Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Lol all automotive companies are pushing ESS. It's funny that some of you guys think you are smarter than the collective automotive engineers of this planet.
I would suggest, we are smarter than the dumb a$$e's that voted for the café laws on all vehicles. There should have been some common sense in the law. I.e. If I wanted good mpg I would not have bought a jeep.

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Not just for the climate change effects, but for overall air quality. Having personally sat in Los Angeles traffic, surrounded by 10,000 other vehicles at any given point in stop and go traffic, I can understand just why we want all vehicles, not just priuses, using less fuel. If just 10% of those vehicles on the road were utilizing start/stop the air quality is that much better. All the better it gets on more vehicle models as the technology improves, to include Jeeps.
Yes ESS makes more sense in city traffic, but what makes more sense is no jeep at all if one worries about such things.... Overall counting everything ESS probably pollutes same or more then if you didnt have ESS.

In the grand scheme of things ESS is an annoying yawner that doesnt do much other than giving the global warming crowd cover for owning a jeep. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
https://krcrtv.com/features/auto-ma...la-hundreds-of-millions-for-emissions-credits

BSG is to get away with the US emission regulation.
It is very telling - that the eruopean market they sell the 2.0T without BSG. I guess in the europen test cycle BSG does not improve fuel economy.

If this was really more torque/less fuel - they would sell this over there too.
That is interesting given the euronators are way more into the gloom and doom of climate change. The reason I didnt wait for the turbo was BSG, what a mess all that extra stuff might end up being. weighs more, heating/cooling lines to the BIG honkin battery and when that battery takes a poo I will be very glad I just have to replace that stupid ESS battery. Its GOT to be expensive.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yes ESS makes more sense in city traffic, but what makes more sense is no jeep at all if one worries about such things.... Overall counting everything ESS probably pollutes same or more then if you didnt have ESS.

In the grand scheme of things ESS is an annoying yawner that doesnt do much other than giving the global warming crowd cover for owning a jeep. lol
Its one of the things that helps make the Jeep a practical daily driver rather than the Ram I used to drive. Its about the steady improvements across the board, and not just having one or two fuel efficient vehicles while everyone else gets 10 MPG.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Its one of the things that helps make the Jeep a practical daily driver rather than the Ram I used to drive. Its about the steady improvements across the board, and not just having one or two fuel efficient vehicles while everyone else gets 10 MPG.
lol A jeep and a Ram? So you REALLY dont care about pollution or the climate. ;)

The new jeeps are practical compared to the older TJ and earlier models, but not practical at all as far as efficiency compare to other traffic vehicles. Like I said ESS gives many the cover they need but a pretty silly notion to think one is doing much and that's in the stock config. Start adding big tires, lift kits, weighing it down with bumpers n such. I've seen em in the city, very practical. But hey they have ESS so cool. ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Its a motorcycle battery. They aren't expensive.
Read it again. I was referring to the BSG battery.

I havent priced the ESS battery but it will likely be more then a motorcycle battery. Add to that, unless one goes through the chit show of tearing everything apart to get to it they will likely take it to a shop. Add $ for that. Now add the FACT that you have yet another batter to replace as well.

ESS= Electric Shit Show.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol A jeep and a Ram? So you REALLY dont care about pollution or the climate. ;)

The new jeeps are practical compared to the older TJ and earlier models, but not practical at all as far as efficiency compare to other traffic vehicles. Like I said ESS gives many the cover they need but a pretty silly notion to think one is doing much and that's in the stock config. Start adding big tires, lift kits, weighing it down with bumpers n such. I've seen em in the city, very practical. But hey they have ESS so cool. ;)
Oh yeah exactly why I also have a Honda that we get 40+ and a Small motorcycle I get 50+ with... :facepalm:

So am I not allowed to have a utility vehicle as well as my boring passenger car? I suppose I should just try to drive in the snow with the Accord as well, with its slick highway touring tires eh?

When it was time to get a new vehicle, I picked something I can drive practically, and believe it or not the Jeep fits my needs well. Better city driveability than the old truck (That got good mileage on the highway with Multi-displacement), the ability to drive in the snow, carry a decent amount of cargo when I need it to.... ect.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I will be very glad I just have to replace that stupid ESS battery. Its GOT to be expensive.

I havent priced the ESS battery but it will likely be more then a motorcycle battery. Add to that, unless one goes through the chit show of tearing everything apart to get to it they will likely take it to a shop. Add $ for that. Now add the FACT that you have yet another batter to replace as well.

ESS= Electric Shit Show.
So expanding on your quote, it looks like you're referring to your own vehicle rather than the 48V battery...

Just watching the Jeepinformant video, the ESS battery really doesn't look all that difficult to get to, and it looks just like the one I have in my Yamaha.

Now as far as your point of the 48V battery, yes I'm pretty sure its expensive. But considering getting the 2.0 only adds $1000 over the price of the 3.6 probably not THAT expensive, considering all the other components they have to install as well.

Edit: https://parts.hilltopchryslerjeepdo...yxk16TZTpfblq92jzLlu_WKwEUeS3c4hoCd1MQAvD_BwE

It has a $1575 MSRP, so I'm wondering what the base cost of the battery itself is with no markup...

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

I havent priced the ESS battery but it will likely be more then a motorcycle battery.
ESS battery is significantly cheaper than the BSG battery because it's not liquid cooled. Only $100

View attachment 166539

IMG_1514.PNG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I believe it’s round, but have always wondered if two people on opposite sides of the earth each dropped a slice of bread on the ground at the same time, world the whole world become a giant sandwich?
Sponsored