First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I rear-ended a Honda CRV yesterday. No one was hurt. It was one of those situations where the car in front is making a right on red, takes off, and then changes their mind and slams on the brakes. My fault, but why do people do that?

Bottom line: Their rear end was completely crushed. My front bumper (Hard Rock steel) had a scratch on the plastic bezel (easily replaced) that houses the fog light. That's it.

The Hard Rock bumper cut that Honda up like a can-opener. I'm not gloating; just amazed at the durability. In fact, the person I hit said "I know what my next car will be".

[Put a real crimp in my day]

p.s. I'm buying a Diesel Rubicon later this year and I'm looking forward to having the safety nannies that aren't on my JK.

Would the Advanced Safety Group have helped in this situation - or - would it have been a crap shoot?

damage.jpg
Sponsored

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
It would have reacted faster than you can, and hit the brakes first. Likely would have avoided the collision.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It would have reacted faster than you can, and hit the brakes first. Likely would have avoided the collision.
In theory.

The only problem is the system false positives so often that you end up disabling the auto-brake as it's downright dangerous. A thread is on here over this. Mine false positives once or twice a week.

There have been people who ended up rear-ended due to a false positive and the auto-brake being enabled.

Typical Italian electronics. You know what Italians say over auto electronics? "If you want them to work buy an Audi...."

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
You can adjust both the sensitivity, and whether or not to allow braking and alert, or just alert. Even just the alert will help.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Typical Italian electronics. You know what Italians say over auto electronics? "If you want them to work buy an Audi...."
And if you want them to last off-warranty, buy a Honda.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
As was said, I've disabled active braking after it engaged on the highway traffic at 20mph without any visible collision threat. (Verified on dash camera)

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Dirty windshields can cause unreliable responses.
And we all know that these wrangler windshields are awesome and never dirty. So no problems should be caused by this.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You can adjust both the sensitivity, and whether or not to allow braking and alert, or just alert. Even just the alert will help.
Yes, but sensitivity on low still false positives.

And as I mentioned we disable the auto-brake because of this so safety is still as fast as your foot can move.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've got mine mine set on the medium setting. It if 13000 miles, it's gone off 4 times tops without some one in front of me. Maybe a dozen times its alerted me as someone was pulling over/changing lanes and maybe I was a bit aggressive on coming up behind them (they slowed, I didn't).

On the times that this has happened, the brakes acted like they were aggressively tapped, not locked up and I came to a stop. If someone was riding my ass that close when this happened, they probably deserved to be brake checked.

Honestly, this was the one option on the Jeep I bought that I wasn't interested in getting, but I bought off the lot and used that to my advantage in negotiations. I'm glad I got it. More so for the Adaptive cruise control though.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
In theory.

The only problem is the system false positives so often that you end up disabling the auto-brake as it's downright dangerous. A thread is on here over this. Mine false positives once or twice a week.

There have been people who ended up rear-ended due to a false positive and the auto-brake being enabled.

Can't stop laughing about Audi being the benchmark for electronic reliability. lol.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Can't stop laughing about Audi being the benchmark for electronic reliability. lol.
Really? Drove Audi's for 20 years and 8 or 9 different vehicles. Never a single failure or unscheduled maintenance.

What killed me on the brand was the Dieselgate with them screwing over their customers with a fix that tanked economy AND performance.

What is interesting they have now released an updated fix with an inconel turbo manifold and new computer tune that supposedly gets performance and efficiency back to where it was when dirty. Too late for me as my loyalty is gone.

Jeep life

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I rear-ended a Honda CRV yesterday. No one was hurt. It was one of those situations where the car in front is making a right on red, takes off, and then changes their mind and slams on the brakes. My fault, but why do people do that?

Bottom line: Their rear end was completely crushed. My front bumper (Hard Rock steel) had a scratch on the plastic bezel (easily replaced) that houses the fog light. That's it.

The Hard Rock bumper cut that Honda up like a can-opener. I'm not gloating; just amazed at the durability. In fact, the person I hit said "I know what my next car will be".

[Put a real crimp in my day]

p.s. I'm buying a Diesel Rubicon later this year and I'm looking forward to having the safety nannies that aren't on my JK.

Would the Advanced Safety Group have helped in this situation - or - would it have been a crap shoot?

damage.jpg
That sucks, from my knowledge, Advance Safety is an audible warning only, doesn’t engage brakes, plus it’s probably too close to have mattered
Never mind, just read threads, AS was included in my most recent build and now after reading the false positives on brakes I never knew was part of the package to begin with, think I’ll opt out

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
That sucks, from my knowledge, Advance Safety is an audible warning only, doesn’t engage brakes, plus it’s probably too close to have mattered
Never mind, just read threads, AS was included in my most recent build and now after reading the false positives on brakes I never knew was part of the package to begin with, think I’ll opt out
I believe that it does engage the brakes, but, to your point, I was traveling slower than the system minimum speed (5 mph?)

You should have seen the double-take that I did seeing my Jeep was unscathed after seeing their rear-end damage.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, I’m confused. The thread title mentions the bumper option but your post mentions hard rock steel as if it’s an aftermarket bumper.

Are you saying to not order the factory bumper and get an aftermarket one or order the factory steel bumper because that’s what you have? What the hell is hard rock steel?
Sponsored