First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wait, I’m confused. The thread title mentions the bumper option but your post mentions hard rock steel as if it’s an aftermarket bumper.

Are you saying to not order the factory bumper and get an aftermarket one or order the factory steel bumper because that’s what you have? What the hell is hard rock steel?
The "Hard Rock" is the top-of-the-line JK Rubicon model that came with factory steel bumpers as standard equipment. Its front bumper is essentially the one currently offered in the factory optional JL steel bumper group. Besides it's durability (see accident photos), I suspect that they add value at trade-in that aftermarket bumpers don't.

Bottom line: I'm recommending Jeep's JL steel bumper option.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I believe that it does engage the brakes, but, to your point, I was traveling slower than the system minimum speed (5 mph?)

You should have seen the double-take that I did seeing my Jeep was unscathed after seeing their rear-end damage.
According to the owners manual, minimum speed for activation is 3 MPH (5 KPH)

TDog W

First Name
TDog W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Vette, 11 Sienna SE, 15 Challenger, 20 Punk'n Rubicon
Occupation
Chillin
I rear-ended a Honda CRV yesterday. No one was hurt. It was one of those situations where the car in front is making a right on red, takes off, and then changes their mind and slams on the brakes. My fault, but why do people do that?

Bottom line: Their rear end was completely crushed. My front bumper (Hard Rock steel) had a scratch on the plastic bezel (easily replaced) that houses the fog light. That's it.

The Hard Rock bumper cut that Honda up like a can-opener. I'm not gloating; just amazed at the durability. In fact, the person I hit said "I know what my next car will be".

[Put a real crimp in my day]

p.s. I'm buying a Diesel Rubicon later this year and I'm looking forward to having the safety nannies that aren't on my JK.

Would the Advanced Safety Group have helped in this situation - or - would it have been a crap shoot?

damage.jpg
Hi, That is a trick people do for insurance scams also,,,person in front stopped ,then goes,, then stop sharp...BAM..just saying ,,glad your ok

TDog W

First Name
TDog W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Vette, 11 Sienna SE, 15 Challenger, 20 Punk'n Rubicon
Occupation
Chillin
According to the owners manual, minimum speed for activation is 3 MPH (5 KPH)
Hi, It will lock them up with warning lights and all...mine did when a guy stopped short in front of me ,,,worked perfect,,,

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi, It will lock them up with warning lights and all...mine did when a guy stopped short in front of me ,,,worked perfect,,,
That's what I was hoping. There are people on this forum who have had negative experience. Perhaps they were the vocal minority.

Sponsored

Smoke ‘Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
Advanced safety group would’ve helped. If I had ordered I’d have skipped it, but I bought off the lot and aside from the windshield real estate it takes up, I’m thrilled with it. I love the ACC for road trips and in town the computer and sensors have saved my ass a couple times when my own reactions wouldn’t have been fast enough. I haven’t had any false readings or any of the issues others report. The older I get the more appreciative I am of technology that can save my butt in the event I’m not quite on my game.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advanced safety group would’ve helped. If I had ordered I’d have skipped it, but I bought off the lot and aside from the windshield real estate it takes up, I’m thrilled with it. I love the ACC for road trips and in town the computer and sensors have saved my ass a couple times when my own reactions wouldn’t have been fast enough. I haven’t had any false readings or any of the issues others report. The older I get the more appreciative I am of technology that can save my butt in the event I’m not quite on my game.
So let me get this clear, you don't think "paying better attention" is a good alternative? That's been suggested by some of the Luddites among us. :)

I'm all in. I turn 65 in a few months and welcome all the help that I can get.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
On the JL I just ordered I did not add this feature....but I probably should have. I had this feature on a 16 Genesis I owned. It saved me once when I had a lapse of attention. That said I would not get it if the system only warned me...but did not apply the brakes.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
So let me get this clear, you don't think "paying better attention" is a good alternative? That's been suggested by some of the Luddites among us. :)

I'm all in. I turn 65 in a few months and welcome all the help that I can get.
63 - with you on all the help I can get. Always like to read about "paying attention" and how folks should be 100% into driving their vehicles (key word should). I don't care how good of a driver someone thinks they are, they usually aren't. Only takes that one time you are distracted, where technology may have helped.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have had the JL Advance safety group for about 12k miles, and a similar system on my Acura for about 96k miles. Both work the same, both can give false positives in similar situations. I would hope those systems would prevent this, but I really can't say. Kudos @rickinAZ for admitting this was technically your fault, but the person in front certainly wasn't doing you any favors (I've been in a similar situation). One reason I went with the factory steel bumper in case there was a minor fender bender, instead of having a cracked up plastic bumper, hopefully the steel would be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In the seconds following my rear-ender, I saw the considerable damage that I'd done to the Honda out my windshield and worried about my front-end. I was careful not to look back at my Jeep until I made sure the Honda's occupants were alright. When it was more socially acceptable, I stole a peek over my right shoulder to survey my damage - I was shocked that it looked factory fresh (except for a cracked plastic fog lamp bezel). Beefy.

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I was going to go with the plastic bumper and buy an aftermarket one, but most of the aftermarket ones have too much "Darth Vader's mask" feel to them, so I went with the factory steel, the more I looked at it the more it grew on me.

upload_2020-3-14_16-15-41.png

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I really dig the Mopar steel front bumper. Not as much of a fan of the rear steel bumper though.
Agreed, I've read stories of it's flexing and causing body damage when bottomed out off road. I'm going to replace it with one that takes the weight of the spare off of the tailgate, if I can find one that doesn't rattle.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
At the risk of sounding like I'm accident prone, my Hard Rock was rear-ended a few years ago by a Tundra in the Costco gas line. He had $1,000 worth of grill damage; my Jeep zero. I do like the semi-indestructible feeling that these bumpers give you.
Sponsored