In too deep?

CharliePope35

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S, 2018 Ford Mustang
I have a Sport S. So far I’ve done minimal modifications to it (all practical, no performance). I work at a Chrysler dealership. One of my good customers and I both drive wranglers, however he has put a lot more into his than I have mine. This gentleman is currently running a really nice Method Racing wheel with 38s that I’m a huge fan of. He’s thinking about upgrading to 40s and wants to sell me the rims and tires.
Initially I was planning on doing a 3.5 inch lift and some 34-35s. I feel the 38s may be too much for me without diving too deep into my pockets and having to upgrade the drivetrain. I’m trying to think rationally and long term.
Would this be a poor choice? What other major mods would be a must on 38s to make it work? I’m not opposed to putting more money into my build, but I want to make sure I do it right and don’t do more harm than good. Opinions and thoughts welcome
Sponsored

OP
OP
CharliePope35

CharliePope35

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.5" of lift for 35's is way too much.
Even on the sport s? I’ve had some customers come in with 2 inch lifts and the 35s look a little cramped with not a whole lot of room to articulate

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
38s on a Sport equals new gears, lift, new axle shafts, probably sleeves and gussets, bigger brakes...

If you are really going to drive in places that 38s are warranted, then do it. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm running a 2.5" of lift on 35's (Sport), i actually got a tad over 3" of lift with the kit (most kits advertised height are based on Rubicon and Sport will end up with more lift). I have enough articulation that I'm considering limit straps. A couple of times I have flexed my front axle enough to almost have a coil drop out. That being said, when I go to 37's I will upgrade my lift with 3.5" lift coil springs to get the same amount of flex with larger tires. I wouldn't go over 35's with stock Sport axles and driveshafts though, luckily I already have a plan for that as well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Even on the sport s? I’ve had some customers come in with 2 inch lifts and the 35s look a little cramped with not a whole lot of room to articulate
The lift doesn't really seem to be the problem, the axle width definitely is. The fenders on the sport are ~2" lower than the Rubicon fenders, and 35's just barely rub on a Rubicon with no lift. Any lift will include bump stop extensions to prevent that.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

id say unless your doing some good rock crawling it isnt worth the 38s. 37 and up comes with alot of replacement parts/ spare parts as things are gonna break. i personally will no go higher than that of a 35. my sport on 33's with the Rubicon take off suspension has taken me up stuff that scares me.. I do want to go 35's on a 3.5" lift though. i wont go any higher than that myself.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport S. So far I’ve done minimal modifications to it (all practical, no performance). I work at a Chrysler dealership. One of my good customers and I both drive wranglers, however he has put a lot more into his than I have mine. This gentleman is currently running a really nice Method Racing wheel with 38s that I’m a huge fan of. He’s thinking about upgrading to 40s and wants to sell me the rims and tires.
Initially I was planning on doing a 3.5 inch lift and some 34-35s. I feel the 38s may be too much for me without diving too deep into my pockets and having to upgrade the drivetrain. I’m trying to think rationally and long term.
Would this be a poor choice? What other major mods would be a must on 38s to make it work? I’m not opposed to putting more money into my build, but I want to make sure I do it right and don’t do more harm than good. Opinions and thoughts welcome
My main concern for you would be your axles and re gearing like others have stated , 38s would be pushing the limits of the sport axles. So if you plan on upgrading your axles, and re gearing which is :piggybank:, I don’t think you would have any problems. I think a 2.5 - 3” lift on a sport would look the best with 35s.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Cheapest route? Buy Rubi take off axles, regear them, 3.5" lift, rubicon fenders, new drive shafts.

I would leave the sport S unlifted on 285/70/17, or 35s on a 2" lift if you don't off road.
but you said articulation, so I am assuming your an off roader.

OP
OP
CharliePope35

CharliePope35

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheapest route? Buy Rubi take off axles, regear them, 3.5" lift, rubicon fenders, new drive shafts.

I would leave the sport S unlifted on 285/70/17, or 35s on a 2" lift if you don't off road.
but you said articulation, so I am assuming your an off roader.
I hit a trail or two. I don’t need crazy flex or anything like that, but the ability to get over a tree on the trail is nice. Not rock climbing.

OP
OP
CharliePope35

CharliePope35

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My main concern for you would be your axles and re gearing like others have stated , 38s would be pushing the limits of the sport axles. So if you plan on upgrading your axles, and re gearing which is :piggybank:, I don’t think you would have any problems. I think a 2.5 - 3” lift on a sport would look the best with 35s.
Thanks much. I have someone who would hook me up with Rubi take off axels, so that isn’t a huge concern. I’d be more focused and the regearing since I have 0 experience in that.
Sponsored