Sponsored

In Search of 2-Door Skids...

DaveKight

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon / 2022 JLUR 4XE (On Order)
Occupation
Lawyer
After 5 weeks of waiting, I finally received my MetalCloak UnderCloak skid system for my 2 door. I also ordered the Overline rocker rails and installed them this weekend as well. Initial thoughts are that the welds are beautiful, and the plates are 7 gauge (3/16th) thick steel plating for the skids. I am very impressed with the craftsmanship of the armor, and the armor was packed very well. There were no dings or anything on the skids from shipping. The Transfer case, front gas tank, and transmission mopar skids were removed for the MC skids install. The install was fairly straight forward, except for finding the mounting locations for the front engine skid. I am excited to get to try these skids out on my wheeling trip at some point next month. All in all, I would highly recommend the skids.
Can you post up some photos? Thanks
Sponsored

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
Sure! I don’t have a ton of post install of the skids, but here is a picture of them staged on the floor, and the Jeep after I finished that day with the skids, rails and Rubi suspension. I can take more pictures tomorrow as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL In Search of 2-Door Skids... 9CF61ECD-5FBC-42C1-AA47-8D6571FC2649

Jeep Wrangler JL In Search of 2-Door Skids... 69E3C693-A8EA-4636-B993-916B30A30272

Last edited:

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
I have the Rock Hard skid system. Totally protective, but PIA to install. Definitely was not a great fit. I dont like the way it mashes the bottom of the factory fuel skid in a few places, and had to modify the drivers front plate that attaches to the suspension bolt to get it to fit. I also ended up with two wrong crossmembers because they sent the wrong parts. But hey, I can slide over anything now.

OP
OP

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have the Rock Hard skid system. Totally protective, but PIA to install. Definitely was not a great fit. I dont like the way it mashes the bottom of the factory fuel skid in a few places, and had to modify the drivers front plate that attaches to the suspension bolt to get it to fit. I also ended up with two wrong crossmembers because they sent the wrong parts. But hey, I can slide over anything now.

Cool! But without pictures it's just talk...:)

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone checked out the JCR offroad engine skid plate? Their description says it fits 2 and 4 door jl wranglers with no modification for the 2 door. Any experience with jcr build quality?

Sponsored

OP
OP

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone checked out the JCR offroad engine skid plate? Their description says it fits 2 and 4 door jl wranglers with no modification for the 2 door. Any experience with jcr build quality?

I looked at the JCR and their build and instruction videos look good-I went with the EVO Protek engine skid however as I also wanted their exhaust loop skid.
Still like the Artec bellypan system if and when they offer one for a 2-door and are willing to sell a combo system with steel for the engine/transfer and aluminum for the gas tank skid...Gain ground clearance and minimize additional weight.

Now the JCR Crusader Rock Sliders are the real deal! When I first bought my JLR I looked at them but as I just brought her home I was not interested in drilling a lot of holes in her beautiful Bikini body! I wanted more protection than the standard Rubicon rails but also wanted OEM fit and finish, went with Mopar Performance Rock Rails and like them a lot...However, I am kind of over 'not drilling holes' so there may be a set JCR Crusader Rock Sliders in my future...

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info 4xFun. I too like the artec plates, but with everything at an almost stand still, who knows when. I like the Evo and have no problem cutting to fit, I just don't feel I should pay full price for something if I have to modify it. As far as cutting/drilling the jeep, had that issue with my jk. I cut the hood to put heat vents in. But once you drill that first hole it's all downhill from there.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just heard from ASFIR...
Thank you for your interest in our products.
Firstly I would like to bring to your attention that p/n 547460 (Engine & Gear skid plate) is suited to the 3.6 L engine version of the Jeep JL whereas almost all our USA customers have the 2.0Lengine (our p/n 547459 suits the 2.0 L engine) so just wanted to be sure that you gave the right p/n in your message.
Both the Engine and Gear plate and the Transfer plate should be ordered via our website – just click on the items , fill in the USA as the "Ship To" country and then add to the "Buy Cart".
Regarding the Fuel Tank skid plate – due to dimension restrictions (long length), this item cannot be sent via the regular freight system and as such the freight charge is higher. The actual freight charge to the USA for this item is $ 284 but we are willing to subsidize this by 50%.
This plate cannot be ordered via the website, so if you want to purchase it , you would have to send me a formal order request by mail as follows:
P/N 547471 – US$ 253.00
Freight – US$ 142.00
Total - US$ 395 .00
Payment for this particular item must be made via our PayPal account ([email protected]) and as soon as the order mail is received and payment made, the order would be processed.
Best regards,

Jeep Wrangler JL In Search of 2-Door Skids... 1596544755836

Last edited:

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Unfortunately, they’ve never been able to test fit their skids for the manual.

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Great info on this thread guys, another 2 door subscribed!

Sponsored

OP
OP

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have added front and rear differential skids plus a FAD skid since my last post on this thread...

The rear diff skid is the most overbuilt one I have seen: Next Venture Motorsports, a combo skid and diff cover that protects the rear diff from the pinion to just past the rear diff cover. This thing is built from 3/8" and 1/4" steel and should just be called the 'Rock Crusher'...A little pricey but you will get what you paid for! They also offer a front diff skid system but I already had the order placed for the system below before I ever heard of Next Venture...

For the front diff I just used Metalcloak's skid which bolts to their front diff cover. It offers maximum clearance, good protection and does so at a very reasonable price. Also added Metalcloak's FAD skid at the same time. Not personally a fan of the gold color so had everything powder coated black.

Jeep Wrangler JL In Search of 2-Door Skids... Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 1.34.03 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL In Search of 2-Door Skids... IMG_1730

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I agree with FxFUN, Next Venture Motorsports' RDS is amazing.

Also, Next Venture Motorsports has started production on their Front Diff Skid (FDS).
Once the FDS that was ordered arrives (hopefully next week)... additional information to follow.

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Last night I installed the EVO ProTek engine/trans & exhaust loop skids. There is some 'trimming' you have to do on the passenger side rear skid on the 2-doors to clear the gas tank skid. I am including some pictures and a rough template of where & how much to trim. The area you have to trim is the breakformed edge which is structural and give the skid resistance to bending. That said, there is room on the top side of the side to add reinforcement and the area you trim is towards the rear of the skid just in front of the main factory cross member. I also added a rubber strip between the ProTek skid where I cut and the bottom of the OEM gas tank skid-I hate squeaks! Overall I think the skids are well made, offer a good value and will provide much needed protection on the trail.

As for the 'ultimate' skid design... (IMO) That would likely be a blending of Rock Hard (I like the idea of the two steel cross members Rock Hard adds and clearly it's an advantage when taking hard hits) and Artec. (Artec's replacement of the gas tank skid instead of adding another skid over it is brilliant-saves weight and increases ground clearance)

Thanks @4xFUN I am installing this today and was wondering why mine was hitting the fuel tank skid :) I didn't want to start cutting until I found some confirmation this was really needed! I watched a YouTube video of another guy installing this on his 2-door Rubicon, and no trimming. Not sure why. Same exact year and model from my understanding. Maybe a manual trans thing?

OP
OP

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @4xFUN I am installing this today and was wondering why mine was hitting the fuel tank skid :) I didn't want to start cutting until I found some confirmation this was really needed! I watched a YouTube video of another guy installing this on his 2-door Rubicon, and no trimming. Not sure why. Same exact year and model from my understanding. Maybe a manual trans thing?

Hope your install went well! I think the EVO skids are a great value and so far, have been pretty happy with them.

Maybe the guy on YouTube had a few pre-dents prior to installing the skids...My JLR is an auto, so I don't think its manual/auto thing.
Sponsored