In Arizona and buying out of state?

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Sport S - Ordered
I'm still in the planning stages, but hope to order a 2dr JL one of these days. I see the dealers in Idaho are offering great deals.

My questions are to any Arizona people who have done this... whats the procedure?
Do you drive it home on a temp plate?
Do you have to emission it in Arizona before going to DMV? or do they wave this because its new?
What % did you pay for Arizona sales tax.
Was it an easy process or a hassle?

Also, I have been told you only need to pay AZ state portion of the tax which is 5.6%. And you don't have to pay any city tax (usually another 3-4% if bought locally).
It that's true, that could be another $1500 in tax savings over buying in town.

Thanks for any input,
Dale
Sponsored

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
The simple way is to read the Dennis Dillon thread, and email the contact listed there. What I did was to use the Jeep web page to build my Jeep the way I wanted, used the print summary to save it as a PDF and emailed it to him. He will send you back a build out and price sheet, Ordering is done through email, they will send you the process they follow. Az tax is paid, nothing is paid to Idaho. This was a very easy process with no hassle for me. Registration will be done when you get back to AZ,

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm still in the planning stages, but hope to order a 2dr JL one of these days. I see the dealers in Idaho are offering great deals.
Was it an easy process or a hassle?
Thanks for any input,
Dale
2 door is a far better choice than a 4 door ; 4 door looks and drives like nursing home van , 2 door looks and drives like sports car .
Process will be easier if your name is Dale Dillon , and you remind Dennis Dillon you are his closest relative .
Will you fly airline to Boise ?, or stop in Salt Lake ?
Some people say Jim Marsh in Vegas is also a good deal : fly to Boise , then fly back to Vegas , then drive home to Arizona from Vegas .
Also say Earnhardt in Gilbert Ariz. is also a good deal : fly back to Ariz. from Vegas , then drive back from Gilbert .
Only problem with Idaho , or Vegas , is you cannot take a 24 hour test drive to verify quality of Jeep . Quality of the Jeep is probably the Most Important Factor to consider ; 24 hour test drive is mandatory .

Last edited:
OP
OP
DatsunX3

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Sport S - Ordered
Thanks guys, I will read the Dillon thread as suggested. Once I will get my order ready, I will shop a few dealers locally and some from out of state. I could do a short vacation to get the jeep from out of state if the price is worth it.
Dale

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
2 door is a far better choice than a 4 door ; 4 door looks and drives like nursing home van , 2 door looks and drives like sports car .
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but obviously others disagree with you, or otherwise 4 doors wouldn’t outsell 2 doors 3 to 1.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but obviously others disagree with you, or otherwise 4 doors wouldn’t outsell 2 doors 3 to 1.
Touche , you win . Very good answer .
Of course , Jeep manufactures three times as many 4 doors because many customers have many rug rats and a lot of junk to haul around .
Of course , VW outsells 2 door Jeeps as well , but VWs are of inferior performance . ( Ask any tow truck operator .)
Of course , the 4 doors are purchased by a suburban type of person , ( the sedentary , non-active , shambling galoot , follower , nursing home van driver type , ) .
Of course , the 2 doors are purchased by an active type of person , ( the alert , observant , ourdoorsman , clever, self-reliant , sports car type .)
Just kidding @Redrubi .

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Touche , you win . Very good answer .
Of course , Jeep manufactures three times as many 4 doors because many customers have many rug rats and a lot of junk to haul around .
Of course , VW outsells 2 door Jeeps as well , but VWs are of inferior performance . ( Ask any tow truck operator .)
Of course , the 4 doors are purchased by a suburban type of person , ( the sedentary , non-active , shambling galoot , follower , nursing home van driver type , ) .
Of course , the 2 doors are purchased by an active type of person , ( the alert , observant , ourdoorsman , clever, self-reliant , sports car type .)
Just kidding @Redrubi .
Great answer! All’s good. And I wasn’t trying to start an argument or debate. And thanks for pointing out what group I belong in being a 4 door owner hahaha! Enjoy your 2 door as much as I will enjoy my 4 door. See you on the trails!
Sponsored