First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I'm adding the OEM pads to my existing seats. I'll order the Katzkin leather and do it when I convert them over. It's really not difficult. I did this on a few previous vehicles. Hog ring pliers are about all you need. Or take to an upholstery shop and/or order a new set of pads ($200ish) and avoid the teardown of the current seats. The voltage is 12V (give or take), that's not the issue, the issue will be the temperature sensors that complete the setup. Without those wires, you're getting a fault in the factory setup and it won't power the heating pads.

I can say with 100% confidence you're not using an aftermarket setup with the factory wiring unless the aftermarket setup has a control module of some kind. Most are simple low/high switches with a thermal relay for protection. Unless your heating pads have a minimum of four wires at the connector (each one), it's not happening.
Sponsored

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
I'm adding the OEM pads to my existing seats. I'll order the Katzkin leather and do it when I convert them over. It's really not difficult. I did this on a few previous vehicles. Hog ring pliers are about all you need. Or take to an upholstery shop and/or order a new set of pads ($200ish) and avoid the teardown of the current seats. The voltage is 12V (give or take), that's not the issue, the issue will be the temperature sensors that complete the setup. Without those wires, you're getting a fault in the factory setup and it won't power the heating pads.

I can say with 100% confidence you're not using an aftermarket setup with the factory wiring unless the aftermarket setup has a control module of some kind. Most are simple low/high switches with a thermal relay for protection. Unless your heating pads have a minimum of four wires at the connector (each one), it's not happening.
Makes sense to me re: temp sensors, etc. Thanks for the help. I'd probably order a new set of OEM pads plus the sensors/harness, versus opening up the OEM seats. Possible I could then sell my OEM seats to another forum member looking for OEM seats with OEM heaters in them, especially considering I only have 5500mi on my rig. Thanks again.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
If you get bored, this spreadsheet gives you the wiring for the heated seats and steering wheel. All the information is taken from the wiring diagrams. I laid it out to group things and keep track. Each seat has power to the individual pad and a sensor with a return sensor wire. There are splices not shown but not necessary to track for my purposes.

Attachments

INDPNDT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you get bored, this spreadsheet gives you the wiring for the heated seats and steering wheel. All the information is taken from the wiring diagrams. I laid it out to group things and keep track. Each seat has power to the individual pad and a sensor with a return sensor wire. There are splices not shown but not necessary to track for my purposes.
Great info! Do you happen to have the part numbers of what you ended up purchasing to make this all happen?

I'm exploring adding the heated steering wheel and heated seats to my 2021 JLUR.

I've found the steering wheel, the steering wheel orange wiring harness that'll connect the wheel heated element, the center stack with the power seat and wheel buttons (infotainment has it with the sensors).

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Great info! Do you happen to have the part numbers of what you ended up purchasing to make this all happen?

I'm exploring adding the heated steering wheel and heated seats to my 2021 JLUR.

I've found the steering wheel, the steering wheel orange wiring harness that'll connect the wheel heated element, the center stack with the power seat and wheel buttons (infotainment has it with the sensors).
Somewhere in a previous post, I list the details for my setup.

Found it...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ring-wheel-it-can-be-done.93621/#post-1993312

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Wow. That really sucks. I have no idea what’s involved with retro fitting the seats, but I’d def want the mirrors and wheel too! I am amazed on the ram forums what can be added after the fact using alphaOBD and oem parts. Hopefully its possible for you, I was going to suggest trade for another 4xe optioned with cold weather and then I saw your color. That would be hard to part with.
Sponsored