Sponsored

In Search of 2-Door Skids...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You have a 2.0 or 3.6? Is that a resonator or catalytic converter in your bottom picture? I am only asking because I wonder if there is a catalytic converter that is vulnerable to thieves?

I also wonder if there is any kind of skid plate for 2-doors that might discourage catalytic converter thief if there is a converter that is vulnerable to thieves.
That's the midpipe resonator, the cat(s) are right below the motor.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That's the midpipe resonator, the cat(s) are right below the motor.
So no cats exposed for a thief to out on a 2-door 3.6?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So no cats exposed for a thief to out on a 2-door 3.6?
Check this video clip, they're bolted to the side of the motor, not a simple cut & go like what most meth heads prefer :)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check this video clip, they're bolted to the side of the motor, not a simple cut & go like what most meth heads prefer :)

That is a great video. I just wanted to confirm if there were any other cats down stream from the cats mounted to the motor? Anything out in the open to steal. For a 2-door 3.6 motor.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That is a great video. I just wanted to confirm if there were any other cats down stream from the cats mounted to the motor? Anything out in the open to steal.
Well they can open your hood and help themselves to batteries and various parts if you don't have a bolt hood lock or something similar. There's even a thread on this site where they cut the grill around the headlights and stole the LED lamps :headbang::angry::facepalm: The addicts gotta keep their buzz going ya know!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well they can open your hood and help themselves to batteries and various parts if you don't have a bolt hood lock or something similar. There's even a thread on this site where they cut the grill around the headlights and stole the LED lamps :headbang::angry::facepalm: The addicts gotta keep their buzz going ya know!
Unfortunately I live in the City and stealing catalytic converters is all too common. Took less then a minute to cut my neighbors cat out of her Liberty. Her security camera recorded it.

It's true, if they want it bad enough they will get it no matter what. I am just trying to make it as inconvenient as possible. Basically try eliminating the low hanging fruit for these ass holes. I had a hood lock, gas cap lock, wheel locks on my last JLR.

I am about to order another 2-door JLR and was on the fence with engine choice. Sad I need take into consideration which engine will be less vulnerable to converter theft. The cat was on the engine and difficult to cut out of my old 2.0 JLR. I just wanted to confirm the 3.6 was no more vulnerable than the 2.0.

Thanks for the replies back. Appreciate it!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately I live in the City and stealing catalytic converters is all too common. Took less then a minute to cut my neighbors cat out of her Liberty. Her security camera recorded it.

It's true, if they want it bad enough they will get it no matter what. I am just trying to make it as inconvenient as possible. Basically try eliminating the low hanging fruit for these ass holes. I had a hood lock, gas cap lock, wheel locks on my last JLR.

I am about to order another 2-door JLR and was on the fence with engine choice. Sad I need take into consideration which engine will be less vulnerable to converter theft. The cat was on the engine and difficult to cut out of my old 2.0 JLR. I just wanted to confirm the 3.6 was no more vulnerable than the 2.0.

Thanks for the replies back. Appreciate it!
Good luck w/ your situation, might also invest in some security cam for your Jeep. I'm not up on that stuff but maybe they make one that will send a chirp when someone gets near your Jeep, just to let them know you're watching???

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck w/ your situation, might also invest in some security cam for your Jeep. I'm not up on that stuff but maybe they make one that will send a chirp when someone gets near your Jeep, just to let them know you're watching???
These low life scummy thieves are not discouraged at all by alarms or security cameras. They are in and out in a few minutes. They know that police response time is way longer then the few minutes it takes them to saw out a converter. Cops agree. Sad but true for most larger cities.

All you can hope for is they go after something easier than what you have.

Good to know the 3.6 does not have easy to cut out and steal catalytic converters though.

Thanks again.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@sourdough way to get this thread back on track lol

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I reached out to Artec in December about skid plates for the 2-door 2.0L without eTorque and received this response:

Thanks for reaching out. We have not even looked at a 2door 2.0L and to the best of my knowledge are only going to be designing the 2door bellypans for the 3.6L JL. That I am aware of, I believe you are the first request we have for a 2 door 2.0L. Thanks!

Not a good sign... I would prefer to ditch all the factory skids I have been abusing and go with this system, but it's looking more like Metalcloak will be the route I go when it comes time.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0