Sponsored

In praise (or not) of ESS? **NO POLITICS**

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Any specific video I should check out? I watched dozens of them on the 2.0 before I wound up buying my Jeep and not waiting around for the 2.0 delays to stop.
The YouTube on the 3.6 Dodge Ram with BSG. Same system as the 2.0 BSG
I recently read that battery manufacturers are upset because people are disabling their ESS (manually or automatically) much more frequently than anticipated and the manufacturers are consequently not selling as many replacement batteries as they planned for. Tells me that ESS eats batteries. Bye bye $20 per year gasoline savings, and perhaps even any carbon savings.
Federal Emissions Mandates guarantee that we get ESS, like it or not. Wait until more " mandates" hit in 2020
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You're allowed to post a link bud. I've watched dozens of videos on the BSG and I'm sure there are hundreds more on YouTube that I haven't watched. How am I supposed to know what specific video you are referring to if you don't post the link?

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands

Federal Emissions Mandates guarantee that we get ESS, like it or not. Wait until more " mandates" hit in 2020

I’ve also heard rumblings that soon we may not be able to override the ESS at all on new vehicles.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You're allowed to post a link bud. I've watched dozens of videos on the BSG and I'm sure there are hundreds more on YouTube that I haven't watched. How am I supposed to know what specific video you are referring to if you don't post the link?
It's a Jeep Thing, you're actually expected to make an effort and look it up, BUD.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Jeep Thing, you're actually expected to make an effort and look it up, BUD.
As I've said before... I've watched DOZENS of videos, you need to tell me what specific one you're talking about.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve also heard rumblings that soon we may not be able to override the ESS at all on new vehicles.
I had that conversation with my sales guy the other day. I figure "Big Brother" will soon disable the disable on the ESS. Of course some enterprising young person will inevitably come up with a disable of the disabled disable. Ummm, did I say that right? :angel:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had that conversation with my sales guy the other day. I figure "Big Brother" will soon disable the disable on the ESS. Of course some enterprising young person will inevitably come up with a disable of the disabled disable. Ummm, did I say that right? :angel:
This is the start of the great ESS conspiracy :giggle:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This is the start of the great ESS conspiracy :giggle:
I knew it, I just knew it Sean. I'm a gettin' out my tin foil hat. Them black helicopters ain't gonna get me, now way. :punch:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I knew it, I just knew it Sean. I'm a gettin' out my tin foil hat. Them black helicopters ain't gonna get me, now way. :punch:
Be careful the "System" doesn't get you for this... lol

2KI1VsV.gif

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Anyone have any experience with the smart stop product? Looking to purchase one, just curious to see if there have been issues using it or if it tosses any codes at the dealer?

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
Many members have posted reviews in our sponsor section: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/smartstopstart.115/

There are also numerous reviews for the JL on our testimonial page: https://www.smartstopstart.com/testimonials.html

There are absolutely no side effects with the Wrangler JL version of this product and it does not generate fault codes.

We also also include a 90-day money back guarantee and a 3-year replacement warranty.

I am always here to answer questions.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Manufacturers only get half credit from the EPA for ESS if it’s equipped with an “off button”.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I've seen a lot of negative comments about ESS and I don't get it....

For me personally my experience of ESS is:

1 - it saves fuel and money
2 - it reduces emissions that contribute to climate change
3 - I actually like sitting at junctions or in traffic without the noise and vibration of the engine running (it's hardly the smoothest engine in the world)
4 - it reduces engine wear
5 - the engine always starts within the split second of taking my foot off the brake and moving to the accelerator so quickly and smoothly it's never an inconvenience

I don't subscribe to the view that the constant stop start increases wear on the starter motor etc to any great degree - pretty much every new car here in Europe comes with this system, but if there are other real life experiences I'll listen...

So what's not to like...?
I can appreciate your views, however, I do not subscribe to any of them. If you spend some time and do a bit of research, you'll learn that ESS, or whatever names are applied to this process is simply a stop-gap measure for the auto manufacturers to simply cheat, of sorts, the EPA fuel tests that they must participate in. This is a global process, across the fleet of vehicles as a whole. It is not, however, a real fix to the MPG crisis they must meet as time marches forth. Just a band-aid to their long-running issues. Keep in mind that FCA gets a little extra credit for their system (as do other manufacturers) where ESS simply turns itself back on each time you enter the vehicle. Thankfully I've disabled all of this nonsense with my TaserJL mini.

As to the functioning of the system, I'll agree, the system works pretty seamlessly. However, I'm old school and I do not like my engine turning off at every light. I'm actually embarrassed when it does turn off to be quite honest. Just how I feel. Beyond that, I've also owned vehicles with cylinder deactivation. I don't think that's a big thing in the Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar world, but it sure is in the Chevrolet/GMC vehicles I've owned. Also another tactic for cheating the MPG testing.

As to your comments, it's true the constant start-stop routine DOES cause additional wear and tear on the starter motor. If you spend time reading any of the owner's manuals, they will tell you this. However to combat that, typically the manufacturers install "heavy duty" starters on the vehicles, which allow them to tolerate this start-stop cycle without as much wear as a normal starter that might be installed.

As for climate change, Of course, I'm sure we could all argue this, again I'm old school, and to me, the verbiage "climate change" is and has always been simply a political tactic. Are we polluting the atmosphere -- YES... However this planet has been around for a very, very long time, and the little we, as humans, are contributing are nothing to what this planet has seen in the past in as far as pollution. What the media fails to inform everyone of, is the fact that the earth orbits on a long orbit around the sun, this was caused by a collision when the earth was very young. However, this orbit cycle is called the Milankovitch Cycle. If you spend a little time informing yourself, you'll understand why we have global temperature changes which in turn causes ice ages, and merely isn't a political issue, but rather simply.. nature.

Otherwise, enjoy your ESS. Mine's off :)

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It adjusts engine rpms to match shifting of automatic transmission, but is not a propulsive motor. Check out the YouTube , very enlightening.
Here is what you referenced:

Once the truck is rolling forward and accelerating, engine revs are reduced and matched to the next gear with the electric motor. Ram is actually getting some regeneration from each of those upshifts—a negligible amount, but it saves the transmission clutches that normally do the task. On deceleration, the motor actually blips the engine to help match revs and smooth downshifts. The electric motor and power systems can switch from full output to full regeneration in as little as 60 milliseconds, but the limitation is the belt system.
Sponsored