In praise (or not) of ESS? **NO POLITICS**

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I barely notice it. If I want it off I hit the button. Mostly I’m used to lifting my brake foot just prior to going.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
If Jeep had announced a free option to turn off ESS every one here who hates it would love the option. A free switch to deactivate ESS. What a concept. After using ESS for almost a year it's second nature to just push the button when I don't want ESS to activate. We push a button to start the Jeep, another to engage lockers on the Rubicon (Ha! Don't buy a Rubicon. Too many buttons!!) another to open or close the windows, then there's the radio and HVAC and the seat heaters and on and on. But add one button for ESS and it's the end of the world as we know it. :)

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I definitely don’t see it as “free money “.
Maybe if you only plan on keeping your Jeep a couple years. We don’t know what the long term costs of maintaining and repairing the system will be yet. I’ve got a suspicion it will negate any fuel savings.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
"You say it's a "FACT" that "nearly all" of the Scientist and climatologist subscribe to the "climate change" theory that they conveniently had to change from "global warming" in a nice slight of hand after we had some of the coldest and longest winters in years."

Regardless of what side you sit on as it regards ESS, Global Warming, if it exists, what is causing it, will ESS help, what we can do about it, how much, and predictions for what it will do to us in the future, nobody but nobody can argue that its metrics are not captured in--assuming it was even the case--the climate data of a few winters.

That's like trying to prove that nature's carving tool: water, can't slice through rock by taking rock thickness measurements at 5 minute intervals, comparing the two, finding no appreciation reduction in the size of the rock and concluding beyond a shadow of a doubt that water hitting rock has no affect on it ever.

I truly hope the poster who said this was trolling. It scares me to think he/she subscribes to their beliefs based on such sampling data.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I've experienced an issue with ESS on my manual transmission where I've depressed the clutch, put it in first gear, and tried to go without the engine turning back on. So I've had to [quickly] put it back into neutral, take my foot off the clutch, and depress the break and start the process over in order for the engine to turn back on. This has happened a few times...most commonly in medians and other scenarios when I'm in neutral, almost stopped, and ESS and stopped the engine--but not a complete stop with the break fully engaged as it would be at a stop light/sign.

I suppose it could be because of my specific driving style...but it feels very unnerving in the moment when you want/need your vehicle to move and the engine isn't on.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I've owned my JLR with a manual for about a month and 1250 miles. My engine starts almost instantaneously as soon as my foot touches the clutch pedal. The engine is fully started well before I get from neutral to first gear.
If yours is acting any differently then it's NOT acting normally. You should have the dealer look at it and get it fixed.

Not sure how there can be discourse about global warming/climate change and avoid politics.
This is not a thread about Global Warming. It's a thread about ESS. That so many here immediately jump on the Global Warming hate train in a thread about ESS tells a sad story.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
It’s amazing how many are so out of sorts thinking the ESS is causing excessive wear restarting the engine
The motor is up to temp and oil is everywhere it needs so be. A start up at operating temp and with only a few minutes after shit down will not cause more wear than when the motor is firing on all cylinders. Remember even at temp, oil still is viscous and takes a bit to drain through the valleys into the pan and there is also anti flow back valves in the system to keep oil up in the pump ready to go again

Thank god there wasn’t forums around when they barred the use of leaded fuel. Unleaded fuel caused more wear and tear in the valve train, wasn’t anywhere near the octane level as leaded and was a more stable burn, but the government deemed it bad for the environment and our health... those bastards :CWL:

Anyways quick example of my 383 that even at 160psi oil pressure, the oil just flows slowly through the valve train. Shut it off for a minute that oil will still be there

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Than hit the button to turn it off.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
"You say it's a "FACT" that "nearly all" of the Scientist and climatologist subscribe to the "climate change" theory that they conveniently had to change from "global warming" in a nice slight of hand after we had some of the coldest and longest winters in years."

Regardless of what side you sit on as it regards ESS, Global Warming, if it exists, what is causing it, will ESS help, what we can do about it, how much, and predictions for what it will do to us in the future, nobody but nobody can argue that its metrics are not captured in--assuming it was even the case--the climate data of a few winters.

That's like trying to prove that nature's carving tool: water, can't slice through rock by taking rock thickness measurements at 5 minute intervals, comparing the two, finding no appreciation reduction in the size of the rock and concluding beyond a shadow of a doubt that water hitting rock has no affect on it ever.

I truly hope the poster who said this was trolling. It scares me to think he/she subscribes to their beliefs based on such sampling data.
So what you are advocating in this case, is a knee jerk reaction to what may or may not be a human based issue. Never mind that we recently left a mini-ice age, so of course weather is going to be different.

We aren't talking about something like cleaning up the ocean, which would have an actual measurable affect. Instead, you THINK this might help, but have 0 proof. Meanwhile, there are scientists on both sides pointing at opposite conclusions. How about we worry about finding the truth before we start slapping things on our lives that may or may not help.

Sponsored

MooseMob

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Mojito!
Occupation
Retired
My last vehicle had it, took a bit to get used to. My 115 hp scooter in Thailand even has it.

So when I sit at a stoplight 4-5 minutes waiting my turn, I am OK with the engine being off. If it were a '63 cadillac I would worry about issues due to start/stop. Today's engines are built stronger/tighter.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
I used to like ESS. One time I was using it and it stalled my Jeep with traffic coming in the opposite direction. That soured my view so I now bypass it.

For the tree huggers that are fighting for environmental protection, why the hell did you buy a Jeep?
Sponsored