Sponsored

In light of recent events, who is running dash/rear Cameras?

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Blackvue front and rear for me .. no issues yet with the front sticking to the windshield, but if I do I will get the bracket they have to mount it to the rearview mirrow. Rear camera mounted on the roll bar behind the seat and I get a pretty good field of view out the back window .. all hardwired ... with the drivers and laws in SoCal, it is good to have but hope I never need it

MOABGuy

First Name
Som
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MOAB'19
I run a pair of these mounted to gopro mounts, powered by usb extensions on aux 1. I swapped the batteries with super capacitors to handle the Arizona heat.

I like them because they are low profile, and very reliable. Not super fancy but pretty inexpensive and customize able.

814UnaNBpqL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Actio...&qid=1547727963&sr=8-5&keywords=mobius+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Actio...4BMVAADXDDZ&psc=1&refRID=BRXNPGXXW4BMVAADXDDZ
Hey NathanG, do you have a picture of the camera in the vehicle?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
First off, I appreciate the feedback from my accident thread! After thinking about it and how I run camera's (go pro) full time on my motorcycle as insurance after being hit on a motorcycle years ago, it made me realize I need something on the jeep. I am unfamiliar so I thought I would reach out to people on here and see if anybody has any recommendations in terms of dash-cams. I also want something to aim out of the back window in case something similar happens to what I went through this past weekend. Thanks guys!
Hi Clark. I'm a happy owner of the Blacksys CH-200 dual dash camera that I purchased from blackboxmycar.com .

The camera is a strong product and the firm I bought it from has answered my after purchase questions very quickly and accurately with phone and text message support.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ut-non-powered-mirror.5544/page-2#post-204490

It's gotten to a point where I feel almost not ready to go out into the world without one; much like that's been the case for us with the emergence of cell phones over the last 30 years.

The only thing this camera doesn't do that more higher end ones do is allow you to observe the cameras real time from your smartphone when the rig is parked when you're at some distal point away from the rig, or notify that phone, when, say, people get close to your rig.

Equally important is how you wish to install the camera if you want it to film while the rig is parked. I talked about this in the link. Cameras that do this have 3 energy wires: one ground and two hot wires: one hot that's expected to be energized all the time (i.e. connected directly to the rig's batteries or a sold separately power pack) and one hot that's energized only when the start button on the rig is pressed twice (whether you've pressed the brake pedal to crank the engine or not), this latter wire known as the accessory hot wire. (Accessory outlets may energize with one press of the rig's starter button: I forget.)

Finding an accessory source of power is easy. For example the cigarette lighter plug in the front of the rig. A battery wire though may be a little trickier. My choice was the cigarette lighter plug in the cargo area (if you have one...it comes with rigs outfitted with a subwoofer in the back) which is always, by factory default, energized. Snazzier installs involve tapping the power mirror's (if you have one: I don't) wires. A video on this is in the link.

Many cameras, like this one, feature a programmable cutoff for the camera when in ***parking mode based on the voltage of the rig's batteries. I have mine set for the camera to stop recording in parking mode should the rig's batteries drop down to 12.4 Volts or lower: its highest threshold setting.

Rather than continue to talk to this: hit me up with your specific questions.

Good luck. May you never need the cameras going forward: just have them.

*** parking mode: the state of events that occurs when the battery wire is hot, but the accessory wire is not.

======

Side anecdote: on two occasions people have blown stop signs on me and gotten out of their cars to yell at me. My response, "you blew the stop sign, see the dash cam?," as I point.

Their response: they shut up and got back in their cars. The feeling....justifaction: a new word I just coined that's an amalgamation of justice and satisfaction!;)

Last edited:

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey NathanG, do you have a picture of the camera in the vehicle?

These cams were originally designed for drones or rc or for a lightweight sports cam. They have no display. They can be easily configured with a software over usb to be used as a dash cam with loop recording and auto record with power on. There are lots of instructions for this online.

I mounted them with a small gopro adapter and a gopro to tripod adapter. I just screwed it into the plastic near my rear view mirror with some short self tapping screws. (GASP) You can buy usb chargers with a long wire designed for hard wiring on amazon.

For the rear I cobbled together a similar mount with some gopro arms I had lying around.

The nice thing is you get a much better view out the rear than you would with an all in one camera. They record to micro sd cards and loop record in 1080p. I do recommend installing the super capacitor battery as they are much more durable in the heat. A camera without this will likely not last thru the summer if its hot where you live.

The other nice thing about this setup is you can run with no roof and still get rear video. You can see my home made sun shield for leaving it parked. I have been known to leave the cameras running thru the Aux menu by enabling constant power if parked at a trail head with the roof off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZHKGRXC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Cha...1-2-spons&keywords=micro+usb+hard+wired&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Actio...1547764154&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mobius&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Actio...7SNDHEH56XC&psc=1&refRID=0472H15R87SNDHEH56XC

IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg

Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’m not sure why a car manufacturers haven’t offered front and rear cameras built-in from the factory. It probably wouldn’t cost more than $50. Maybe even make it mandatory like backup cameras.

I bet it would cut down on road rage incidents and cut insurance rates as well.

OP
OP
AlrightAlready

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;)I realize I may have said something confusing in my above post when explaining parking mode.

The original text:

*** parking mode: the state of events that occurs when the battery wire is hot, but the accessory wire is not.

should read:

*** parking mode: the state of events that occurs when the battery wire is Bar Rafaeli, but the accessory wire is me.;)

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited

Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
These things can get pretty expensive and most of the time price is going to determine features so I would say figure out how much you want to spend and then find the features you want in one that doesn't break the bank. I always like to start with the best and see what it has to offer and then work my way down to find the best price vs features.

Some things that were already pointed out but will determine what models you will choose from:
  1. Do you want something that records in a 4k resolution or are you fine with something lower (1440p, 1080p, 720p)? It might end up being a combo of both (4k front / 1080p rear) but higher end camera's usually have a better camera sensor that should have better low light visibility and will pick up license plates etc when the vehicles are moving. There are some that will blur the plate a bit if the vehicles are not stopped or moving slowly.
  2. Do you want to record when parked or only when driving? If so, do you plan on buying a battery backup that the camera will run on?
  3. Do you want a park mode? So when something taps the vehicle it will start recording and actually start from 5-10 seconds earlier.
  4. Do you want to record to a cloud service? The video is uploaded to a server on the internet.
  5. Do you want the ability to view the camera remotely? So while in your house you can pull up the camera on your phone.
  6. Do you want an easily accessible mute button so you can turn off/on the mic when needed?
One other thing to keep in mind when dealing with rear window tint. If mounting this on the rear window and there is tint, it may start to peel back the tint at some point and if you ever want to remove it there may an issue. Like was mentioned earlier, mounting it on the rear bar might be a better solution in some cases.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
What's the next best thing to have besides a dashcam?

Ans: A gun to shoot the dumbass
I got the Owl dashcam. It’s always on and you can look at camera over LTE.

https://owlcam.com/
I like what I saw yesterday, but I would like to see another camera for the back as just the one camera has it's limitations for covering the rear.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Some prefer to have a screen on their dash cam so these may not be ideal but feature wise they will give you something to look for.

BlackVue DR900S-2CH

Thinkware F800 Pro

You can definitely find some that will be cheaper and they will do basically the same thing. Will they have as good as sensor? Maybe, so you will want to do a little research to find the best one for you.

MOABGuy

First Name
Som
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MOAB'19
These cams were originally designed for drones or rc or for a lightweight sports cam. They have no display. They can be easily configured with a software over usb to be used as a dash cam with loop recording and auto record with power on. There are lots of instructions for this online.

I mounted them with a small gopro adapter and a gopro to tripod adapter. I just screwed it into the plastic near my rear view mirror with some short self tapping screws. (GASP) You can buy usb chargers with a long wire designed for hard wiring on amazon.

For the rear I cobbled together a similar mount with some gopro arms I had lying around.

The nice thing is you get a much better view out the rear than you would with an all in one camera. They record to micro sd cards and loop record in 1080p. I do recommend installing the super capacitor battery as they are much more durable in the heat. A camera without this will likely not last thru the summer if its hot where you live.

The other nice thing about this setup is you can run with no roof and still get rear video. You can see my home made sun shield for leaving it parked. I have been known to leave the cameras running thru the Aux menu by enabling constant power if parked at a trail head with the roof off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZHKGRXC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Cha...1-2-spons&keywords=micro+usb+hard+wired&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Actio...1547764154&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mobius&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Actio...7SNDHEH56XC&psc=1&refRID=0472H15R87SNDHEH56XC

IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg
Thank you for the details, this is very lightweight!

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
The YI dash cam (an Amazon Choice $49) is great and has served me well. If you have a Hardtop mounting a 2nd camera in the rear would be easy with the 12v supply in the back. So for $100 you can have front and back cams that are reliable powered via usb.
Sponsored