL 4dr Sport:

eebdel

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4dr
It looks like I should have the dealer change my Halogen Headlights to LED Lighting. Can I change the turn signals and fog light bulbs to LED without any complications, additional wiring harness, or issues?
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The retrofit kit from Mopar (Jeep OEM) p/n 82215136AE, lists for about $900. It's probably the most reliable way to go.

There are other aftermarket lights that run from simple bulb changes to entire housing changes. Some cost as much or more as the Mopar OEM lights, and the bulbs are probably the bottom of the cost scale, some cost less than a tank of gas.

The options are endless. And performance can be less than the OEM LED headlights to much much better than them.

For years I didn't buy into just sticking a LED bulb into a reflector housing. However, I watched this video below and it changed mind. So, yesterday I installed some S-V.4 LED bulbs into my halogen housings, which took me about an hour of dilly dallying (I'm slow). I took it out last night and found a wall on a big building to adjust them, then drove them for about an hour in the dark hilly areas. So far, I'm pretty impressed. There's a definite cutoff that is maintained from the factory halogen bulb. Watch the video starting around 4:22.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My JL came with halogens in front and LEDs in the rear —as part of the Safety Group. It is now LED throughout, but it was a very expensive conversion.

Here’s a break down:

Mopar LED headlamps —$900, including shipping
Halos wiring installation —$270
Tazer Mini to activate the LEDs and halos —$330
Total: $1,500

I could have installed the wiring for the halos but I didn’t want to bother; it is quite involve. You have to go under the auxiliary battery and through the firewall.

I got used DRLs from a fellow forum member for $250. That’s the price of one if you buy them new. It was quite a bit of work to physically replace the DRL housings and the wiring harnesses, but it ended being plug-and-play. Best is to remove the front tires and the fender liners.

The LED fogs came with the Mopar steel bumper, so that saved me another $250.

FYI - DV8 Offroad makes these LED headlamps: https://www.morris4x4center.com/dv8...XJDGxmTO5XTnwvssZfoOUl2J_PU_SV58aAixkEALw_wcB.

They look identical to the Mopars but cost 1/3 less and, apparently, the halos are true plug-and-play. If I were to do it all over again, I’d probably go with these.

This is after installing the steel bumper; before replacing the fender DRLs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Incandescent to LED: 2021 JL 4dr Sport: 06309DFB-6999-4E79-9B75-E2CA7B7A2565

Last edited:
OP
OP

eebdel

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. This is very helpful. My goal is to just brighten the headlamps and fog lamps. I don't do off-roading, but want better illumination at night. Thank you for the insight. This is my first Jeep.

OP
OP

eebdel

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The retrofit kit from Mopar (Jeep OEM) p/n 82215136AE, lists for about $900. It's probably the most reliable way to go.

There are other aftermarket lights that run from simple bulb changes to entire housing changes. Some cost as much or more as the Mopar OEM lights, and the bulbs are probably the bottom of the cost scale, some cost less than a tank of gas.

The options are endless. And performance can be less than the OEM LED headlights to much much better than them.

For years I didn't buy into just sticking a LED bulb into a reflector housing. However, I watched this video below and it changed mind. So, yesterday I installed some S-V.4 LED bulbs into my halogen housings, which took me about an hour of dilly dallying (I'm slow). I took it out last night and found a wall on a big building to adjust them, then drove them for about an hour in the dark hilly areas. So far, I'm pretty impressed. There's a definite cutoff that is maintained from the factory halogen bulb. Watch the video starting around 4:22.

Thank you. This was very helpful. This is my first Jeep. Just want better night-time illumination.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like I should have the dealer change my Halogen Headlights to LED Lighting. Can I change the turn signals and fog light bulbs to LED without any complications, additional wiring harness, or issues?
You can easily replace the bulbs, I bought the Kiwi LED headlights and they were plug and play. I bought my rear sequential tail lights from BRP Auto, got my fog light bulbs and turn signal bulbs from Amazon.

Jeep JL Front Turn Signal DRL LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJDWD4X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Alla Lighting CANBUS 2504 PSX24W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1YU2TS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

KIWI MASTER 9 Inch Round LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4K67H1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

http://brpautodesigns.com/

OP
OP

eebdel

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. It does seem I have options. Hopefully taking possession at the end of this week. Once i have it, I’ll start further research. I just want more illumination for nighttime regular driving.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
my jl came with the halogen lights. i swapped out the bulbs for the supernova v4 led head and fog lights from headlights revolution. its 100x better and lights up the road. cant go wrong with $348 for both head and fog lights bulbs. its a plug and play setup (very easy ot install). the other best choice would be the beam tech led bulbs. for around $40 / $50. search beam tech on this forum and theres plenty to read up on.

OP
OP

eebdel

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. If I can make that type of scenario work, I could spend the money on adding the six switches.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
In general, if you don't mind paying a bit the Oracle Oculus projectors are incredible. They beat the crap out of the Mopar projectors and are a bit cheaper to do aftermarket. They are also about as easy an install as you'll ever find...even a beginner can do it in an hour. But they are $500-600 depending on where you get them so that's definitely not the cheap way to go

For years I didn't buy into just sticking a LED bulb into a reflector housing. However, I watched this video below and it changed mind. So, yesterday I installed some S-V.4 LED bulbs into my halogen housings, which took me about an hour of dilly dallying (I'm slow). I took it out last night and found a wall on a big building to adjust them, then drove them for about an hour in the dark hilly areas. So far, I'm pretty impressed.
It wasn't very long ago that putting LED bulbs in halogen or HID projectors or reflectors meant a ton of brightness, but not very useable light - the light scattered everywhere and more of it ended up in oncoming drivers' eye's than on the road. That's where the apprehension comes from and why you'll always see "that guy" in the HID retro threads who claims that you should never do it and it can never ever work.

HOWEVER, times have changed, and we now have LED bulbs that do a pretty good impression of halogen bulbs, while giving more lumens and better CRI. IF YOU GET QUALITY BULBS, you often CAN put them in halogen reflectors or projectors and end up with pretty darn good results. It's never going to compete with high-end purpose built projectors, but you're also looking at 1/5th to 1/10th the cost of those setups...so I think most of us would be more than happy with "pretty darn good" if it means that kind of savings.

My JL came with halogens in front and LEDs in the rear —as part of the Safety Group. It is now LED throughout, but it was a very expensive conversion...

...I could have installed the wiring for the halos but I didn’t want to bother; it is quite involve. You have to go under the auxiliary battery and through the firewall.
Just a tip...if you want the halos to work, but don't want to go through that factory nonsense, you can tap into the fender DRL harnesses. White/green wire is DRL and white/brown is parking. The only problem is that you have to pick whether you want them on with the DRLs during the day or with the parking lights and headlights...you can't have both unless you go all EE like me. I used a diode pack to make it work both ways...but that's a lot more work.

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some videos that may help.

In general, if you don't mind paying a bit the Oracle Oculus projectors are incredible. They beat the crap out of the Mopar projectors and are a bit cheaper to do aftermarket. They are also about as easy an install as you'll ever find...even a beginner can do it in an hour. But they are $500-600 depending on where you get them so that's definitely not the cheap way to go

My concern with the JL aftermarket headlight assemblies that I've seen, is the ability to quickly and easily adjust the beam height, similar to the OEM assemblies. I want to be conscientious, especially when using modern high output lights. So, when I load up my vehicles for road trips, I will adjust the beam height down appropriately, and visa-versa upon returning from a trip, where the load affects beam height.

Does the Oracle Oculus have a conveniently accessible adjuster that you can use easily on the side of the road, if needed?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
My concern with the JL aftermarket headlight assemblies that I've seen, is the ability to quickly and easily adjust the beam height, similar to the OEM assemblies. I want to be conscientious, especially when using modern high output lights. So, when I load up my vehicles for road trips, I will adjust the beam height down appropriately, and visa-versa upon returning from a trip, where the load affects beam height.

Does the Oracle Oculus have a conveniently accessible adjuster that you can use easily on the side of the road, if needed?
It depends on your definition of "convenient". I've never had to adjust headlights other than at initial installation or after they got hit with something. Even for vehicles I tow with. I just make sure I set them initially at a level that works both loaded and unloaded. Besides, I haven't encountered a vehicle with truly EASY to adjust headlights in the last 15 years. Most of the cars ive had require removal of the front bumper in order to anything at all with the headlamps.

So with that as my experience, I find the Oculus lamps pretty darn easy to work with. I am able to adjust my passenger side pretty easily with a long-handle allen wrench, and the driver's side is reasonably accessible after removing the large harness clip that sits directly above the headlamp housing.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It depends on your definition of "convenient". I've never had to adjust headlights other than at initial installation or after they got hit with something. Even for vehicles I tow with. I just make sure I set them initially at a level that works both loaded and unloaded. Besides, I haven't encountered a vehicle with truly EASY to adjust headlights in the last 15 years. Most of the cars ive had require removal of the front bumper in order to anything at all with the headlamps.

So with that as my experience, I find the Oculus lamps pretty darn easy to work with. I am able to adjust my passenger side pretty easily with a long-handle allen wrench, and the driver's side is reasonably accessible after removing the large harness clip that sits directly above the headlamp housing.
Thanks for the explanation of how the Oracle works. I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Glad it works for you. My needs to readjust lights for heavy loads on road trips are mine and not everyone's. I'm especially cognizant of this with the higher powered lights, having forgotten in the past and having other drivers remind me when my low beam cutoffs were above the horizon due to vehicle loading. The adjusters on my JL and my GMC truck are readily accessible by opening the hood and using an allen wrench without any removal of parts. I can raise and lower the beams in just a few seconds. This works for me.
Sponsored