Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Beyond that, I've also owned vehicles with cylinder deactivation. I don't think that's a big thing in the Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar world, but it sure is in the Chevrolet/GMC vehicles I've owned. Also another tactic for cheating the MPG testing.
The Cylinder Deactivation system was codeveloped by Diemler-Chrysler and GM, so the system that operates on the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi is the same. It works wonders on highway fuel mileage. I would get low 20s in my 2010 Ram on highway trips. However when I moved back home and my commute changed from a highway to a city commute that dramatically changed everything. Downsizing into a vehicle with a good ESS sytem (Ford's is highly annoying) was one of the things I wanted when It was time to replace the truck. The 2.0 was a late availability so I went with the V6 and I'm not disappointed in how it works in town. :)
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I thought the ESS in my JLUR 3.6 manual trans would be a complete joke. Turns out it actually works pretty flawless. But if I swap my muffler to something with a little more rumble it'll be a little embarrassing to have surrounding people clearly hear the engine die at a stoplight...haha

Drumr04

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I thought the ESS in my JLUR 3.6 manual trans would be a complete joke. Turns out it actually works pretty flawless. But if I swap my muffler to something with a little more rumble it'll be a little embarrassing to have surrounding people clearly hear the engine die at a stoplight...haha
I've had a few people look over at me when that happens lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think its common enough now that people will know the difference between a stall and an auto start/stop. People learning manual transmission aren't normally able to pull away immediately after a restart from a stall. At least when I was learning. :giggle:

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Ess and the wiring crap is a joke! Left me stranded the other day Jeep wouldnā€™t jump off. Had to get on the forums and figure out what to unhook and where to hook a jumper up to. Stupid stupid stupid.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ess and the wiring crap is a joke! Left me stranded the other day Jeep wouldnā€™t jump off. Had to get on the forums and figure out what to unhook and where to hook a jumper up to. Stupid stupid stupid.
A failure that could be an "inconvenience " is one thing, a failure that could kill you is quite another. I prefer to have control over when/ if I enable the ESS

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
A failure that could be an "inconvenience " is one thing, a failure that could kill you is quite another. I prefer to have control over when/ if I enable the ESS
Agreed , I the super chips trail dash 2 so itā€™s turned off. The wiring crap is a pain in the ass though. Not to mention like you said the dangers.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Agreed , I the super chips trail dash 2 so itā€™s turned off. The wiring crap is a pain in the ass though. Not to mention like you said the dangers.
How about the "Smart Stop/Stop" wiring harness jumper I see on this forum ? It's plug in, meant to be like 5 minutes install. I would get one, but at $135 , steep for me. I just do the reflexive "Stab the Button" every time I start up...

Vipersnake

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLRU
ESS is the worst part about the JL by far, I hate having to shut it off EVERY time I start my car. At least make it a permanent option to use it or not like in the settings of your Uconnect. Then we would all be happy.

Things I also hate about it....It has to be harder on the starter. It turns off too late sometimes and turns back on when I'm not ready to go yet randomly even though my foot is in the exact same position and pressure. 90% of the time I'm only stopping for 10 seconds or less so at that point it really does more harm than good.

For people who care about emissions and the environment, get an electric car.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The Smart Stop/Start isn't cheap but remembering to hit the button 10,000 times over the life of the Jeep becomes a huge annoyance. Mine arrives tomorrow.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
ESS is the worst part about the JL by far, I hate having to shut it off EVERY time I start my car. At least make it a permanent option to use it or not like in the settings of your Uconnect. Then we would all be happy.

Things I also hate about it....It has to be harder on the starter. It turns off too late sometimes and turns back on when I'm not ready to go yet randomly even though my foot is in the exact same position and pressure. 90% of the time I'm only stopping for 10 seconds or less so at that point it really does more harm than good.

For people who care about emissions and the environment, get an electric car.
The NHTSA sets the CAFE standards that give more credits to non-latching stop-start systems. If FCA made the button latching, they would have been forced to get better fuel economy some other way.

Vipersnake

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLRU
The NHTSA sets the CAFE standards that give more credits to non-latching stop-start systems. If FCA made the button latching, they would have been forced to get better fuel economy some other way.
I get the reasoning. I'm still going to disable it myself, it's such a hassle.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Before I got my Jeep I just assumed that I wouldnā€™t like the ESS and would be in the ā€˜turn it off every time clubā€™. However Iā€™ve never turned it off and find it unobtrusive.

Now that itā€™s broken I really miss it! Damn.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
The Smart Stop/Start isn't cheap but remembering to hit the button 10,000 times over the life of the Jeep becomes a huge annoyance. Mine arrives tomorrow.
I bought one about a month ago, and it was the best decision I've made for my JL so far! Haha!
Sponsored