Sponsored

In light of recent events, who is running dash/rear Cameras?

JeepguyDE

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have a a Thinkware 550 in my Jeep Rubicon JK 2dr with a rear camera attached. I purchased it 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. I ordered a Jeep JLU Rubicon should be here in a couple of weeks and I intend to get the Thinkware F800pro for the new jeep. The screen on the 550 is too small to use for viewing and I never use the screen. The F800pro can stream to you phone and has a smaller footprint. Hope that helps!

https://www.us.thinkware.com/product
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Much to my dismay, a read another post on the bboard that detailed how all these safety features that prevent or at least document accidents not being a particular motorist's fault have served to raise, not lower insurance rates due to the expense of replacing said items (as standard equipment) when damaged by such accidents. I speak to what I thought was @JoeBelt's solid point above about manufacturers offering them at point of sale.

There is no question that collision avoidance equipment--even if you dislike it--is reducing accidents and the amount of money insurance companies have to pay out--especially in no-fault States where damage costs to the innocent driver can't easily be subrogated.

I would really like to see the raw and actuarial data, as I'm sure each State's Insurance commissions are or should be examining, on how the costs of Insurance companies having to less frequently payout on less accidents, otherwise greater sums, have offset more frequent and so called cheaper repairs of years gone by.

If not for simply the deliberately staged "in reverse collision falsely blamed on the rear motorist," or the "quick stop scams with front cars filled with passengers," equipment like this is an Insurance company' savior. They should be offering discounts for it; not charging a premium for it.

I hope they are/will, and/or be mandated by Insurance regulators to.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I wonder about the resolution on the rear cameras if it is good enough to read the license plates and get a good picture of the driver. In Texas, if we have this kind of information, we can send it to the Department of Public Safety and they will confront the dumbass driver.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I bet it would cut down on road rage incidents and cut insurance rates as well.
If one insurance company isnā€™t paying out on a claim then the adverse insurance company is paying out. Itā€™s a zero sum game, so insurance rates wouldn't be universally cut.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder about the resolution on the rear cameras if it is good enough to read the license plates and get a good picture of the driver. In Texas, if we have this kind of information, we can send it to the Department of Public Safety and they will confront the dumbass driver.
Even at 1080p itā€™s pretty hard with a wide angle lens. Everyone looks real far away when they are right in front of you. Mostly we can tell who is at fault.

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
First off, I appreciate the feedback from my accident thread! After thinking about it and how I run camera's (go pro) full time on my motorcycle as insurance after being hit on a motorcycle years ago, it made me realize I need something on the jeep. I am unfamiliar so I thought I would reach out to people on here and see if anybody has any recommendations in terms of dash-cams. I also want something to aim out of the back window in case something similar happens to what I went through this past weekend. Thanks guys!
I have a Blacksys Front/Rear cam w/ zero issues. The wire for the rear cam is currently gerry-rigged w/ zip ties along the sport bar (to be improved whenever I take the hardtop off).

My only complaint is that the recordings are in the AVI format and not quite iOS friendly.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've been running BlackVue cameras for years now. I have the 750 on my JL and had the older 450 on my JK. They've been invaluable.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I run front and rear on mine. Good for insurance purposes. Also used it to fight a ā€œfailure to use turn signalā€ ticket.

I went to blackboxmycar.com to read reviews/ installs before purchasing.

gabeguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubi (SOLD) , 2007 FJ Cruiser, 1954 Willys
Has anyone thought about running motorcycle dash cameras? With running our Jeeps naked, it just seems to me that you could run both camera stealthy. I'm looking at the Innovv K2, a little pricey, but pretty much comes with everything. Check it out & give me your thoughts.
www.innovv.com/innovv-k2

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone thought about running motorcycle dash cameras? With running our Jeeps naked, it just seems to me that you could run both camera stealthy. I'm looking at the Innovv K2, a little pricey, but pretty much comes with everything. Check it out & give me your thoughts.
www.innovv.com/innovv-k2
Mounting cameras outside might be problematic with dirt/dust. Mounting these inside is no better than other systems.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
www.innovv.com/innovv-k2
This is why I like the BlackVue. It's one of the smaller dashcams out there and if you mount it directly in front of the rear view mirror, it's not really noticeable.
Sponsored