In praise (or not) of ESS? **NO POLITICS**

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I think this thread is still having issues with the differences between the 2.0 & 3.6 ESS.

The 2.0 system uses the BSG to re-start the motor. Does the 3.6 operate in the same way?
I'm interested in how the motor choice affected ESS like/dislike. Late last week I posted a poll to differentiate the motor and ESS like/dislike but nobody even replied. Thought it would have been an interesting discussion.

EDIT: I sit corrected.. there have been a handful of responses. So far 10 to 2 in favor of ESS total.

Advertisement

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A bit less than a year ago (Apr 10, 2018), C&D issued an article titles "The Real Reason Stop/Start Systems Won't Stay Turned Off" that offers some interesting insights. Negative feedback on ESS is "extremely low", and that the off button was added to address the minority's opposition to the ESS system.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

The ESS Off button is non-latching (meaning you have to press it every time), "Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the EPA." Stop / start is estimated to boost fuel economy by 4-5%. Apparently Americans are more resistant to the new technology than folks in Europe, Japan, and elsewhere (shocker).

So those of you who want FCA to make the ESS disable permanent, fuggetaboutit... ain't gonna happen. CAFE standards aren't going away anytime soon. There are multiple aftermarket options to do this so I really don't get all the vehement reactions... seems like a silly thing to get all worked up about.
From the article linked above, will this work on the JL?
That has not stopped some people from turning to the internet for ways to shut it off for good. In one example on YouTube, a young man plugs a trailer-light tester into the hitch receiver of a 2018 Ford F-150 to show viewers how to permanently latch an otherwise nonlatching stop/start system.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From the article linked above, will this work on the JL?
There are a number of options out there to permanently disable the ESS system on the JL. Tazer, Superchips, and SmartStopStart to name a few all offer ways to disable the ESS system.

Personally, if I wanted to disable the ESS I would go with the SmartStopStart system:

From their website:
'18-'19 Jeep Wrangler JL (3.6L gas, 2.0L BSG gas and EXPORT 2.2 Diesel). The Wrangler JL SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
If ESS didn’t kick in the engine when you are shifting to park for a brief moment and then off again as you proceed to turn off the car I might have been fine with it.

Makes me cringe every time.
EXACTLY!!!! This aspect of the feature, where it turns the motor back on because it is shifted into park (typically to then be immediately turned off) is absolutely moronic and must be bad on the motor! ESS should be a user configurable preference within the control panel and I would much rather not have the headache of a second battery (that creates it's own logistical issues). I wish I could turn it off all the time so I didn't have to remember to turn it off each time I start it.

Unfortunately, the act of chasing any "politically correct" ideology rarely provides either utilitarian or economic benefit.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There are a number of options out there to permanently disable the ESS system on the JL. Tazer, Superchips, and SmartStopStart to name a few all offer ways to disable the ESS system.

Personally, if I wanted to disable the ESS I would go with the SmartStopStart system:

From their website:
'18-'19 Jeep Wrangler JL (3.6L gas, 2.0L BSG gas and EXPORT 2.2 Diesel). The Wrangler JL SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

I am mostly interested in the trailer light tester because of the cost: $3.99

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am mostly interested in the trailer light tester because of the cost: $3.99
No idea if that works on the JL or not. Since it's not a vehicle used to tow a lot, I have doubts the ESS would be tied into the trailer light circuit.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty
Politics aside, @JAY was the one who requested we keep politics out of the thread. So it's pretty disrespectful, considering he runs the site, to disregard his request while also crowing that you don't give a rats ass.

He has better things to do than scrape virtual graffiti off the walls here. We're not teenagers.

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Politics aside, @JAY was the one who requested we keep politics out of the thread. So it's pretty disrespectful, considering he runs the site, to disregard his request while also crowing that you don't give a rats ass.

He has better things to do than scrape virtual graffiti off the walls here. We're not teenagers.
Not sure how there can be discourse about global warming/climate change and avoid politics.

tawsenior

First Name
Troy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door 2.0T - Mojito!
As a JL owner with the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder, the ESS works just fine. I didn't think I would like it, but I have gotten used to it. More importantly, there is no delay when letting off of the brake because the electric motor provides the drive momentum to make up for the delay of the gas engine restarting. I can't speak for the 3.6 other than my one experience in the Cherokee loaner they gave me to use while having some work done. In that vehicle, ESS sucked. I turned it off everytime I started it up.

Aaron

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
I liked it. Saved gas. The only thing I didn't like was when you stop, it would go off, then I'd switch to park and it would start back up for no reason! Unfortunately, mine NEVER comes on anymore, ever. Since it stopped operating, my average fuel economy has dropped by about 1mpg.

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement